Can I get to my goal weight by eating 1300 calories a day?

Options
Can I get to my goal weight by having 1300 calories a day? My current weight is 190 (eeek) and I want to get to 130. My only exercise is chasing my toddler around and I go for walks a few times a week...

Replies

• EmilyPamEastman
    Options
    Technically yes, but it's not healthy. Try figuring out what you need to maintain daily in caloric intake then just minus like a hundred or 50 or so.

I started counting calories around last summer, and since then it turned into full blown anorexia.

now that doesn't happen to everyone. of course it the diet had to bite me on the *kitten* :(

but just be careful, theres a fine fine line between dieting and obsession;
    chasing a toddler around is great exersize!
    just eat healthy and limit sweets(but don't cut them out, I made that mistake and now I can't indulge in anything, not even fat free yogurt with no added sugar w/o feeling mass guilt. and when things taste too good to be true, I cut them out :( )

just be careful, balanced, and active and you'll b fine!:ohwell:
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    Check out this group on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Lots of good reading there on how to avoid metabolism damage by eating so little.
    And how to still lose weight! :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    There is nothing unhealthy about 1300 calories a day. Yes, you can get to your goal that way.
  • kris10lv84
    kris10lv84 Posts: 51
    Options
    I am on 1300 cals a day and started somewhere between 165-170lbs and am now at 148. I am also a mom although i do work too, but its not a terribly active job..just a lot of walking. Lately i havent been doing much exercising besides what i get frm work..sometimes me and my boys go on bike rides and occasionally i do tae bo but thats really it. I think i was eating so much junk and way too much cals in one day. For me the ultimate difference has just been reducing how much and what im eating. So good luck..not sure if i helped any with my rambling, but who knows.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also agree I dont think 1300 a day for someone who is 190 lbs is unhealthy. Honestly, I think that is the absolute lowest you should go, but I dont think its going to harm you.

From my own experience, and right now, I started at 1200! I was 160 lbs, 5' 4" and about a 32 in waist. Now Im still only 158 ish but my waist is good 29-30 in. I raised my calories over time (I started working out like crazy) to 15-1700 and no damage done.

I would consider starting at 1300, then slowly but surely, raise it by 50-100 every couple of weeks so your body has more to burn.

OH OH OH AND...you should REAALLLYY try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred! Its actually 20 minutes of working out.
    You can buy it on Amazon.com for $1.99 and play it on your computer. Seriously, it WORKS. Its a GREAT and SHORT workout, no one has any excuse not to do it!
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    Yes, but it might be hard to maintain that low of a value. However, MFP lets you score your exercise calories so you actually net out what you eat minus your exercise. So, you might actually eat 1500 or 1700 minus chasing kids for 200 or 400 per day.

I've also found it helpful to think in terms of weekly calorie intake. If you want to net 1300 a day, maybe think of it as 9100 per week. Some days you eat more and some less but in the end you end up at an average of 1300 per day.

Good luck!
  • missxjuicy
    missxjuicy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same lol. I started with 1200, then had to raise it cuz, I was stuck and not losing. Then started losing again. Now I think I might be stuck again but, scared as hell to eat more. I think if I ate cleaner, I would lose easier. Appreciate the tips from everyone!!!

11662968.png[/url]
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Eating 'cleaner' might make it easier to live off 1200-1300 but the same calories of clean food and non-clean food will cause the same weight loss/gain.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well, you probably can but you might want to start at a high caloric intake and adjust to a lower as you lose. Larger bodies burn more calories. I was eating in the ballpark of 1300 when I started, but I weighed 145lbs, and even now at 125-130 I can still eat at least 1500 without a problem.

Don't be scared to eat more! Fueling your body is important, and slow and steady weight loss is much more sustainable.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Can I get to my goal weight by having 1300 calories a day? My current weight is 190 (eeek) and I want to get to 130. My only exercise is chasing my toddler around and I go for walks a few times a week...
    Have you entered your stats into the mfp goals to find your calorie goal? this goal would provide you with a nice little 1lb/week fat loss--perfect. Then if you also add in some exercise, such as weightlifting and some cardio, this would burn ADDITIONAL calories, which you would need to eat back. So if your calorie goal turned out to be 1450 calories per day, and your exercise for the day burned 350 calories, you would eat 1800 calories that day. You would give this calorie goal some time to see if it works, and adjust it if necessary (like if after 2-3 weeks there is not a loss, drop off 100calories).

Usually people freak out about eating their exercise calories, as tho it will undo their fatloss goals. Not so. The fatloss is figured into the goal.

Just start with the basic goal. Follow a 3times per week exercise plan. Check measurements and scale and also bodyfat, if you like. And also how you look and feel, and how your clothes fit. These are all measures of success...not just the scale, as you know:)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Since that is likely a deep deficit of calories, you really need to be doing some good strength training in order to retain as much of your muscle mass as possible.

If that isn't possible, you could make the deficit not so deep so you don't lose that muscle mass.

So if you selected 2lb week loss, select 1.5 or 1 lb.