Post HIIT calorie burn

Options
An mfp pal told me that she burned a lot more from her walks when she does them right after performing high intensity exercise. As an experiment I decided to do the exact same walk twice. The first time I did it as normal, had been just sitting at my pc most of the day and went out for a 13 minute walk (Walk has hills) and burned 52 cals. This morning I did some HIIT so my heart rate was really up, within 10 minutes after finishing I went to do this same 13 minute walk, except this time I burned 105 cals. Over twice the amount :noway: I also noticed just walking around the house after had my heart rate a lot higher than normal. So basically it appears the burn continues on for some time after actually finishing HIIT and even just going for a regular quick walk can get a nice little extra burn in.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can't use a HRM to estimate EPOC, so none of your numbers mean anything. Whatever accuracy HRMs have (and it's much less than people think), it's only applicable during specfic types of cardio exercise (steady-state cardio, at moderate to medium intensities). As you get farther away from that "standard", the accuracy steadily decreases.

That being said, there is a higher calorie burn after doing HIIT, compared to lower-level, moderate duration endurance cardio. A higher post-exercise "burn" is not necessarily siginifcant, however. Overall, post exercise calorie burns are not that great under any circumstances.

The important thing is total calories burned. Some people will claim that certain exercises "burn calories for 24 hours after the workout". While that may be true by a strict laboratory definition, it doesn't mean that much if the total burn is only 100-125 calories. It is difficult to determine precise EPOC numbers, since there are so many variables involved. A meta analysis done several years ago looked at many studies performed on the subject and concluded that the average post-exercise calorie burn following HIIT was 14% of total calories burned during the workout, for endurance cardio about 7%. I urge caution with those numbers, only because the research was reported at least 5 years ago and the author looked at even earlier studies. This is an area that has been more heavily researched in recent years and more labs are using more sophisticated techniques, so I suspect those numbers will evolve in the future.

And HIIT is not the only way to achiever a higher post-exercise calorie burn. Longer endurance workouts (e.g. 60-90 min) and high-intensity steady-state workouts can also give you a longer burn.

In any case, as I mentioned earlier, the overall effect is not that great under any circumstances. I personally would not recommend that someone structure a workout solely on the expectations of some theoretical EPOC.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM mainly to make sure that I get my heart rate up to the fat burn and cardio areas, my zumba workouts burn less than half the calories expected but my walks where I do some step ups during the walk to up my heart rate burn a lot more. I do know that this has helped me I dont take into account any post calorie burn but HIIT is good for your heart. trial and error seems to be the way to go...
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @Azdak Very interesting post thanks.Never even heard of the term EPOC before until I Googled it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption. Not saying you were implying but just to be clear i wasn't advocating including post exercise calorie burn as part of your calorie burn in exercise, though I did include what I burned on today's walk as well walking is exercise after all. There defo is an element of extra burn going on anyway - guess I'll take it as a bonus!

@indrani1947: Yip HIIT is meant to eb good for the heart and in particular your cholesterol. this is actually the prime reason why I choose this as my cholesterol is fairly bad, especially my good cholesterol.