Frustrating

Options
2»

Replies

• ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    You'll get there. Just try to enjoy yourself while you're losing these last 3 lbs. Eat healthy foods you like, and like SHBoss1673 said, it's just 3 lbs, so don't stress too much.

-Alison
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A full glass of Water helps also :)

Do you really find water helps? Water has never had much of an effect on my appetite...it wouldn't stay in your stomach for very long, so the effects couldn't be very long-lasting? Your brain supposedly knows the difference between whether it got calories or not, and supposedly hunger won't cease until your body gets some real food. I'm always surprised when people say that water helps when they're hungry. I know thirst can sometimes be mistaken for hunger, but other than that situation, I can't see how it would help appetite.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    A full glass of Water helps also :)

Do you really find water helps? Water has never had much of an effect on my appetite...it wouldn't stay in your stomach for very long, so the effects couldn't be very long-lasting? Your brain supposedly knows the difference between whether it got calories or not, and supposedly hunger won't cease until your body gets some real food. I'm always surprised when people say that water helps when they're hungry. I know thirst can sometimes be mistaken for hunger, but other than that situation, I can't see how it would help appetite.

It helps me- as long as I keep drinking it!

Which inevitably fails because I either reach the point where I can't drink another drop, or else I'm running to the bathroom like a pregnant woman.

It's a useful tool to take the edge off of hunger for short periods of time (like when I know dinner will be in a half an hour and I'm hungry, but don't want to snack), but isn't overly helpful for anything longer than that.
  • JOY621
    JOY621 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I chew a lot of gum when I crave for sweets. I don't know if that is a good idea. But that gets me through the afternoon.

195581.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    wow, so you're pretty tiny then huh? 1400 cals, you're what? about 4'11" or so?
    [/quote]

I'm 5' 4 and my maintenance cals are 1354 so I doubt this person is 4' 11

Try eating smaller meals and leaving more calories for your snacks, or try eating 5 mini meals a day. Change things up and see what works for your body! You shouldn't have to be hungry everyday. Exercise more to get more cals to eat. IMO you shouldn't be eating under 1200 cals...again JUST MY OPINION
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Stay at 1200 calories. If you're maintenance calories are 1400, then that's still a 200 calorie per day deficit. At that rate you should lose a pound every 17.5 days. I know that sounds like a lot, but when you're that close to your target, you can't always expect dramatic weight-losses.

If you're still hungry, I'd re-evaluate what you're eating....? Also, I agree with previous posters. Is 3 pounds really worth the stress?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I'm 5' 4 and my maintenance cals are 1354 so I doubt this person is 4' 11

Try eating smaller meals and leaving more calories for your snacks, or try eating 5 mini meals a day. Change things up and see what works for your body! You shouldn't have to be hungry everyday. Exercise more to get more cals to eat. IMO you shouldn't be eating under 1200 cals...again JUST MY OPINION

I have an extremely hard time believing someone who is 5'4" has a maintenance of 1354, are you sure you don't mean BMR?

put it this way, I just did the calculation, a 5'4" 33 year old woman who weighs 120 lbs and is moderately active has a maintenance calorie intake of 1910.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    actually, you know, that made me think about a maintenance of 1400 seems EXTREMELY low. So I did the calc on that.

At 49 years old and moderately active she would have to be around 4'9" and 90 lbs in order to have a maintenance calories of 1400 (actually that's 1412), so I think she maybe thinking of BMR as well. Unless that is her actual height and weight.

you guys can do your own calculation here:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought that's what BMR was, the cals you burn daily:embarassed:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Sorry, I thought that's what BMR was, the cals you burn daily:embarassed:

Nope, BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate, essentially about the number of calories your body would need if you were in a coma. It's usually between 60 and 75% of your daily maintenance calories
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I chew a lot of gum when I crave for sweets. I don't know if that is a good idea. But that gets me through the afternoon.

195581.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans

I find that gum makes me hungrier.. although I do agree with the brocolli is filling statement! I think you have to really play around here with your calories. Try a big breakfast, med lunch and smaller dinner and about 2-3 snacks. Hope you find your balance!