Almond Milk?

Options
tlblood
tlblood Posts: 473 Member
So I just bought Almond milk (original flavor) for the first time...I'd seen it some recipes for Overnight Oats, so I bought it. I like the flavor, but it's definitely different. I'm intrigued by the fact that is has less calories, less sugar, more calcium, more Vitamin D than regular milk (even skim)...and my dad says it lasts longer in the fridge than regular milk.

Overall it looks to be better for me that cow's milk, but I'm afraid I'll never aquire the taste to drink it like regular milk.

What are your experiences? Is it an acquired taste (like Greek yougurt) that eventually I'll prefer? Is the vanilla flavor better?

Replies

• angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is delicious. I learned to truly love it, and you probably will too.
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    I've just switched over to Almond Milk too! I don't usually drink milk, but am trying to have some w/cereal once in awhile. I like the taste, but have only had it in Rice Chex cereal.
  • snogintheloo
    snogintheloo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I LOVE LOVE almond milk as a substitute for dairy milk. I personally like the taste, but if you believe it needs a little kick than I recommend trying the vanilla flavor. I believe once you get use to it, you will like it. The texture is a bit different and if you really don't like it than I also recommend coconut milk which some people believe is the closet to dairy milk.
    It's up to you! Also I do enjoy almond chocolate milk, it is a healthier treat!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    at some point, you may want to try making it yourself. it's cheaper (in the long run) and you get to keep the almond meal for baking (think pie crusts instead of flour)

it comes out creamier and more "milk like" when you make it yourself, and it's not very difficult. do a little googlin' on it. :) best of luck!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    We don't buy regular milk anymore, just almond milk. I love the vanilla flavor (yes, more calories, but sooooo yummy) and do drink it alone sometimes.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I buy the Silk 35 calorie (per cup) unsweetened vanilla variety, and to me, it really doesn't taste that much different than regular skim milk. I've never been a huge milk drinker, but I do drink a cup when I have peanut butter and banana toast, and occasionally I'll have a bowl of cereal with a cup of it. I have learned that if you keep eating/drinking something, you eventually acquire a taste for it. I used to HATE tomatoes, but now my salads don't seem complete without them.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Have had it in the cold oats/ porridge etc and it was fine but how is it in tea? Am English and do like a bit of milk in tea :)
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I only use it when mixing it for a recipe or in shakeology. Otherwise in drinking a glass of milk I can only do cows milk.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Have had it in the cold oats/ porridge etc and it was fine but how is it in tea? Am English and do like a bit of milk in tea :)
    i use the vanilla flavored almond milk in my tea and i find it to be really good!
  • runtotheheart
    Options
    mmm almond milk. i have made my own on occasion. raw food people do it alot. try a few different brands. and i personally love love love vanilla. try as many new things as you can. it may be strange at first because you are so used to only having your food one way. but now is the time to rediscover food. hemp milk is pretty awesome too in my opinion! good luck :)
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't get acquired to the taste of Almond Milk. I've tried Soy Milk which I really enjoyed, but I heard it can mess with your hormones or something, so I stopped drinking it. I'm a dude whose most likely still going through puberty, so I don't really want to mess it up anymore than it probably is already lol. So I moved on to Almond, but just didn't enjoy it.

I stick with good old Cow Milk, Skimmed or Whole Milk.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    It was okay...I drank it once and the container is still sitting in my fridge. It just tastes so fake to me lol idk,,..
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have some, but I never drink it straight. I used to drink milk and soy milk all the time for the protein. Almond milk doesn't have any protein in it, and lots of fat. I don't need that in liquid form.
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    I can't drink cow milk anymore--bleh! I have started drinking soy milk 5 years ago and then switched to almond milk about 2 years ago. I love the way the vanilla tastes, but I only buy the unsweetened almond milk now. So few calories but still tastes good. I have it with cereal or while I am eating a granola bar.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like the 40 calorie unsweetended vanilla almond milk in my coffee. However, for the closest thing to real milk, I am still a fan of the SoDelicious brand of Unsweetend Vanilla Coconut milk. Coconut milk is much closer to the taste of real milk IMO. It's only 45 calories per cup, but it's not readily available at my local grocery store. When I go to Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck), I will grab the So Delicious coconut milk.

I have tasted other brands of coconut milks...the only brand that impressed me was So Delicious (Whole Foods, Sprouts Market).

Either way...a huge calorie improvement versus skim milk (and without the added hormones)
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I really really like Almond milk, especially the sweetened vanilla. I like that it's good for me and its tastes great! Also, the chocolate takes a little getting used to at first, but it makes a great treat in the evenings :)
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love it - goes great with muesli, coffee, and ive used it in baking muffins and stuff too. im not a huge cows milk fan though, which is maybe why i love it so much !
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It can take a while, but you will eventually have that reaction to cows milk if you keep drinking almond. I started with soy milk, but then moved to almond after I developed a soy allergy. I missed cow's milk when I switched to soy and I missed soy when I switched to almond. I LOVE my almond milk now! I cook with almond or hemp and my smoothies are made with coconut milk.
    You will get used to it and probably get to a place where you prefer it over cow's milk.

I drink Blue Diamond original (60 calories per cup) or the unsweetened (40 calories per cup) and Silk soy milk (90 calories per cup). I've tried other brands of almond milk and they are all good.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I love the unsweetened vanilla! For overnight oats, I opt not to use it though to keep the calories down! I use the oats, yogurt and water. Tonight I am trying my hand at chocolate overnight oats as a treat!
  • tregush
    tregush Posts: 8
    Options
    I have been using Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk for a year now & I love it! I used it in protein shakes and cereal. I don't use it to drink, but then again never drank milk either. You will learn to love it, the more you have it.