What running shoes are the best?

Options
2»

Replies

• tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input everyone! I googled running stores near me and wll be making a road trip soon. I've never actually been "fitted" for running shoes. Have always just used my Nike cross-trainers for everything...but feel if I'm gonna try to get serious in running, I will want the right "equipment" besides my heart to help me perform!!!:love:
  • grapeape09
    grapeape09 Posts: 10
    Options
    I went to a store that actually measured my gait and my stride and all that jazz and the shoes that they recommended have been KILLING my feet! I can't walk long distances in them, let alone run. When I do my Insanity workouts, I do them all barefoot. I have been doing more research on barefoot running, or running in the minimalist shoes (Vibrams 5 Fingers, or Skeletoes). I think I am going to look into these type of shoes. I also have seen quite a few people wear them to the gym and I know a lot more people are using them for walking/running.

Good luck to you!

I have been wearing Vibrams for over a year now and absolutely love them. I used to have all sorts of hip and knee pain and they have all gone away. Be sure to break them in. Your body isn't used to using a lot of these muscles. I tried to wear a regular sneaker after hurting my foot (not because of the shoes) and they were so uncomfortable. Make sure you actually try on a few different pairs as well. They all have a different feel.
  • AbacoRaveness
    Options
    Firstly, I agree 100% with getting fitted at a running store if you're actually running quite a bit.

That said, having stated that you are starting a couch to 5k I think it begs the question: Have you ever run before?

If not, you might want to start with something a bit more inexpensive until you figure out whether or not you're going to like it. The way the C25K works you will absolutely not injure yourself running in relatively cheap shoes for the first few weeks. That's just my opinion, and the way I've approached everything I've ever done from running, to horseback riding, to motorcycles. When I started my C25K program I started in running shoes from Payless. Obviously they weren't ideal, but they weren't as bad as I thought they would be and they got me started until I figured out if I was gonna keep it up. It works for me so just wanted to make the suggestion.