Can't reach my Calorie goal w/o going over on protein!

Options
I have just recently joined, so I'm still trying to figure this thing out. I've been trying to plan out what I'm eating for today. Today is the only day of the week that I don't plan on working out, so I'm only having this problem now. I can't figure out how to reach my daily calorie allowance without going over on protein! I seem to have a problem with eating too much protein, but I have been trying to cut down on it, and only have meat for one meal. However, the little amounts of protein in other foods keeps adding up, and I'm not sure what to eat that will add up to enough calories without going over on protein. Any advice?

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    if your settings are set to what mfp recommends as a default, that amount of protein is too low. my opinion and the opinion of most other people here is that you should actually be eating more protein than what mfp recommends. it helps keep you full and is important for your body to use to repair itself after exercise. don't worry about going over!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, the protein levels on MFP are low, unless you suffer from kidney problems, don't worry about being in the red for your protein.

It is the fat and carbs macros that are the ones to try and avoid going into the red. Even sugar will go in to the red if you eat fruit and if you are a person who eats lots of fruit disregard the sugar one too.

Providing you keep your sodium between 500 - 2500 per day, that is fine, (ensure you at least get 500mg per day though, it is dangerous to go below that level).
  • allirep
    allirep Posts: 26
    Options
    i go WAY over my protein count that MFP recommends and I'm still losing weight at a steady pace (full disclosure: I am following the primal plan). don't sweat it. especially if you are doing any sort of strength training and muscle building. you need the protein for your muscles!
  • LAsteve212
    LAsteve212 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Okay, that makes me feel better! I just hate seeing those red numbers :P I won't worry about it then, just focus on not eating too much sugar, which is my major downfall. Thank you!
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Protein requirements are also effected by exercise levels, if you're active it's less of an issue.

RDA for protein is 0.8 g/kg. Some papers suggest 1.2-1.7g/kg if very active, or 10-35% protein is your macros, but this is also a bi-product of eating more kcals when exercising.
    (Sport nutrition guideline 2012)

Hope that helped.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Hey Steve, as stated, the protien levels set by default are a bit low. There is a way to change it and I think you go through your "Goals" tab to find that but can't remember for certain. But being over on proteins and under on fats sometimes balances out for the better. A gram of fat is approximately 9 calories and a gram of carbs or protein is approximately 4 calories. So if you are over on proteins and under on fats but still within your calorie goal you are probably ok. If you continue to lose I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you just like to see the green numbers and no red ones you can get into the goals and change your distribution.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i lowered my calls and do quite well my protein tends to go over but that isnt an issue its carbs i dont like to rise.
  • ashbosity
    ashbosity Posts: 20
    Options
    Ditto on the sugar. I go over an average of about 20 grams of protein a day, but I'm also usually under on carbs, which is fine by me. I'd rather fill up on chicken breast than granola bars because carbs and sugar are a problem for me. Good luck!
  • Bartonsark
    Bartonsark Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can adjust all the daily goals for each thing. I upped my protein and decreased my carbs. just go to my home tab, goals then click on change goals as far as I can tell you can adjust almost all of them.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm always under on protein!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I aim to see those red numbers on protein and fiber!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS! :)
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein everyday as well and still lost 3lbs this week. I don't know how to not go over the protein because I'm told over and over again that that is what keeps you full and full of energy, yet I always have tons of carbs left (and I'm not even doing low carb either). Protein keeps me happy/full longer than eating more carbs so I'm just going to let the protein keep going over since everything else seems to be working.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS! :)

This and that! :smile:

Protein and fiber should be considered a minimum to surpass, not a maximum to stay under. Going over on fat isn't a bad thing, either, as long as it's not all from greasy fried foods.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I go over on protien a lot... what can I say I love meat!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm always under on protein!

Try to eat more protein. I eat about 0.8-1g/lbs body weight. (Around 100-130g a day is what I aim for). The protein helps me stay full longer and has a lot of other good things to it, building and repairing muscle and faster recovery after workouts etc etc :)
    Good foods for that is chicken breast, tuna, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, eggs, quinoa, nuts, protein shakes (make sure they are low carb)