It's not easy to lose weight once you gain weight article

Options
Man, this article makes me depress.
Check it out and give me your input
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/articles/2007/10/01/let_the_post_diet_era_begin/?rss_id=Health

I should not push myself hard to lose weight then...
lose 1 lb a week or less so my body does not know I'm trying to lose weight .

Replies

• 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    hmm that article was odd. First of all I didn't like the constant use of the term "fat people." Secondly, what are the author's credentials? And most interestingly, a Jillian Michaels ad popped up while I was reading it!
  • Being_Healthy
    Being_Healthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I thought the article was ridiculous....OF COURSE people regained the weight in those studies! They were hardly eating any calories at all (the first study used men of healthy weight..uh hello!...obviously their calories were already fine, so what was the point in cutting them in half? the second study actually cut their participants down to 600 calories a day!!!!). They weren't just in starvation mode, they were in reality, practically starving! So, when the study was done...what did they do? Go and eat and eat and eat...who can blame them?

Now why don't they take people who are overweight, put them on a SENSIBLE diet and exercise (having them EAT BACK at least half of those exercise calories) plan and do a study on that? Then tell us those results!
  • fcharles
    Options
    This aricle is absolutely ridiculous. They are citing studies done in WWII, studies that centered around SEVERE calorie restriction and some more recently centered around the same. Healthy eating and exercise IS very effective, eating 600 calories/day isn't. I hope everyone can see through this article and know that good nutrition cannot be replaced.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I agree that this article is total BULL. People don't always regain their lost weight, either. Look around on here, look everywhere!! There's people on TV, in magazines, proof all over the internet that you can lose weight and keep it off. I also agree with the previous posts about the calorie thing. That's why MFP doesn't want you to eat below 1200 calories to keep from going into starvation mode, muchless 600!! (That would seriously mess up your metabolism, too.) Anyone would binge after eating just that little. In that case, yes the body's needs would be much stronger than willpower - they body wouldn't have enough calories to think even!!

Point being: don't listen to anything this article has to say. It's not true. A good diet and exercise WILL help you lose weight, and you can keep it off. :happy:
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't believe this article at all. And it came saying people who "dieted". and we here at mfp are not dieting we are changing our life.

the author sounded like a real moron
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    The first study was done as an attempt to see if Anorexia is a learnt behaviour, so they were placed on a diet similar to that of somebody who suffers from anorexia and so it is pretty clear that they were going to gain the weight back when they went back to eating normal portions.