A Silly Question for the Bilingual

Options
13»

Replies

• mielchat
    mielchat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    English about 90% of the time. A little less when I'm actually in France.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Mother language: French. I'm from Montreal.
    Working a lot in English so I often think in English, but I always count in French.
    Speaking Spanish everyday too with my coworker who is from Colombia, so I always switch from French to English with him.
    Learned German when I was 17 and using it from time to time.
  • gmleo
    gmleo Posts: 1
    Options
    Depends on the language and level of fluency. As I am completely fluent in French, I always think in French when I'm speaking it. My Spanish is functional but not perfectly fluent, and my German is laughable, so in those languages I'm usually thinking in English and doing a rapid translation in my head.
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I tend to think in English, but sometimes I'll think in Punjabi (my mother tongue) and on occasion urdu/hindi, usually when something is really bothering me lol. I turn into my mother.
  • paolathore
    paolathore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been living in the states for 4 years now, i'm originally from Mexico and my thoughts are in Spanish but sometimes I dream in English....
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly bilingual, I am taking ASL classes, but I'm not fluent. However, when I speak ASL, I think in ASL. It's easier and less time consuming to think in the language I'm speaking than to think in English and then translate to ASL.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    English, always. But I lose my English when I'm upset. I never think in Spanish though.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    For the most part I think and count in french....We mostly speak english at home though
  • Papabear0428
    Options
    I am so jealous of you!!! I would love to be fluent in something other than English, and you 've got three!!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thinking back, when i was living in france, there was no thought process as to what the person said, and how i needed to reply.

so i guess, yes, that little voice in your head does change language.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't feel a difference at least on two out of three languages..
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    my first language is English, however I also speak Spanish to an advanced level. In times of crisis my first thoughts are in Spanish (Ay, Dios mio!)
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I know some Spanish--I had to study it for two years in college on top of two years in high school. I probably could become fluent, but I have no one to talk to in Spanish. I was at the point where I was learning verbs in different tenses and reading short stories (mainly simple ones or children's tales) in Spanish. It's difficult because, I can only "think" in Spanish with simple things. I spend a lot of time translating in my head.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think in whatever language I'm using at the time, but I'm also very visual so sometimes I'm not really even thinking in a language either if that makes sense.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and lived in Greece (grade school - junior high) I thought mostly in Greek. However, after moving to the US I started thinking in English and now even have trouble speaking in Greek! ;-)
  • SA_80_2012
    SA_80_2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been in Australia since I was 9yrs old, so even though I'm from Central America and Spanish was my first language and the only language I knew well for the first 9yrs of my life, I now mostly think in English. And yeah, I still speak Spanish fluently, even though we aren't surrounded by Hispanics/Latinos or whatever you guys in the USA classify Spanish speakers as
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    depends.. If I am around my family I am thinking in Spanish around my friends and co-workers English and if you have managed to piss me off then definitely Spanish lol