weight loss and min calorie intake?

Replies

• kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    If you slowly get off of the shakes and replace it with some decent food choices, you can have the best of both worlds. I did Slim-fast, and it worked, and I lost 50 pounds. I was jittery and anxious all the time, in a foul mood, and felt like crap. Fifty pounds later and I looked pretty much the same as before. It did nothing for me long term, as I put that weight back on, plus a bunch. You can replace your 200 calorie shake with 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, or a huge salad with grilled chicken on it, or plenty of other delicious foods that will yield you similar results.

I'm not as concerned about the calorie intake, but the quality of food is important. It will be easier to increase your calorie intake safely and yield results if you are always eating real food to begin with!
  • I also wanted to add that I eat 6 small meals a day. Thats around 300-400 cals per meal, no less than 300. I eat all day long but as I said its healthy food and food i prepared myself not fast food.
  • I've not really thought about pounds per week but I put 1 pound per week.I'm not looking to be superwoman.I just want to do better...If I loose more then great:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Ditch the shakes and eat proper food - this should be a sustainable lifestyle change if it's going to work! Use the figures MFP gives you and be Patient!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I've not really thought about pounds per week but I put 1 pound per week.I'm not looking to be superwoman.I just want to do better...If I loose more then great:)

With the amount of weight you have to lose, you can actually go for a slightly higher deficit than 1lb a week. The 1,800 that Ladyraven suggested is a good goal. If you change your goal to 1 1/2 lb a week this should give you nearer the 1,800. In fact you could go to 2lb a week until you get to about 50lb more to lose. This would give you about 1,600 cals. I would suggest picking the one that will allow you to get a balanced diet as well as be sustainable.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    This is the place to be if you want to count calories as they provide you with a diary and a database as tools. When you shop for groceries, try to plan your meals in advance and ALWAYS read the nutritional/caloric content on anything you buy and make comparisons. It won't take long before you will become knowledgable about food choices and what things you should be avoiding. I eat three meals and two snacks a day and make sure that I don't eat anything within three hours of going to bed. I am so accustomed to having my mail meal at supper so it's hard for me to change that so I go for a brisk 10 or 15 minute walk right after my evening meal. Losing weight does not have to be an ordeal and if you are eating enough and eating healthy stuff it is a lot more fun than starving yourself and not losing it properly. Remember, this is not really a diet - it is a change in life style.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!
    Google Clean Eating- good recipes as well.

Please stop making things up.

First no less than 1800 cals for any woman, regardless of ht/wt/age?

Do tell how low one would have to eat to "stop your metabolism", you know you'd be dead, right?
  • I used to weigh 135 pounds and then I had my kids,and I've never lost the gain from my pregnancies.The last time I was pregnant was 2004 and I was a stay at home mom until 2006.I thought I would loose weight when I got my job because its fairly active,I work in a plastics injection molding factory and you have to move to keep up with the parts.But I haven't lost any weight.I also work nights and I hear that can cause it to be harder to loose weight with the odd sleep schedules.And I have myofascial pain disorder and working out can be very painful.But I'm trying to ease myself into this.I'm also from the south where fried super bad for you foods are a staple so I have no idea how to cook healthy.And I have a husband and two children to cook for as well so its difficult to figure out what I can experiment with recipe wise that everyone will like,I'm seriously kind of lost with this but I'm trying.And that's better than not right?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Throw away all those silly shakes.
    Those are garbage. You will fail drinking that stuff.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Your diet is not sustainable, end of story. Do you want to drink Slim Fast for the rest of your life? This shouldn't be solely about losing the weight. It should be about the eventual goal of maintaining a healthy weight in a way that isn't torturous and makes you happy.

I think quality of food is the most important aspect of weight loss. When I lost weight the first time, I calorie restricted and exercised a lot. It wasn't sustainable. I gained it all back.

This time, my main focus is not just on the exercise, but on food. Eating GOOD, healthy food, for multiple meals a day. I follow a ton of blogs with altered (healthy) recipes of some of my favourite meals, and I cook. I just made myself an amazing panini with swiss cheese, prosciutto, asparagus, mustard, and arugula leaves -- and that sandwich was only fifty more calories than that Slim Fast you're drinking and I'll bet a hell of a lot tastier. Consider this: would you rather eat your calories, or drink them?
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Bump
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member
    I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!

Do tell how low one would have to eat to "stop your metabolism", you know you'd be dead, right?

trying to read that made my head hurt.
    you got some good links and advice from a few people...good luck!
  • Cemjames
    Cemjames Posts: 18
    Why u not try to eat normal breakfast and lunch (proper ) food instead shakes I don't agree with them . Use your calories u be fine . Good luck
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    I don't mean to seem unkind, but this kind of inscience is dangerous.
    OUCH!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    You can not drink your calories. A shake a day packed with nutrients is ok but not 2x a day. You are not eating enough! I would cut back to a shake once a day and eat healthy meals the rest of the day. 1100 is very low. Myself I aim for 1400-1600 and then when I have a vigorous workout eat more. When you don't eat enough you put your body into starvation mode and you will not lose weight as well as hurt yourself.
  • emsarbi
    emsarbi Posts: 1
    How did you find out your BMR? Did you use a formula? I'm finding when I use a formula my BMR is much higher than when I plug numbers into a BMR calculator online.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    This is how MFP works
    And Tips for Newbies
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

She has over 100lb to lose. Going up to 2lb a week for a while is fine.
  • I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!

First, anyone should know that it will not literally stop but it will def put put a great halt in it. I am saying by experience that I didnt start losing weight until I bumped up my calories and ate healthy choices. And another thing I never mentioned anything about height/weight/age... I said no less than 1800 for ANY WOMAN!.. So read before you quote anyone!
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    This is how MFP works
    And Tips for Newbies
    NO MORE!

You can do this.

All Is Possible!

^^^^^^^^
    This!!!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

First, anyone should know that it will not literally stop but it will def put put a great halt in it. I am saying by experience that I didnt start losing weight until I bumped up my calories and ate healthy choices. And another thing I never mentioned anything about height/weight/age... I said no less than 1800 for ANY WOMAN!.. So read before you quote anyone!

Do you have anything to back up that it will "def" put a "great halt" on your metabolism, over and above the amount one would expect to see from weight loss?

And yes, I did read it, and I said it's pure silliness to not take into account one's ht/wt/age/activity levels and saying 1800 cals for all. Good thing you no longer work in the nutrition field...