Gym Machines you SHOULDN'T use

Options
Came across an interesting article on machines to avoid at the gym. Some were obvious ones (Ab crunch & Ab Twist), others threw me off (Smith Machine & Leg Extension). So i'm just curious what are some machines you were told aren't really beneficial? or what are some other gym machine myths you want to bust whether its for or against a machine?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not about specific machines as it is about an unnatural path of motion and the fact that the machines are stabilizing the weight for you. That's why I am an advocate of free weights and learning good form. It's is a more natural range of motion and the full muscle development benefit of having to use supporting muscles to stabilize the weight instead of isolating muscles.
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Each of those have a specific purpose and use, I would not call them bad or not beneficial. What seems to be of no benefit to the beginners, could be a huge benefit to the pro's.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Could someone please tell me what's wrong with the ab crunch machine? When I went to the gym a few years ago, I felt like it helped. I've been thinking of joining the gym again, partially to use the weight machines, especially the ab crunch.

I know (when I wasn't paying attention) that I heard something about this machine not being good, but I can't remember what the reason was. Also, I have a lot of low back pain, so I definitely don't want to do anything to make that worse.

Thanks...
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    the leg extension machine can be bad for the knees if your knee is under a 90 degree angle, and if you have knee problems you should have it set greater than 90 degrees. I was in physical therapy for 3 years total learning how to walk again from a knee injury and I do have atrophy in my left quad. The leg extensions helped me build my muscle back up but it will always be smaller than my right leg. I don't use them every time I train my quads though.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not about specific machines as it is about an unnatural path of motion and the fact that the machines are stabilizing the weight for you. That's why I am an advocate of free weights and learning good form. It's is a more natural range of motion and the full muscle development benefit of having to use supporting muscles to stabilize the weight instead of isolating muscles.
    ^this