Hot yoga...anyone tried it?

Options
On a whim today I bought a groupon for ten hot yoga type classes.
So now I am wondering what I am in for ...has anyone tried it? Any tips or advice?

Also I have never really done yoga before, will this matter? Wanting to try something new.

Replies

• EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I intend on signing up for a month trial next Paycheck. I'll let you know how it goes. But I must say, I am nervous!
  • LovelyLathrop
    Options
    I want to do it sooo bad!!! But i'm too much of a chicken as I have never done yoga before and am afraid it will just be a train wreck... (i'm not very flexible, tend to have poor balance, and usually laugh a lot in awkward situations) All bad things for relaxing yoga..
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Do you know if it is Bikram? It might be helpful to find what exactly they are teaching. Hot yoga could be pretty much anything done in a hot studio.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I did it a couple of months ago, my friend and I bought a Groupon also. I found it to be a nice change of pace. At my studio once you leave you are not allowed back in. I guess it gets distracting. I heard of places that don't let you out at all. If you get overwhelmed you just have to lay there and breathe lol.
    I had never done any yoga either up until this point. Seriously after about 5 minutes you will wish you were naked. Many people around me were just about naked. There are all shapes and sizes there. There are male athletes to soccer moms. People pretty much use it as a time for mediation so no one is looking to see what you are doing. I wasn't able to complete a lot of the moves but improved over the month.

The language used made my friend and I giggle to each other. The instructor would say things like "Now introduce your elbow to your ear"... We both enjoyed the classes but for some it might take some getting used to. There was a lot of talking about self love and such, so if you aren't a spiritual or sappy person this could be a little weird. I truly felt different while doing Hot Yoga like an out of body experience. I see the appeal.

There were many classes to choose from throughout the day. I would suggest freezing your water bottle, when you are dying of thirst boiing water doesn't hit the spot ;) If I rememer correctly the room is 104 degrees.
    Read this CL ad for a yoga mat.It is so hilarious because it is spot on!

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/2597736393.html
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    It is birkam (sp?) Style yoga. I forgot to add that, sorry.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.bikramyoga.com/BikramYoga/TwentySixPostures.php

This should give you an idea of what is involved. Keep in mind that the whole idea behind yoga is to work within your limitations, and there is nothing to be gained by trying to be like someone else.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I've done Bikram quite a bit. It's totally intense. I like it. There's no feeling quite like the one walking out of there. Don't be intimidated, just participate as much as you can and not when you can't. Usually there are all levels of skill and all body types in the classes I've taken. Some new people spend most of the 90 minutes lying on their mat just trying to bear the heat.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga. It really helps to calm your brain and relax the body. The movement is very slow and steady and quiet. It can get overwhelming though. Make sure to bring plenty of water and you'll definitely need a towel.

It's like 1 hour of good suffering and when you leave the studio, it feels amazing. I enjoy hot yoga a lot.
  • Sayne
    Sayne Posts: 23
    Options
    yuk! smells bad. too hot. sweat dripping off everyone everywhere. i really enjoy every other type of yoga class i have tried but i just don't understand the appeal of this. good luck though i hope you have a different experience to me - i do know many who swear by it.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hot Yoga has been in my routine for awhile. I LOVE YOGA. I would make sure that you drink water before going in and bring 2 water bottles in with you if bringing throw away kind. I usually go through 24-32oz.... and wear little clothes if you feel comfortable because you are going to sweat a lot. Be aware of your own body though especially being in the heat
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love bikram! But only practice during the winter months, as the room is kept above 100 degrees with very high humidity and i cannot bare to walk out of it into warm temps. be prepared for 90 minutes of being VERY aware of what your body is doing. drink lots of water before, sip during, and rehydrate after. also be warey of what you eat.. garlic does come out of your pores :). have an open mind, know its ok to lie down and rest during the pose sequence if you are getting light headed or having difficult breathing and you will do great! enjoy! its one of the most difficult/relaxing activities you can do!
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Thanks for replies :) I will be sure to bring lots of water and a towel!
  • cmjustin
    cmjustin Posts: 11
    Options
    I was doing yoga for a year before I moved need to get back into it
    tried hot yoga here in Seattle, not what am use to but it was power V and the room was 105.
    need a yoga mat , large towel another towel for you and water
    Just do it.:) start with Hatha yoga and work your way up
    I was looking for something more relaxing, breathing, balance...
    The right teacher helps
  • genas1975
    genas1975 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories an hour of hot yoga would burn. I did it today and it was one of the hardest workouts of my life. I found I was really dizzy a lot of the time, is that normal?
  • kelseyka
    kelseyka Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love it! It's a very different type of workout....go slow and don't be afraid to take a rest. You will get dizzy at first...but I always felt awesome afterwards. :) Its strangely addicting.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    On a whim today I bought a groupon for ten hot yoga type classes.
    So now I am wondering what I am in for ...has anyone tried it? Any tips or advice?

Also I have never really done yoga before, will this matter? Wanting to try something new.

I bought a groupon for it too a while back.........NOT for me! I kept seeing stars. I did sweat more than I ever have in my life though, and was really sore the next 2 days. I also have a history of fainting so I don't think it's the best for me, but I know a lot of people swear by it. The regulars in the class had amazing bodies too.
  • nolahoney
    nolahoney Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my first Bikram Yoga experience today - it wasn't bad at all. Just keep trying the poses, really listen to the instructor, and breathe! I bought a month membership and will go again this week. I'm not normally a sweater, but I did sweat quite a bit. Good thing is - I never felt dizzy. I did however, want to leave the room when sweat was running in my eyes... LOL