When dieting do you basically just starve

Options

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    no. NEVER. I never, ever starve myself. My body will not tolerate it. I can't skip meals and can't starve - never have been able to do it.
    nope. I eat, just try to eat cleaner than I used to and count calories.
    I snack a lot on fruit & babybel cheese.
    I have a friend who would like it if I'd just stop eating to lose the last pounds (that's her system) but ain't gonna happen cause ... what happens when I start eating again?!
    Starving yourself must be about the most unhealthy thing you can do and not at all conducive to exercise or muscle building. But you go ahead ... don't listen to good sense advice.
    Just keep doing what you're doing ....
    You see how starvation worked for Karen Carpenter. She's dead .. but slim
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wat aobut 1330 to 1500 calories a day and always feel full at the end of the day.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Do you mean 1,000 calories per day or per meal ?

If per day see above if per meal work on adjusting what you are eating. Double your veggie portions with each meal, drink a full glass of water at each meal, make sure you're choosing high fiber foods and swap processed carbs for alternatives like brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grain breads and oats. The more protein and fiber you can pack into a meal the fuller you'll feel.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Please dont feed the troll

Agreed.

Agreed threed
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Please dont feed the troll

Let the troll starve. :)

Yup.. have to agree on the troll thing.. they have also started a topic on how its unfair to not be allowed surgery at 50lbs overweight??

The OP is either a troll, has an eating disorder, or is actually kodacdigitalcamera come back to haunt us.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day. Never starve here.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, in moderation, and have consistent activity and you will lose weight and be fit! I don't diet, what I eat is a way of life. But 1000 calories is too little. If you are active, it should be much more. On my slowest days, I'm at 1600 calories,
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

The OP is either a troll, has an eating disorder, or is actually kodacdigitalcamera come back to haunt us.

Yep, wouldn't be surprised
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you change your lifestyle to a healthy, balanced one including lots of "super-foods" that are high in fiber, lean protein, low in fat, etc -- and get some exercise each day, you won't starve and your body will start to change for the better. Once you make this your lifestyle and embrace the changes with passion to live a healthier life -- you will crave the healthy stuff, feel satisfied will the right calories range (for me it's 1300-1500 per day) and feel antsy if you're not getting the exercise.

It's amazing, but true -- it requires some dedication (not starvation or deprivation) to get to that point, but if you come at it with a PLAN, you're more likely to get there. I highly suggest professionals, if you can: nutritionists, physicians, personal training pros, etc. These professionals are worth the expense if you can afford it, are serious about making the changes and want to get the right info from the start. You can also find weight loss help at most hospitals and sometimes community or senior centers -- they have free workshops on nutrition and exercise plans -- walking groups, etc.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nope never starved for one day while losing 310 lbs. as a matter of fact the more weight that I have lost the more I have been eating.. I started this journey eating 2500 calories a day 3 years ago... Today I average 3200-3400 calories a day and am still losing weight... So no starving yourself will get you no where.... Best of Luck..
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    053de519.jpg
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do agree that its a troll. However the answers have been lovely and have helped me, a non troll. So thank you to everyone being nice regardless :-)

And a big raspberry to the troll. The nice people here are nice anyway, and even if you are not helped, others are.
  • rmalcolm_88
    Options
    you should be eating at least 1200 calories a day because less than that and your body will start holding onto every calorie from what you eat because it thinks you are strving to death. and yes, dieting you won't feel as full as you would if you ate what you want when you want in the quantities you want. you shouldn't feel starving all the time though. in the beginning it's an adjustment, to feel satisfied with less food, but as you go along your stomach will shrink and your tastes will change and it will become better.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I never starve myself. If Im hungry, I eat something. The trick is in what and how much, and making sure there are always things that will satisfy me around. So...no trick at all, just sensible choices.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So.. Eat more then a 1000 calories?

I eat 1500-2000 calories day.. lost/maintain just fine and I am never hungry.. unless it's time to eat!
  • juanita106
    juanita106 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than 1200 calories you might as well just give up and go back to eating like you used to. That would be better than starving yourself- and potentially developing an eating disorder.

There is a common but widespread MISCONCEPTION that you have to starve yourself to lose weight. This simply isn't true. I have lost almost 115lbs, and am eating 2000 calories a day - and still losing weight. Granted, it's getting harder because I only have about 20 more pounds to lose, but when I eat less, I don't lose.

If you are doing it right, and doing something that leads to lasting weight loss, then you are not starving. you're doing yo-yo dieting, and diets don't work. period. They may work in the immediate time, but you will gain the weight back and have to go back to dieting again, and what's the point of that??? Just my opinion....

congrats on the weight loss and I agree with the calorie intake, I am trying to lose some weight also and am making my target for 1 to 2 pounds week. I have found that drinking water does help, lots of water and balancing your vitamins also, I eat lots of veggies have 2 low calorie snacks and 3 balanced meals staying at the calorie intake for my exercise level and so far going well.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you are starving... you're doing it wrong.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Obvious troll is obvious.

Good game, OP.
  • nikolerenestewart
    Options
    Agree with everyone else, you should be eating at least 1,200 cal a day your body at rest will burn alot of calories, if you dont eat enough you will go into starvation mode! PAck in the protien that will keep you feeling full!!
  • xchiho
    xchiho Posts: 4
    Options
    No, do NOT starve yourself! And you should be eating at least 1,000 calories if not 1,200. The best way to eat enough calories to feel full is eat the right calories AND increase your exercise. Believe me you can feel full even though you are cutting back on calorie intake and reducing the unhealthy foods. Keep going, you will see. :)