Ink me!! When to get my tattoos?

Options
my reward will be several tattoos. a large piece actually. thing is.... i don't know whether i should get some of the work started soon, or wait until i'm at my goal. I have less than 50 lbs to lose, but i'm sure my body composition and shape will still change enough that it might make some difference. advice?

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I got 3 of my tats when I was young and skinny :wink: . My fourth/last ink was on my calf muscle, which while I was heavier in general, my legs are in great shape. So I wasn't worried about it.

I would guess that your body mass could affect your outcome should you lose weight afterwards, depending on where it will be ... if it's, say, a sleeve and you expect your arm will be slimmer a little ways down the road - if you can wait, wait. If it's on an area that's looking pretty good right now anyway - I say go for it!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I had the same idea for a reward, I've started my largest tattoo, but now I'm waiting till I meet my ultimate goal to get it finished. Plus, it's summer so you don't want to miss out on things while the tattoo is healing. I think you should at least wait till summer is done so you don't have to worry about keeping your fresh ink protected from the hot sun the rest of the summer.

Once September comes around though you should definitely go for it!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Your tattoos will be affected by weight loss because skin stretches and retracts with weight gain and loss.

I would wait if it is in a position where the skin is likely to change a huge amount.

I've lost 34lbs and some of my body, like my back for example, doesn't even look how it used to, a lot less extra skin to work with now than I had before.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I am definitely getting inked up once I reach a few of my weight loss goals!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think my reward will be to have the edges of mine redrawn. It's in a bad place for a woman with weight issues - the very top of my right hip --- towards the back. Really a bad placement decision... lol Anyway, I got it when I was in better shape and I've had several ups and downs with weight since then and the whole thing just needs a refresher. If I had it to do over again, I'd still get it - I love my mark - but I might have chosen a different location.

As long as your ink is specifically meaningful to YOU - you will never regret it. Tramp stamps (sorry to those of you who have them, I'm just not a fan) and tribal bands for tribes you don't have any connection with are strong candidates for future removal. I knew mine was mine the moment I saw it and carried a picture in my wallet for almost a year before I got it. It resonanted with me and still does and when I'm a droopy ninety year old and no one would ever recognize it for what it once was, I will still love it.
  • tammyp10
    tammyp10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd wait until you're at your goal. It's your reward for hitting your goal. You aren't quite there yet. Keep going your doing great!!!
  • jen8014
    jen8014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I decided to reward myself with a new tattoo when I reached UGW of 120... I would wait until you reach goal before getting it.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've got a med/large one on my lower back and I went thru pregnancy (got up to 230!!), I'm 193 now and I don't see where it might be compromised at all.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    this may be OT, but i have a related question for those of you who have tattoos and have lost a lot of weight.

i have a set of wings on my upper back/shoulder blades - not a lot of small detail, but a good sized piece that runs from shoulder to shoulder. i got it done before i started this journey (took years and bank, too, lol). i have a lot to lose, on my upper back included, and i'm worried what will happen to my gorgeous wings :(

tips/hints/warnings? if i drink lots of water and try to keep my skin from getting saggy, will that help?
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have 2 goal tattoos 1 when I hit 200 lbs and 1 when I hit my goal weight! :)

"I Just want to believe in me" in french on my should blade or mid back around my waist.<--- My 200 lbs one

A nike symbol in some different colors with the words "Just did it" underneath it on my hip bone! <-- this is my UGW one :)

I am not getting mine until I am closer because I want to get them on places that do not look to great right now :P
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my reward will be several tattoos.

really? permanently drawing pictures with ink on your body is your idea of a reward?
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options

really? permanently drawing pictures with ink on your body is your idea of a reward?

absolutely yes.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options

Its her body she can do whatever she wants with it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

no...actually her body belongs to me! geesh...of course I know its her body and she can do what she wants with it. Was just curious how tattoos are a reward.
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would recommend waiting as well. This is also something I have thought of and the one I want is to finish the one on my back and right now of course I have rolls in the way of where it would finish, hence why it is not done. I will definitely be waiting!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

no...actually her body belongs to me! geesh...of course I know its her body and she can do what she wants with it. Was just curious how tattoos are a reward.

Many people enjoy tattoos and have thought a long time about getting one. You obviously do not care for tattoos, which is fine. But if someone else does, it's as good of a self-reward as anything. You shouldn't get all "geesh" with someone when your first comment was so condescending in the first place.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I asked about weight loss and tattooing to my artist. He said that the only way a tattoo will shift or stretch or anything is if you lose like 100+ pounds, and even then it really shouldn't do anything.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options

yes. why?

a) the first and largest piece is a memorial of my mother who passed away.
    b) because the life change is permanent, i would like a reminder that will last just as long.
    c) and because it's something non-food that i REALLY want but isn't feasible to just buy on a whim.
  • DietFemme
    DietFemme Posts: 16
    Options
    I asked about weight loss and tattooing to my artist. He said that the only way a tattoo will shift or stretch or anything is if you lose like 100+ pounds, and even then it really shouldn't do anything.

I think that depends on placement, I have a big one on my leg (from about mid shin all the way down my ankle and onto my foot) and it's moved about an inch around my leg since I've lost 44lbs in the last 7 months. I kind of love it - it's a visible confirmation of how much I've done. It hasn't retracted/distorted the image itself significantly though, thank heavens; just it's sort of "continentally drifted". :)

I just got a new one behind my ear a few weeks ago, it's only tiny so I'm not worried about it even if I do lose another 50lbs.