My Stupid Pal

Options
jcmartin0313
jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
This is the only fitness related website where...

People actually think the risk of being obese is less than the risks of bariatric surgery and discourage it

People think tanning is safe and encourage it

I am all for personal choice, but people come here seeking information and advice and I fear they will get a bad batch of both

Replies

• elrickis1337
    elrickis1337 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    then why are you here??????
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

People actually think the risk of being obese is less than the risks of bariatric surgery and discourage it

I am all for personal choice, but people come here seeking information and advice and I fear they will get a bad batch of both

The risk of death for Bariatric surgery is 1/100. The risk of walking around fat is far far less than that. I agree on the tanning.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. You find that everywhere. I just mind my own fitness business, that's what it's all about anyway. :)
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You should also say SOME people. I'm offended to be lumped it to categories that I don't belong in.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I blame weekend morning TV and Dr. Phil. I woke up this morning and wanted to lay in bed, all that was on TV was a million different weight loss solutions, and Dr. Phil or equivalent with some latest fad.

If you saw it on TV it must be true and it must be shared with everyone.

Although I don't know if I agree on the surgery thing, every time someone I know has been involved something has "hiccuped" and caused a complication, so everything first then the surgery last resort IMHO
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    so leave. it's free and no one will chase you.
  • jcmartin0313
    Options

I am here because it helps me and to counter-balance the bad information. I did not intend to lump everyone into this batch of misinformed "experts" my apologies.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Cool story.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    then why are you here??????

Because then he can post topics like this and get attention.....duh
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    People make decisions and read/hear things all the time, but it's only how much research you do and how you take that info that judges how bad it's gonna affect someone. True, people make daft decisions, but hey. At the end of the day you can only try to help and give better advice from your own perspective, you can't live their life for them.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Enlighten me, JC.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options

You don't come to forums for medical advice. If you did, that's your problem. The forums are full of opinions that you need to be smart enough to sort through. I've never seen a single forum post that didn't get a little from both sides. But that being said, I don't think its the only place you can go that would discourage surgery if it can be done without it. Some people never make it out of the hospital due to infections, etc. People here are encouraging others to lose weight, but do it the safe way. Whats 'stupid' about that?
  • jcmartin0313
    Options
    Umm...why is it suddenly a crime to vent? I am not looking for attention. I made a legitimate comment in a thread dominated by "rate the person above you" and I am looking for attention?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

The risk of death for Bariatric surgery is 1/100. The risk of walking around fat is far far less than that. I agree on the tanning.
    Actually, the leading causes of death in the US are all "lifestyle diseases." For example, the leading cause of death in women is heart disease. Twice as many women die of heart disease than from ALL varieties of cancer.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    You should also say SOME people. I'm offended to be lumped it to categories that I don't belong in.

I'm not offended by it, but I also agree that "lumping" everyone into a category isn't right either. That's like saying "Military spouses cheat during deployments", "all fat people are lazy slobs", etc. Just isn't so. :smile:

But I am a believer of "to each their own". If someone chooses to do something unsafe, they know the risks a majority of the time and they can make that decision for themselves. You choose what is best and more important for you. I don't care as long as it doesn't affect my family or myself. :wink:
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I haven't been active here very long, but do posts like this end up being productive??
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I find most of the bad information and bad advice here comes in the form of sweeping generalizations such as this.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Dang, is there a pissy epidemic going on in the forums today? Should I be calling the CDC?

I agree with you, JC. :flowerforyou:
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    lol
  • jcmartin0313
    Options

You don't come to forums for medical advice. If you did, that's your problem. The forums are full of opinions that you need to be smart enough to sort through. I've never seen a single forum post that didn't get a little from both sides. But that being said, I don't think its the only place you can go that would discourage surgery if it can be done without it. Some people never make it out of the hospital due to infections, etc. People here are encouraging others to lose weight, but do it the safe way. Whats 'stupid' about that?

I never said surgery is without risks or easy. However, if someone who needs to lose a substantial amount of weight or has comorbid factors is considering it than the risks of the surgery are far fewer than the risks of doing nothing and perhaps even the risks of trying to go it alone through exercise. Severely obese people or people with comorbidities risk not only cardiac complications from unsupervised exercise but also orthopedic injury.

I want people to know that surgery is a safe and viable option for those who are past the point of "doing it naturally". Just because a handful or even small percentage of people lose hundreds of pounds naturally does not mean there is any shame in considering surgery.

As for tanning, that should even be a discussion imo.
This discussion has been closed.