I was approached at the gym tonight!

Options
2»

Replies

• Arlene_D
    Arlene_D Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a genuine compliment ...enjoy it and let it spur you on. It is so nice when others take the time to notice and say a kind word..and I am certain that you are quite worthy of the compliment. Get used to it there'll certainly be more compliments in your future.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What a nice complement! I would feel proud if I was you! Congrats!!
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    I would personally feel a bit weirded out to know that someone is watching me look awful, sweating like a dang ol pig..but!!! I would be super flattered as well :happy: There are many times where I often find myself wanting to commend others, but I'm afraid to come off as a creep or them taking it the wrong way :blushing:
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    feel flattered! i think that it's wonderful he approached you and told you how great you were doing! i know so many people who are overweight (especially women) feel uncomfortable going to the gym, but they shouldn't! MOST people are not thinking anything negative. all of that is in our heads. i guarantee 9 times out of 10, people are thinking "wow... she's really dedicated! she's doing great!"
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You worked hard and someone was impressed enough to tell you, I would take that for the win.

I notice people working hard at the gym and I often say something along the lines of, 'well done', 'great work' or the like. Doesn't matter if they are male or female, young or old, big or small, heavy or light I'm sure everyone likes to hear someone has noticed the effort they are putting in. I know I do when someone passes comment on what I am doing at the gym and is it not just what we do on here when we make a supportive comment on a friend's posting saying what they burned working out?

Unfortunately in this day and age our first reaction to an innocent act of kindness is often suspicion rather than taking it at face value and that is a shame.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have a guy in his sixties at my gym who always talks to me, he's really cool, he's also complimented me (not in a creepy way I must add, but on me exercising out in the "Guys area")

That guy did me a HUGE favor by being kind to me as I was nervous about going in the weight area as I'd never seen girls in there, he made me feel more at ease going the second time as he said hi the first, the other guys also now talk to me which is cool and there's this other one guy who is ace and gives me pointers, he also encouraged me to do more decline push-ups when I was about to slump to the floor. I found that the guys are way cooler in my gym than the majority of the girls, I have no idea why I was so afraid.

Take it as a compliment, I think it was meant that way :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think he was being nice and it was a compliment.

Unless his hand was down his pants.

And I mean the front of his pants, not the back, that'd be REALLY creepy.
  • rader1
    rader1 Posts: 13
    Options
    If you are at the gym the same time everyday, then you are there with the same people. After a while the faces become familiar to you and you notice the changes in body shapes. So take it as a compliment, and like he said keep it moving!
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think it was absolutely a compliment. I know that I should encourage people more at the gym. I was spinning this morning and the woman behind me (she was probably in her early 60s) and she was WORKING it. It was a long endurance set and she fought through the whole thing. I turned around and told her that she was awesome. I hope that she didn't take this the wrong way because I was really impressed. It is hard enough to get in the gym, let alone give it all we have and leave our sweat on the floor!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I know I'd be weirded out if a man in his 60s complimented me! :laugh: But seriously, he was just probably trying to be nice. He may notice you and you hard work; and your beauty.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    As long as he isn't following you out to the parking lot ......

I'm sure you'll get way more compliments as time goes by ......... most people try to be encouraging ..... but if "alarm bells" go off in your head, back away & find a staff member .....

Good job !
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Take this as encouragement and a compliment.:drinker:
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    I would take it as a compliment!!
  • TelynSmiffy
    Options
    Take it as a compliment! You've put a lot of hard work and dedication into getting where you are now, so it's wonderful that someone complimented you and acknowledged all of your hard work! Keep it up!:flowerforyou:
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Even if he was trying to get his creep on, he was doing it with a compliment that is clearly true!! Look for a wedding ring (or ring marks) next time you see him just for the info. But I don't care the age or the gender, if someone IS attracted to you or notices you, that's a big ole compliment.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think he is impressed by your commitment and hard work and wanted you to know he admires you. I would take it as a compliment and keep on trucking. :smile:
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before! I have several fan club members! :o)
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    You should definitely take it as a compliment. Your hard work is obviously inspiring to others!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Its ok, a really elderly gentleman came upto me while I was warming up to lift on Saturday and told me I was very pretty, and not to lose my femininity and become 'too muscular'. Whilst it was sweet, I was like, yeah, Im'a go ahead and keep lifting.