Is it more important to meet your marco's or calories??

Options
Just a question concerning macros. I have mine set to 20/40/40 carbs, protein, fat.
When I meet my carb marco I don't get enough cals, but when I meet my cals I go over on carbs.
Which is more important for fat loss??

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Both are important, you already have a low carb setting, so unless you have your heart set on low carb, you'd be okay going over to meet your calorie goals. As long as it's healthy food you should be fine.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Only calories matter for weight loss. BUT, good macros are what make you healthy on the inside so you don't end up with health problems despite being skinny.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    Thanks. I may up my settings to 30/40/30 and see if that evens its self out :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    macros for me. i don't count cals.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Only calories matter for weight loss. BUT, good macros are what make you healthy on the inside so you don't end up with health problems despite being skinny.

This is it.

Technically, you can lose weight eating nothing but snickers bars so long as you don't go over your calories, but you won't be healthy.

In order to be healthy you have to mind your macros AND you micro nutrients.

I find that if you eat healthy in that regard, the calories will take care of themselves more or less.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Polo...
  • wewon
    Options
    Polo...

LOL!

I just caught that.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I just started really looking at my macros today. I have only concerned myself with calories up until this point, but I have hit a plateau for the past 5 weeks so I need to do something different.

I decided to start tracking my sugar and was horrified to see that with just my breakfast I was over on my sugar for the entire day! I need to seriously look at my diet and see what changes I can make. I will track it for the next week and then decide what I will change.

I know it is supposed to be calories in vs calories out but when your sugar is that out of whack it can't be good...can it?
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather meet Marcos, they sound sexy, I meet calories all the time, they just get me in trouble. ;)
  • wewon
    Options
    I know it is supposed to be calories in vs calories out but when your sugar is that out of whack it can't be good...can it?

Typically no.

Its usually a sign of eating too many processed foods or good ol' junk food.

Or in some instances you may be eat a lot of fruit.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    The short answer is calories.

The long answer is that I think you should focus more on meeting your protein intake instead of not going over on carbs. When you aim for something positive it's easier than trying to avoid doing something.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    The only reason for my concern is when I work on eating lower carbs (to fit my macro) I net around 7-800 cals which is really low.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

The long answer is that I think you should focus more on meeting your protein intake instead of not going over on carbs. When you aim for something positive it's easier than trying to avoid doing something.

Word.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

Word.

to the wise.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Word.

to the wise.

and word to your mother.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Who is this Marco you're meeting?
  • healthymission92
    Options
    Oops, I didn't notice the spelling error, I meant macro!! :noway:

Yes, you're right I should turn it into a positive rather than 'i have to keep carbs low'.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Polo...

Darnit!! you beat me!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather meet Marcos, they sound sexy, I meet calories all the time, they just get me in trouble. ;)

=)).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on where you are now and what your long-term goals are. Cutting calories will always lead to an initial weight loss, but over a certain period of time, neglecting certain macros will lead to dietary defiencies. The body responds to these deficiencies in different ways. These automatic responses by the body are designed to prevent starvation, and therefore, will hinder weight loss. So if you are only looking to lose 20 or 30 lbs, then just watching your calories should be sufficient. If you have more to lose and expect to take a long time losing them, then you have to be more mindful of your macros and eat a more balanced diet.

Personally, I don't think your macros provide for a balanced diet. I have mine set at 40/30/30 and have had a much easier time shedding body fat than I did using MFP's guidelines. Of course, I have never had my carb macro set so low so I can't really speak against it. However, it is my understanding that eating high quantities of protein and low quantities of carbs makes it harder for your liver to function. I hope this helped.