Destined for fatness.

Options
Have you ever had the feeling that you arent cut out to join the folks on the lower side of the BMI slider? I've been a fairly large guy throughout my life. Surely its not just me that cant see a change in the future. No matter how much i want it? Lemme know.

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    well, I'm sure there are other people that can see it that way!

I also think that some people are genetically gifted with different kinds of muscle fibers - the kind that seem to react and form more quickly than other people - so they get an automatic reinforcement for their "healthy habits" more than the people who have less of that kind of muscle fiber and it takes MUCH more effort to achieve a certain look. (does that make sense?)

so, with that being said, it might take more work for some people and therefore it might be harder to see oneself "there" ......

I just get irritated with people who seem to be naturally inclined to be athletic that look down on people that aren't. I really do believe it takes more from some people than others. But, in the end, everyone can get there - it's just a lot of work! Well worth the effort though!! :D
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    no.. i didn't get fat til after i had kids

good thing low carbing helps me
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I always thought that! dont give up! you can do it!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I too have been 'big' my whole life, but that's because of uneducated/uncaring parents and laziness on my part. If you feel like you can't do this, you're probably not ready to take the big leap and actually DO IT. If you need the motivation, feel free to add me. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ^I'll second FuneralDiner's invitation to add me as well.

She can vouch for how supportive I can be. :)

As for me, I'll NEVER be able to get to the low end of the BMI scale. As I sit right now, the lowest I can go, and still be healthy, is 22.6. Once I build some muscle, I'll be tipping the scale for "overweight." I'm just a big guy. When I'm finished here, I won't be fat, but I am, as they would say, "big boned." Nothing wrong with that.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes! You are not alone. But, a lifetime of health is worth so much more than a few hours or days of struggle from diet and exercise. Losing weight isn't easy...if it were, we'd all be at our goals. However, stick with it, keep your goals in mind, and more importantly, believe that you are WORTH the time and effort for change!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    You can change anything if you put your mind and soul into it. A year ago I use to eat a large stuff crust pizza from Pizza Hut alone in one sitting, this pass week I ate a quarter of a large pizza and I felt like my stomach was going to explode. It's choices we make that can change us, baby steps and you can one day look at the fatness and smile cause it will be a memory.

But only if you decide to do something about it.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I SEE YOU JUST JOINED IN JULY THIS YEAR. GIVE IT CHANCE - NOTHING WORKED FOR ME REALLY UNLESS I WENT ON STRICT DIETS WHICH I HATED. I STARTED SHEDDING THE WEIGHT WHEN I JOINED THIS SITE CAUSE EVERYTHING WAS RIGHT HERE FOR ME, NO PENCIL AND PAPER NECESSARY, NO GOING FROM THIS SITE FOR CALORIE COUNT AND THAT SITE FOR EXERCISE BURN. LETS GET AT IT DUDE, YOU CAN DO IT FOR YOURSELF, RIGHT? PARDON THE ALL CAPS, I TYPE THE WAY I WANT TO WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT, SOMETIMES I LOVE CAPS. IT GETS ON PEOPLE'S NERVES, THEY CAN JUST SKIP ON DOWN TO THE NEXT COMMENT.
  • jimbo2180
    jimbo2180 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im not going to lie. Its difficult for me to get my head around. Your circle of friends have a little chuckle when you go for the healthy option and they're rocking the Big Mac meal. But im ready for this, I know I am. I've been ready for years but somewhere in the back of my mind a take-away is just so appealing!, even though i feel like hurling after i've destroyed every last bit of food on my plate. it's curious how the mind works.

All my life ive wanted nothing more than to be healthy, have clothes that fit me properly, and be able to run to my hearts content. Little things like that mean the world to me, and now im willing to do anything to get that.

Loving the support here by the way guys!
  • nichojanes
    nichojanes Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jimbo,
    I don't think there are many people in this world that are 'destine' to be fat. The natural state of humans is not intended to be fat, although build varies greatly.
    The key to this is 1. wanting to change 2. knowing you can change 3. eating right and exercising 4.getting the support you need.
    Personally I find with MFP the best thing to do is to open your food diary up to be public so your friends and others can see what you are eating. Many people will comment and give tips daily that can motivate you and make you realise what you do wrong.
    You can do this is you really want to.
    Nicho
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Whatever you think...you are right. If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're willing to learn, no one can stop you.

If you want to be obese, you can. If you want to be healthy and comfortable with your body, you can. What you think is a self fulfilling prophecy. What do you want? Believe, commit and achieve.

If you need a friend to support you, feel free to add me
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The biggest help for me has been not calling it a diet, but a lifestyle change. I will never be a six 6 model type, but will be over the moon if I get to a size 14. (UK size) I got curves and want to be proud of them.
    You need to find whats right for you, but we are all here to help get to where you want to be.
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i'm big boned and even when i was really skinny in my 20s people would always tell me that one day i would be fat...i hated that but then i started taking medication that causes weight gain and sure enough i went up to 345 lbs...i thought i was stuck...everybody had been saying that my whole life...but i was able to lose 145 pounds and am here only because i was unable to exercise and ate for comfort during a difficult time....

i now tell those people to shut up...or if anyone says that to me ...i no longer associate with them...WTF?

you can do it....it just takes work....and coming up with some sort of strategy....

waiting to lose the weight is the hardest part for me...the results are not immediate so it is good that you found this site...i am so glad i found it...it is helping me count calories..something i never thought i would be able to do...

good luck ...
  • jimbo2180
    jimbo2180 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Reading these has put a smile on my face. Its good to know some people have are/have been in the situation and have powered through the tough times or can see the exit sign in view. Im usually a fairly active person. When rugby season kicks in a play 3 times a week but for now im going the gym 3 times a week, most weeks and badminton once or twice a week. So ive always done exercise but as stupid as it sounds maybe im scared to leave the old me behind. The funny fat guy whos great for a laugh and a beer.

Im ready for this, I want this, its all ive ever wanted :)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way for years. The scale went up and down, up and down...then up. After I had my 1st baby I spent three years (including during my 2nd pregnancy) mentally prepping myself for a healthy, permanent lifestyle. Positive thoughts, writing, and verbalizing. I spent three years preparing for this journey, and that's how I know it's permanent this time. I have some really, truly AWFUL days where I feel defeated, but I visualize my goal, and I make it one day instead of all of my days. You CAN do it when you are truly ready to. Best of luck, add me if you'd like another friend to support you and cheer you on! :smile:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Reading these has put a smile on my face. Its good to know some people have are/have been in the situation and have powered through the tough times or can see the exit sign in view. Im usually a fairly active person. When rugby season kicks in a play 3 times a week but for now im going the gym 3 times a week, most weeks and badminton once or twice a week. So ive always done exercise but as stupid as it sounds maybe im scared to leave the old me behind. The funny fat guy whos great for a laugh and a beer.

Im ready for this, I want this, its all ive ever wanted :)

I think fear plays an integral role! Deep down many of us are afraid of the success of weight loss...the "now what?" feeling, the fact that it doesn't magically make your life everything you've ever dreamed it to be. Doing the physical and emotional work is necessary to make the weight stay off.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me for motivation and support as well! That is... if you don't mind the occasional metal quote. :)

I've always been on the heavy side of BMI as well - but keep in mind BMI is only one measure of fitness... it's only an approximation - one that is known to be not very accurate on larger framed or muscular people. Frame size, body composition, (basically your body fat %) and measurements are a more accurate way of measuring your fitness level.
    I've been ready for years but somewhere in the back of my mind a take-away is just so appealing!, even though i feel like hurling after i've destroyed every last bit of food on my plate. it's curious how the mind works.

Just wanted to mention that this quote sounds like binge eating... something I and many others have struggled with in the past. If you are aware of it (and logging calories on MFP is a great way to stay aware) then you can work to avoid doing that, until it no longer is a subconscious habit. I wish you luck on your journey!
  • aaz271
    aaz271 Posts: 4
    Options
    I agreed with lanie37 with the idea that it is a lifestyle change-- not a diet, and can be quite a journey for yourself. We're all here to help. It can be done!
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Dude I felt that way pretty much my whole life, well at least until sometime last year. There is no such thing as being destined for fatness, I promise. Work your *kitten* off and make the choice NOW to never look back. You will be amazed at where you can be in a year
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You can change anything if you put your mind and soul into it. A year ago I use to eat a large stuff crust pizza from Pizza Hut alone in one sitting, this pass week I ate a quarter of a large pizza and I felt like my stomach was going to explode. It's choices we make that can change us, baby steps and you can one day look at the fatness and smile cause it will be a memory.

But only if you decide to do something about it.

This. No such thing as "destined for fatness". Dont submit to that excuse.