When dieting do you basically just starve

Options
I mean even if u eat do u just basically still feel hungry because u cant eat enough to feel full. I can not feel full without eating at least about 1000 calories.

Replies

• scrittenden
    scrittenden Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you should be eating more than 1000 calories a day on any sort of diet anyway. And no, dieting doesnt = starving yourself
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    You don't need to starve to lose weight and you can certainly eat much more than 1000 calories too!
    Make sure you eat lots of protein rich foods as they will keep you feeling full for longer.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Please dont feed the troll
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You should be eating more than 1000 calories anyway. No, I don't starve. I've been eating all I can manage, feeling stuffed every day and still lost about 1 pound and 1 inch a day.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than 1200 calories you might as well just give up and go back to eating like you used to. That would be better than starving yourself- and potentially developing an eating disorder.

There is a common but widespread MISCONCEPTION that you have to starve yourself to lose weight. This simply isn't true. I have lost almost 115lbs, and am eating 2000 calories a day - and still losing weight. Granted, it's getting harder because I only have about 20 more pounds to lose, but when I eat less, I don't lose.

If you are doing it right, and doing something that leads to lasting weight loss, then you are not starving. you're doing yo-yo dieting, and diets don't work. period. They may work in the immediate time, but you will gain the weight back and have to go back to dieting again, and what's the point of that??? Just my opinion....
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I mean even if u eat do u just basically still feel hungry because u cant eat enough to feel full. I can not feel full without eating at least about 1000 calories.
    That is why eating 1000 calories is not recommended.

Input your information into this site, eat the amount of calories it tells you to.

Don't eat them in chocolate and high fat junk food either, even 2000 calories of that crap will leave you hungry. You know what you should be eating, lean meat especially poultry, fish, vegetables, wholegrains, fruit.

Do that and you'll lose weight without starving yourself. In fact if you're eating "proper" food you'll be surprised at how much you can eat.
  • scrittenden
    Options
    You should be eating more than 1000 calories anyway. No, I don't starve. I've been eating all I can manage, feeling stuffed every day and still lost about 1 pound and 1 inch a day.

you are loosing 1 pound and 1inch a *day*??
  • krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eating smaller more often helps but it is something that takes a few days to get use to as well. You need to learn to eat smarter! For a full fat mug of latte you could have a diet yogurt and some rice crackers... You will learn the trade off's :)

Good Luck with it!
  • GeorgieLove708
    Options

For now. It won't last long. I'm severely overweight and have a long way to go. In 15 days I lost 16 pounds and 14 inches from my waist.
  • scrittenden
    Options

For now. It won't last long. I'm severely overweight and have a long way to go. In 15 days I lost 16 pounds and 14 inches from my waist.
    Wow.. i am totally jealous if im honest.. i have over 100lbs to loose, and ive lost 2lbs in 1 week.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Not sure it its a troll, could very well be a new member (joined July 2012) that isn't up to speed on proper eating habits
  • jaqqii
    jaqqii Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with all the above. You can't survive on less than 1000 calories a day - you will always feel hungry. You need to fill up on high protein low carb meals. Try and limit snacks to fruit, veg or nuts (such as almonds). No alcohol/liquor.

I'm just starting and need to lose 25lbs - I'm finding it quite hard but quick fixes and faddy diets don't work in the long run, the weight will just pile back on.

Good luck and happy healthy eating:wink:
  • EvaJ20
    EvaJ20 Posts: 33
    Options
    I never eat less than 1,200 calories. Sometimes I eat in the 2,000 range. I was always under the impression that you had to starve yourself to lose weight, but this simply is not the case. I feel like to keep the weight off you cannot create too much of a deficit. I have done this before and it made me cranky and it was not healthy. Also, I always ended up gaining back the weight.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

Let the troll starve. :)
  • kristyso
    kristyso Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I thought this way when I first started, these are some things I've learned along the way that have helped me. Drink lots of water throughout the day and try to drink a whole glass before you sit down for a meal. Secondly eats lots of good protein and load up on the veggies. When eating, make sure you are eating slow, chewing/enjoying every bite, it takes around 15 minutes for your brain to send out the signal that you are full. This is a lifestyle change for me so I know I will never feel that "Oh my God, my pants are about to pop" full feeling again, but just doing these little things has helped me realize when my body is actually "full" and satisfied, and on the plus side once your body does get use to eating less and healthier, that food that use to be just a snack size meal actually turns into a feast. Good luck!
  • scrittenden
    Options

Let the troll starve. :)

Yup.. have to agree on the troll thing.. they have also started a topic on how its unfair to not be allowed surgery at 50lbs overweight??
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You should never be hungry. That's probably why a lot of people quit. They don't like being hungry. 1200 calories is the minimum you should be eating, and that's if you are very small and don't exercise. If you are larger and exercise, you should eat more. Eat a lot of "power foods," as Weight Watchers calls it - foods that fill you up without adding a lot of calories. Everyone knows this, but eat at least 5 cups of fruit and veggies a day. Eat soup with high fiber beans in it. Yogurt is great too. You can still eat cookies and ice cream (my weakness), but only in small portion. But be sure to eat what you like or you won't stick with it. Hope this helps.
  • GeorgieLove708
    Options

Wow.. i am totally jealous if im honest.. i have over 100lbs to loose, and ive lost 2lbs in 1 week.
    I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. I have almost 180 to lose, so if the first few weeks want to help me along by dropping the pounds quickly, I'll take it! :)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Maybe I misunderstood you but unlike others, what I understood from your post was that you don't feel full unless you eat 1000 calories (as in one meal). If that's the case, most of the calories you take are more likely from processed carbs which make you incredibly full for the time being but the feeling of fullness won't last long. Try to incorporate more vegetables to your liking along with lean meat to your meals. Increasing fiber intake along with protein will help you on the fullness front.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Agreed.