eating right on a budget

Options
So I have an issue with eating right with a very small income. Currently there is 2 of us living on $1500 a month and I have no money to buy food for the next 3 weeks. How can I eat properly? I will have no fresh food to eat and may have to use the food bank. It just seems impossible to be healthy on this kind of income. Any suggestions?

Replies

• EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Do you have any urban or community gardens nearby? Many of them will give you produce for free. Good luck!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yes, your public health department should have food assistance programs (food stamps) and nutrition counseling for free. Also contact hunters for the hungry. That would be a good source of red meat. We love venison and my husband is a hunter, he donates to hunters for the hungry.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    since your income is so low, do you get food stamps or any type of food assistance? Many states are adding programs to their food assistance that give you vouchers for farmers markets so that you can get fresh, good food. If you're not on any assistance, from the sounds of it you should look into it. They have emergency plans in place for people in your situation to get you on assistance immediately.
    I know many people are embarassed to ask the state for help because of the negative stigma many people have given it. But the programs are in place for people in your situation. Obviously, if your monthly income for two is only $1500, there's some sort of family issue that your going through, wether it be someone is laid-off or ill. These programs are there to help people in their time of need and stress.
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    Eating a balanced diet doesn't have to cost a fortune. My staples are eggs, whole-grain bread, brown rice, oatmeal, broccoli and frozen chicken breast. The only thing on that list that costs more than a couple bucks is the chicken, but you definitely need some high-quality protein.

Good luck!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I understand. Same problem. With no urban garden or anything like that around. Also the garden we had with family is dying and hardly producing due to lack of rain and extreme heat. I try to buy when I can things on sale fruits, veg, meat. Then package them accordingly in small amounts and freeze them. You can do alot with dry beans and a little veg and small protein it you have or with out if you dont. I feel for you believe me I have been and sometime still am in your place. Hang in there. Can you plant a small veg garden. Even a plant our two and in pots or buckets if you don't have a yard. My sister in law has a balconey in her apartment. She has mop buckets and puts one for tomato plant with a wire cage around it to keep birds off and give the plant some stable growth. Also one with a green bean plant and one with a green peper plant. A friend of mine planted green beans and pepers and other plants in there flower beds beside there walk because that was all the room they had.

So you have an aldi or save a lot or GFS? Also froszen fruits and veg can sometimes be a good choice in a tight spot or if you don't have any good looking fresh.

Hope the idea's help. Check on here for recipes and groups that share recipes. I wish you well on your journey.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through. Been there, done that My advice would be to start making everything homemade.. Try to always keep flour, eggs, bread, peanut butter, baking soda/powder, pasta and some sort of veggies or fruit in your house even if it is canned, it is better than nothing! You'd be surprised at the things you can whip together just from your pantry and some things in your fridge that you may already had....If you have flour, baking powder, sugar and milk and egg and some butter, that's pancakes. Have eggs? Make scrambled eggs or an omelette. Peanut butter? Make sandwiches. Add a can of fruit and you have a healthy lunch. Try to buy some fresh produce... Bananas are pretty cheap IMO. I always have bananas around. Buy the prepackaged bags of fruit instead of buying them by the pound.. Rice and beans are also good to keep around.

And I would definitely try to get food stamps as others have mentioned if you haven't already.. I had them for 2 years and they were a godsend. Also google cheap healthy dinners and that should give you some ideas on what you can make with what you have.
    Best of luck to you!
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    While this might not help for the next three weeks....but what I do to save on produce is price match at Walmart. I look at all the ads online of all the surrounding grocery stores and write down the best produce deals. Then that's what we get for the week. If it's a really great deal I'll stock up. (Ex: apple can last three months in the right conditions). It's not free but it's cheap! Beans are also a good staple. Buy the dry beans and soak them yourself. Can be used in a lot of dishes at a meat substitute. I soak and cook a huge pot then freeze in can size quantities for later use.
  • socialyte1
    Options
    Many of the suggestions you have already received are good ones. I often buy marked down meats at the grocery store and freeze them. I also watch for sales on produce and frozen items like fruits and veggies. I buy them when they are $1 for a 1lb bag. You can also buy fresh produce when they have sales (3 for $5 or 2 for $1) and so on. Check into the snap benefit program in your area and try a local church for more assistance.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You should just get on EBT or go to your local food pantry. The crappy ones have pre-made bags but the good ones you get to fill up a bag or two by yourself, which is nice. They have a lot of canned vegetables, black beans, pasta, rice etc...not fruits and veggies but maybe can pick those up at your local market. But honestly if you're hurting that bad apply for emergency EBT and they'll set you up with food for the next month.

As for good foods for a budget
    Black Beans
    Great Value Mixed Veggies- Frozen but pretty good. Get the big bag it's the best deal.
    Eggs
    Oscar Myer Deli Meats like chicken or turkey, cheaper then using the deli and not bad.
    Pasta
    Even fresh veggies are semi cheap because they're in season right now...avacado's are great.
    Stuff to make salads is cheap...buy everything without the name brand because it's the same thing for cheaper.
    Perdue Perfect Portions Chicken-5 Chicken breasts of for 7 bucks not bad at all.
    Protein powder this stuff it a little pricey, sometimes you can get these at the food pantry and it's covered under EBT but it really help you get some nutrients and it's filling.

NEVER EAT OUT. Ever. Don't even spend money on a 2.50 slice of pizza because this adds up SO quick.
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible! As a poor student I used to manage the small amount of money that I had very unwisely. For a year I lived off of pasta and pancakes....yep, didn't go so well. Anyways, now I average about $20-30 a week. Do you live near a china town? or a market place? I get all my fresh produce from the nearest chinese market for around $20 (no seriously, my fridge is full). I mostly get veggies and fruit. My protein largely comes from canned tuna (only $1!!), canned beans (usually ~ $1.50) and egg whites ($3 for 8). Then I usually get the rest from Bulk barn such as quinoa, nuts, dried fruit etc. I've also seen that the dollar store sells large bags of simple oatmeal, some nuts and condiments. (however, read the nutrients of everything at the dollar store, since many of there stuff isn't that healthy). Also, you have to scout around for deals, every store is different. I usually go to four different places to get my food, buying only what they have in sale/deals. Its annoying, but worth saving the money!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Buy lots of veggies, fruits, and grains!
    If you're in WA I would suggest Lennys produce, extremely cheap produce.
    You don't need to get organic - if you don't have the means for it!

4 people running on $1300 total income.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you'll find that it's actually much, much cheaper to eat fresh on a budget than it is to eat poorly. it takes a little mental work on your part, but pound for pound you get more bang for your buck, especially if you buy things that are in season.

the grocery usually has the worst produce for the most money, so my advice to you would be to seek out a farm stand (not so much a farmer's market because they seem to be capitalizing on a trend; however, you might want to stop in and check because some vendors are better than others).

check reddit's frugal section, too. http://www.reddit.com/r/frugal

oh, and i'll try to find the site, but there's one where the blogger breaks the meals down into price per serving. once you get the hang of it, you'll see that you can literally eat well on pennies to the dollar, despite what the television will tell you.

edit: i am a freelancer on a severely tight budget. we almost never eat out, and if we do we try to only do it if we have a coupon. i grow a good portion of my own food (especially spices because they are ridiculously expensive) and i subscribe to a CSA share ($12/wk) which provides me with things I don't have room to grow. In the summer, I spend about $15/wk on food for the two of us. In the winter, that jumps to about $20-25, but much of it is stored food from the summer. The worst month is February when, basically, we eat a lot of pancakes & leftover jam. Not so great for the waistline, but it's really only one month out of the year.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Eggs, peanut butter, cottage cheese, beans and tuna are all cheap and nutritious calorie sources. Frozen veggies are often cheaper than their fresh counterparts, and result in less waste since they won't spoil quickly. If you aren't already cooking everything from scratch, now is the time to start. You can save an absurd amount of money when you stop buying convenience items. Buy family packs of meat when it's on sale, then portion it out and freeze it. Soups and casseroles are great ways to get more mileage out of your meat budget. If you have a farmer's market near you, definitely buy your fresh produce there, as it is usually cheaper than the grocery store, and almost always better.
    Eating nutritiously on the cheap isn't really too hard, since the most expensive items tend to be processed convenience foods that don't contribute much to your diet, nutritionally-speaking.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It can be done -I feed a family of 5 on alittle over $2000 a month - (we dont get any benefits we make too much money) Look at the store ads and check out deals - buy canned veggies when they are on sale - green beans etc in a can are just as good as fresh but alot cheaper. Buy produce that is in season - check out local farmers markets, community gardens, local farmer produce stands - alot may also depend on where you live I am in Ohio so there are usually farmers with stands set up at the end of there driveways etc.... We buy our beef by the side as in a quarter or half a pound at a time - i buy chicken when on sale and then freeze it. same with other meat. Personally I get most of my fresh items from Kroger our walmart has horrible produce and I have worked in there distrubution center and know how they handle there produce so that kinda put me off. Churchs usually have food banks that you can get food from . You can somtimes also get eggs from some small farms too.
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Is there anywhere you can buy food in bulk? I get oatmeal, pasta, rice, quinoa, sugar, etc all in bulk. I also try to keep these sorts of grains to a minimum, or with other proteins because they tend to make me more hungry.

Sounds crazy, but I eat black beans ALL the time! Like a can a day at least. Also it's worth it to "splurge" on greek yogurt because it does keep you satiated in the long run. Then I get eggs and tuna for more protein. I then go to the farmer's market and stock up on what's in season.

What's really helped me most was cutting out bread, tortillas, and pasta because it usually made me more hungry, and not to mention, bread and tortillas can be expensive if you're avoiding high fructose corn syrup.

Unfortunately, I do eat the same things over and over, but I've found that food just becomes less important in life. I only think of meals as a way to fuel my body anymore, freeing the mind and the wallet.
  • kayemme
    Options

Sounds crazy, but I eat black beans ALL the time! Like a can a day at least.

we eat a lot of black beans, too, but the canned ones are expensive by comparison to dry and, for beans anyway, they are very quick to cook. consider about 6 cans to the bag of dry and the dried beans are usually about $1.25lb or better.
  • kayemme
    Options
    the suggestion to check with a community garden is a good one, too. right now there should be surplus of vegetables and most people will gladly ask you to take them before you have to ask them! specifically squash which can be made into a bizillion different things, including comfort foods like pasta, pizza or tater tots.

there are many wild things to eat right now, too, so if you have any good foraging friends, ask them to take you out on a tour so you can get to know what is good to eat that grows wild. many berries are in high season right now and lots of leafy greens including miner's lettuce, dandelion greens and plantain (white man's footprint). most of these things can be found in even urban forest patches and are considered weeds, so if they are there, then it is likely the area has not been sprayed with pesticides.
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good luck getting assistance for the next few weeks. I live on a fixed income and it is always a challenge to make ends meet. Here are a few ideas that work for me.

Buy whole chickens and cut them into pieces. Cook the breast, leg, & thigh separately for a meal. Boil the wings, neck, and back with a bit of onion or celery if possible. When the chicken is cooked, debone the chicken and set aside. Return the bones to the pot and simmer to create a rich stock. Strain and discard bones/onions. Add the chicken to the stock with mixed vegetables, a little rice or pasta, and you have a great soup.

Another use for the stock is to make fried rice. Boil the rice in the stock. Add the bits of chicken and some peas & carrots for great fried rice.

Other favorites are chili made with tofu or ground meat and lots of beans, Red beans and rice with a little smoked sausage. Lentil soup with carrots.

In the past I had chickens for fresh eggs and a vegetable garden which saved me lots of money. Sometimes people with fruit trees will share their fruit. If you live in a rural area, local farmers sell their produce directly for much less than the supermarkets.

Hope this helps.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    aw, this breaks my heart!! i'm so sorry for your struggle!! there are things you can buy that won't be super expensive.

eggs are cheap and a great source of protein! stick to mainly eating the whites, like 3 egg whites and 1 full egg. also you can find canned tuna or salmon fairly reasonably priced. peanut butter on whole grain bread is another great choice! brown rice is only like $2..99 i think if you buy in in the bag instead of minute rice. canned beans are great for you. cheese is also good in monderation. cereals that have whole grains.

obviously fresh, unprocessed foods would be the best thing for you body, but since you are on a budget, these are some other good choices! good luck sweeatheart, i really feel for you!