What running shoes are the best?

Options
tlnurse
tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
Have been challenged to start couch to 5 K.....am due for some new running shoes. What brand and/ or style do you runners think are the best?:happy:

Replies

• doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight, feet, surface you run on.
  • ylime412
    ylime412 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really reccomend to go to a speciality running store and have them measure your feet. The people there are experts and will analyze your gait and feet to make sure you wear a shoe that actually fits well. I got new running shoes last month from a running store and I couldn't be happier. I have no more pain or blisters and it has actually helped me run faster!
  • ikoiko33
    ikoiko33 Posts: 43
    Options
    It really depends on your feet … including bone structure, and the physical mechanics of how you walk/run and distribute your weight. Everyone has different preferences and issues with their feet … so what might be the right fit for someone else, may not be the right fit for you.

Saucony and New Balance, at least in my opinion, as well as my podiatrist, make the best running shoes. If there is a New Balance store near you, check them out and they can properly fit your feet on their computer. I was very impressed with them … they were able to recommend the same type of orthotic inserts that my doctor had prescribed for me, without telling them that he had. New shoes and inserts weren't cheap … however, I have been able to run & workout with NONE of the foot, ankle, knee & hip issues that used to plague me … simply because I was wearing the wrong type of shoe.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    It depends on your weight, feet, surface you run on.

And stride. If you have a good running shop nearby they will be able to help you pick an appropriate pair of running shoes.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I definitely recommend getting fitted for running. It will make running much better and keep you from getting all kinds of pain.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I went to a store that actually measured my gait and my stride and all that jazz and the shoes that they recommended have been KILLING my feet! I can't walk long distances in them, let alone run. When I do my Insanity workouts, I do them all barefoot. I have been doing more research on barefoot running, or running in the minimalist shoes (Vibrams 5 Fingers, or Skeletoes). I think I am going to look into these type of shoes. I also have seen quite a few people wear them to the gym and I know a lot more people are using them for walking/running.

Good luck to you!
  • Runner50266
    Options
    I overpronate and wear Brooks and I never take them off (I sleep in them) j/k. But they wear like a dream. But they were fitted by professionals like mentioned above. That's the only way to go.
  • tlnurse
    Options
    Weight 145. Surface will be roads/side walks, etc
  • tlnurse
    Options
    Where do you get "Brooks" shoes?
  • tlnurse
    Options
    Thanks.....will google a store!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's totally individual. When I was heavier I liked Asics, but now I am better in Brooks. Asics are too heavy for me now, and I don't need serious cushioning. It's up to you and your running style.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The best option would be to get fitted at a running specialty store. If you absolutely can't do that, check out this site:

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

Most important, whatever shoe designed for your mechanics is best. Do not pay any mind to how it looks. Cool shoes are for people admiring their feet while sitting on a couch.
  • beccahummel423
    beccahummel423 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendations to have a professional fitting. There are some national chains like Fleet Feet, but if you don't have one in your area, you can contact a local running club for a store recommendation.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I love my minimus shoes. So awesome...
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I got my shoes at a local running store. The measured me and all that jazz, and watched me walk. They had me try on Mizuno Wave Rider 15s and I think I'm going to be brand loyal for life. They feel amazing on my feet. I took 4 minutes off my 5 mile time the morning after I switched shoes. My old shoes had been holding me back because they weren't made for running.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I love my minimus shoes. So awesome...

^ This. Love my Trail Minimus shoes! But you should go to a running shoe store for a stride analysis to get a sure and comfortable pair. Good Luck!
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on your preference and what you think you need. If you are going to be running on hard surfaces (sidewalks, pavement), ones with cushion are probably better than those that are more for support. I personally am a fan of asics, as is my boyfriend who is much more of a serious runner than I am. He ran in asics for multiple years, got a pair of Brooks that he said were much more lightweight, but switched back to asics (gel nimbus or cumulus) right before running a marathon and was so happy he did. But yeah, definitely go to a running store and ask them for help..or look up specific shoes that are what you're looking for (road vs trail running, cushion vs support, etc).
  • Runner50266
    Options
    I got my Brooks at the fitness store in Iowa where I was fitted. Any good shop will recommend a few brands/models after they see you running (I got up on their treadmill and ran and they videotaped my running gait). It is truly individual and what works for you. Good luck!!
  • ipock
    ipock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well I'll just pile on and say to go ahead and get fitted. It changed everything about the way I run, especially how much I enjoy it.
  • emmae50
    emmae50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just got Brooks, as well. Love them. I went to a running store and tried on a lot before picking them. They aren't cheap, but worth it. The other thing that is good about getting fitted is you might not pick the right size on your own. I usually wear an 8, and my running shoes are a 9. Crazy.