Pasta is the devil

Options

Replies

• MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If it's a trigger food for you, that's one thing. Otheriwise, eating pasta isn't bad, eating a whole box of pasta is. Like anything else, everything in moderation. They do make whole wheat and low carb pastas as well. I haven't tried to the low carb, because it IS pricier, but the whole wheat isn't bad at all.
  • Alansugar1
    Alansugar1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Disagree...... take a look at the diets of prisoners. They may have 'some' choice, and whilst we all do not envy their surroundings, their physiques are the envy of many. Moderation, moderation is the key. Try not to beat yourself up too much if you have had a portion or two of pasta.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    What about quinoa? Not sure if I spelled that correctly, but I was too lazy to look it up. I've heard it's high in protein. Has anyone tried it?

It's worth trying, I love pasta... Quinoa is pretty good and versitile(from rice like dinners to oatmeal like breakfasts) I am a recent user, but I like it and found that it satisfied me much more than white pasta and fulfilled my carb craving with a smaller serving, i was full.

also try using vegetables in place of noodles in lasagnes or other casseroles. it's a way to healthy it up without even noticing.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I will let Bones answer this on for me...

tumblr_lp2epd7QrL1qbhtrto1_500.gif
  • kayemme
    Options
    Disagree...... take a look at the diets of prisoners. They may have 'some' choice, and whilst we all do not envy their surroundings, their physiques are the envy of many. Moderation, moderation is the key. Try not to beat yourself up too much if you have had a portion or two of pasta.

they also work out all day.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Ricotta gnocchi. Solves the pasta craving but with less carbs.

oh, god, ricotta gnocchi is SO DELICIOUS. i made it a while back and completely forgot about it. ridiculously filling, too.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't toy with me. Are they real????
    I know I know. I'm looking for a magical no calorie carb. Anyone? LOL

Miracle noodles, I love them, 0 calories and extreamly filling
  • kayemme
    Options
    I've tried substituting some things for higher carb stuff. The really difficult part is my teenage boys. I can't even imagine the mutiny on my hands if I tried to replace pizza crust with cauliflower lol.

don't tell them: they'll never know. i couldn't believe it myself :)
  • kiwi1254
    kiwi1254 Posts: 5
    Options
    Dr. Oz actuallt said the Hodgkin's MIll Flax Gluten free pasta was a good substitute. I tried it and it was good, but you have to cook it twice as long as the instructions say.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    In the carb battle, just don't forget that certain cells in your body can ONLY run on carbs(glucose) such as your red blood cells and brain cells, and if you don't provide them your body will have to make them, which has a negative affect on your metabolism and pH. I still love my carbs but I'm trying to get the majority of them from healthier less processed sources(though i had basically a peach Popsicle for breakfast)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    eat tortilla shells instead of bread if you have a sandwich or something. Sweet potatoes over 'regular' potatoes.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
  • kiwi1254
    kiwi1254 Posts: 5
    Options
    It is adi that even though it's high in carbs, you're body treats it more like a protein. It's good and really filling too.Don't use too much as it swells up.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    Lol I've found my face in that position before. Not so much with chips, but you get the idea. I'm just starting out so I need to read up on some things. I guess I thought carbs were carbs. Obviously fruit and veggie carbs are better.
    and as far carbs being the devil, throw some holy water on it - it'll cast out any demons and send them into your neighbor's pig farm
    Then sit down, and thank God for your *SANCTIFIED* food.

heh. cute!

i don't avoid carbs so much, but i do avoid simple carbs (anything refined) or not so much avoid, but carefully monitor. for me, it's a bit of a trigger. i have a bit more than i need here and then before I know it, I'm face down in a bag of chips.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about movie prisoners? Just like in the "outside" world, prisons have a variety of builds, those you work out(just like those that bust their butts in the gym) may have enviable bods, but those who don't will be in a similar body composition as our couch potatoes...
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Glass noodles (also called bean threads). The noodles are made out of bean starch and water. You soak the dried noodles in hot water for a few minutes, then drain and add to stir fry. Yummy!
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sweets aren't really my go to thing. It's always been carbs. Brea, pasta, potatoes. I could exist on carbs alone. Ok, maybe cheese too. Does anyone know of any substitutes for carbs that are actually satisfying?

I have been amazed by the way cauliflower can be substituted for carbs. Grated and lightly steamed or microwaved with a tablespoon of water is terrific instead of rice or pasta and yes - it is filling! Mashed in place of potatoes is also great - especially with a little low fat creamed cheese. Have you tried rice cakes instead of bread as they are low in calories [and don't make me bloat like bread does] I've also found that a small slice of cheese spread with yeast extract emphasises the flavour and keeps those cravings at bay. All the very best of luck :]
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs are the devil either. I am vegan so I eat lots of quinoa. I love it, it's easy to over eat though because a serving size (160 cal) is only 1/4th cup (pre-cooked.) I mix it with black beans, bell pepper, jalapeno, avocado and tomato a lot and chuck it in an organic corn tortilla. If I eat pasta I do eat only organic whole wheat pasta or brown rice pasta. My kids don't even notice the difference if I use brown rice pasta. I would use a measuring cup to serve yourself though, that keeps me in check cause it's less than you think, not a plateful. I love the organic hakubaku whole wheat udon noodles, I cook those with some cashews and tons of veggies (broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, etc) and some Braggs liquid aminos (like soy sauce) + some nutritional yeast, yum!

I eat around 200 carbs a day (lot of fruit and veggies too.) I don't personally count them, I just aim for whole organic foods within my calorie range but I notice on MFP that it ends up being around 200 a day.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Options
    This is hard. That made my head hurt lol. And I'm a smart person!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Sweets aren't really my go to thing. It's always been carbs. Brea, pasta, potatoes. I could exist on carbs alone. Ok, maybe cheese too. Does anyone know of any substitutes for carbs that are actually satisfying?

I love carbs too. I've learned to just enjoy them in smaller portions because there is no satisfying sub for me. Now I just mix in a ton of veggies, protein, and some dairy into them so I am getting a plate full of food.