have anyone used the menstrual cup

Options

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My question is concerning if you have to remove the cup in a public restroom. Would I have to rinse it out in the sink? That's the only option I can think of which would be very embarrassing to do in front of other people in a bathroom. And it would definitely gross out others to see someone else's menstrual blood. What do others do if they can't empty it at home and are out and about?

there are wipes you can buy that are flushable that you can keep in your purse to wipe them out with (there in the TP section at most all stores and are safe to use as toilet paper). I keep them mostly for my toddler that still sometimes has misshaps in her trainer and needs a wipe but they also work well for a quick diva cup cleaning when in a public restroom but really I can wear my cup 12-14 hours before having to dump it and thats on heavy flow days so really haveing to empty it in public isn`t a huge issue either as I normaly empty and clean it once per day right before shower / bed and I`m good till the next evening
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    dp
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    My question is concerning if you have to remove the cup in a public restroom. Would I have to rinse it out in the sink? That's the only option I can think of which would be very embarrassing to do in front of other people in a bathroom. And it would definitely gross out others to see someone else's menstrual blood. What do others do if they can't empty it at home and are out and about?

Like every one else has mentioned, usually the length in between is so substantial it isn't an issue, but then again I have worked doubles during shark week. Bottled water is a godsend. Really easy to rinse. I have a friend who uses sea sponge tampons that are reusable. She has two with her at all times but when she changes them, she rinses out the older one. In public restrooms she makes an announcement, "I am going to rinse out my tampon. If you are squeamish please ignore me" before leaving the stall. If you don't have the water or wipes and you are stuck, you can always announce it as to not alarm anyone more than they would be. Often, she has had ladies come up and ask her, "rinsing your tampon, why?"

I really love my Diva cup, especially after cutting the stem off. Nothing in the world is more disgusting than cleaning up used up tampons on the day your puppies sneak into the bathroom. It is definitely more hygienic option for me.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It sounds really strange. Is it comfy? how do you make sure it doesn't spill?
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

It is soooo much more comfortable than tampons. If it is inserted properly, I don't even feel it. I have to remind myself to take it out!

When you remove the cup, you are holding the bottom. I immediately dump it in the toilet, rinse, and reinsert it. It is really much cleaner for me than using a tampon or a pad.
  • alapoint89
    Options

It is soooo much more comfortable than tampons. If it is inserted properly, I don't even feel it. I have to remind myself to take it out!

When you remove the cup, you are holding the bottom. I immediately dump it in the toilet, rinse, and reinsert it. It is really much cleaner for me than using a tampon or a pad.
    i agree its unbelieveable
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Can you use it if you have an IUD?

Yep.

I don't think so. I bought the Diva. Then I got home & started reading the packaging - it said not to use if you have an IUD. I was completely bummed. I still have it and I plan to ask about it when I visit my gynecologist in January.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Didn't work for me, I'm afraid. Had high hopes and bought a Moon Cup but I just lose too much. Within two hours I was leaking, but this finally made me get a referral to a gynaecologist as I had proper proof that my periods were genuinely very very heavy. He's put me on Cerazette (mini pill) which has stopped my periods altogether which is a Godsend. But if your periods are light to medium I'd definitely give it a go.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    Didn't work for me, I'm afraid. Had high hopes and bought a Moon Cup but I just lose too much. Within two hours I was leaking, but this finally made me get a referral to a gynaecologist as I had proper proof that my periods were genuinely very very heavy. He's put me on Cerazette (mini pill) which has stopped my periods altogether which is a Godsend. But if your periods are light to medium I'd definitely give it a go.
    i changed it every hour for the first few days and after that i do it ever time i pee to be safe and i rarely leak
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It is the absolutely best thing ever! When I first got it I was EXCITED for my period. Seriously. lol For a couple months actually and I almost look forward to my period. I personally have no issue with the blood thing and how it can be messy. That doesn't bother me at all.

For pain, the first few times of using it it was slightly uncomfortable just my body getting used to it but then it got so much better. I never feel it at all. To the point I forget to empty it. haha

I'm also lucky with a light period (or at least when I was on the pill) so I could empty it morning, wear all day and empty it at night so it was so much better than tampons. Tampons I would have to change every few hours because they would leak even though they were hardly saturated with blood.

It never leaks...unless it didn't seal properly but that is soo easily fixed. I just rotate the cup 360 and then it's perfectly fine and doesn't leak at all.

I have PCOS and since going off the pill 4 or 5 months ago I haven't gotten my period but I seriously wish I would get it. Partly just because it would be nice to have a somewhat existant period but I don't dread my period with the cup. I look forward to it. I barely have any cramping or anything. I do not feel it at all. I FORGET I have my period.

I even got my friend hooked on it and now she's obsessed with her cup. lol

ETA: It can work for heavy flows you just have to change it more often. My friend mentioned above has a heavier flow and has to empty it every few hours or every hour on heavy days. But hey....it's still better than tampons or pads. But if your flow is super heavy it would be a good idea to head to the doctor anyway.

Another reason I love it...so convenient! No worries about being out and about without any tampons and needing one. I carry my cup in my purse at all times now. And it's so cheap when you think about how often you buy tampons/pads/pantyliners.

To some of the other comments which I don't have the energy to quote every one of them...

Painful when taking it out - make sure to break the seal otherwise it WILL hurt to take out. Plus it's much easier to take out when it's fuller so if it's near empty when you take it out try to leave it in longer.

Gives you bad cramps - use it for a few cycles. I got cramped up the first few times I used it just because my body was getting used to it still so give your body a few times to get used to it before giving up on it.

And! If one cup doesn't work for you, try another. My friend first tried a Diva Cup but she didn't like it (I forget why) so she bought a Lady Cup and now LOVES it.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yup it's great. Sooo much easier once you get the hang of it.
    The company I work for, we sell them - this is a tiny little country and we sell probably 4-500 units a year - they're getting really popular and mainstream now.

Earlier this year my daughter was in hospital for 8 days with a perforated appendix, well I had to stay the nights with her and it was period time and I didn't want to deal wit hthe cup in a public bathroom for a week, so I used tampons and ughhhhhhh never again. horrible, AWFUL things. the fluids just bypass the thing half the time and the dryness and that awful string...
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Can you use it if you have an IUD?

Yep.

A caveat: you can but it depends on the brand and your comfort level. Your strings need to be trimmed rather short and you need to make sure you break suction and don't get the strings caught when you remove it. I personally stopped using my cup after getting my IUD because I don't feel comfortable breaking the seal on my DivaCup (suction of doom!). Some cup manufacturers say not to use a cup, others say it's okay. DO NOT use Instead SoftCups with the IUD for sure though!
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I never liked the disposable ones (like Instead), but have been using the Diva for 5 years now and I would never go back, I love it and once you learn how to use it there is no mess, no fuss and no worries.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    woot go moon cup
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have the instead & can't wear them. They are too big for me. My gyno said it may take me a few tries before I find one that fits, which I was bummed cuz they are kinda pricey to try & not like. If anyone is on the smaller size internally, please give me some advice! I am mid-4o's & never had a child. I know what they "recommend" but I still wonder if I should go with the smaller size. I am looking forward to trying the none disposable kind. When in right you really can't feel them, but being so small, the Instead kept shifting every time I moved, or coughed, or whatever! Not a good thing.
    If someone wants to try them IM me & for a couple bucks to handle shipping, I'll send you one. (US only please!)
    Only have a couple left, but I have no use for them. Hate to just throw them out.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Diva Cup for years and it is awesome! Saves so much money compared to buying tampons. It does not hurt and if you put it in the correct way you should not really feel it at all (maybe the tip a little in a while). I do warn you that f you leave it in a bit long (10 hours, 12 for me) you will get a bit of a headache.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m72ukc99gh1raw6q3o1_500.gif
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have one and I've been trying to use it for months but frankly... I can't get it in. I *want* to switch to it, but I just can't!
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to use one. I should buy a new one and use it again. Once you learn to put it in correctly (which admittedly for me took a couple days) you only feel it as much as you'd feel a tampon. Less, even, because you can feel tampons after a while when they get "full" and expand, whereas the cup is the same size the whole time and doesn't have any of that awful dry cotton that scrapes on you when you pull it out.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Whew.... thank goodness for hysterectomies! LOL