Probiotics broke my plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. Plateaus are tough for educated nutritionists and doctors to explain. My plateau experience was a long one after losing 60 pounds. it lasted the better part of 8 months while I ate better and increased exercise.

it appears that plateaus are times when the body is adjusting to lower calorie intake and increased activity.

Lots of way to do the math, but higher protein and varied exercise helped stop the gain, but it was lowering the carbs and eating the calories for the weight I won't to be at the worked.

After a year here is what a see a lot of on MFP. People come in gung ho and the body usually responds to the better diet and lower calories. Some folks lose a lot pretty fast. I was 2-3 pounds a weeks - yeah! It seems like a lot of folks have these adjustment periods at 4-6 months if they hang in there that long. At some point, after hanging in there some more, things start moving again. Then there is the last 10 or 20 that seems to take forever no matter what you do. I am there now.
  • AngelAtkins61
    AngelAtkins61 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    LOL love the topic header you think you should have used LOL
    I have been stuck for almost 7 months. I go for weigh ins with my nurse practitioner. I asked her this last time about the enormous stress at work and if that could be why. I eat correctly, exercise etc and am not losing. She said the cortisol from stress could definitely be my problem :(
    I eat the greek yogurt for the protien content .. love it . I add a truvia to it as I like it a bit sweeter and some blueberries.. makes a great meal
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Interesting site, slimmergalpal. Makes me want to take horse pills for the healthy of my hind-stomach!

My plateau struck when I got down to the last 10 or so pounds, dsjohndrow, which was also about the 4-6 month time-frame you mention. Perhaps it was just waiting it out, not the probiotics, but I'm glad something is working for the moment!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ok, Tree ~ I warned you it was an Equine site. But, it does show how important Probiotics are to the system and how it does play a big roll in the effectiveness of using them. I personally think that anything that helps your body use the nutrition better is a good thing. Good Luck in your journey =) Looks like you are doing well . =)
  • treetop57
    Options
    I was serious when I said I found the site helpful. My sincere thanks. Sorry that my joke wasn't funny. :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I should learn to give my message board topics sexier names. "Am I still full of crap?"
    "I don't care what anybody says, that there is funny!"
  • LeeBee2012
    LeeBee2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if probiotics woudl be helpful to me. I had my gallbladder removed about 6 weeks ago and my weight has plateau'd also. I don't know if this will help with my digestive system and if it will help get my metabolism revved up again.
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Any update on this? ;)
  • jc501
    jc501 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in a plateau for about a month. I started eating Greek yogurt last week and the scale is moving again! I think you are on to something...
  • treetop57
    Options
    Any update on this? ;)

I was full of crap. I started taking probiotics and was slightly less full of crap. My system got used to the probiotics and just as full of crap as before.

In other words, my plateau has returned with a vengeance. Not that I'm that concerned with it. I'm so close to my goal that I could just as well up my goal as keep working toward. Not that I'm working that hard as it is!
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was full of crap. I started taking probiotics and was slightly less full of crap. My system got used to the probiotics and just as full of crap as before.

In other words, my plateau has returned with a vengeance. Not that I'm that concerned with it. I'm so close to my goal that I could just as well up my goal as keep working toward. Not that I'm working that hard as it is!
    [/quote]
    I think probiotics do help, but sometimes we still plateau. It's helped me to stop working on weight "loss" for a week or two and set my calories on "maintenance". I still worked out but instead of working out 6 days, I did 4 or 5. I still ate very clean, I just gave my body a "breather" so to speak. When I went back to a "weight loss" level of calories, my body responded much better.
  • usnwifey
    usnwifey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well as others have said I was "full of crap" lol looked bloated even w a very low carb diet after one cheat day. These have helped a lot and taken me from having a BM 3 times a week to once or twice daily!! Lol Sorry TMI! But my waist does look way smaller now!!