Eating Clean... What does this mean?

Options
124»

Replies

• wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    All food is "processed". All food is "organic".
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This is a messy topic.

The poor OP is probably like, wth?!? :noway:
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

ONOEZ CHEMICALS!

So I'm guessing this is unclean:
    Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine...

Umm, what about any of that says CLEAN, besides the very first ingredient, water?

I fail to understand why you are even posting in this thread. The original OP asked for a definition. If you don't have a definition for the OP, why are you here? Do you really feel your negativity is adding to the conversation?

That's the (partial) chemical composition of an Orange.

But if it has the word 'acid' in it, obviously it will burn a hole right through me, not to mention RUIN my floor :( At least, that's what happens in my cartoons...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    OMG i just read all of these posts...you are so mean RonSwanson66!!!

He is also correct.
  • seapard
    seapard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me, honestly, it was reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I've always known that I should steer clear of white flour, bleached sugar, cheese food product, corn syrup, and genetically modified proteins, but never fully realized the actual health implications in terms of how my body digested all of it.

I don't think there's a set way of eating "clean," per se, but it's being conscious of where your food came from, if it contains nutrients your body needs (or can process at all, for that matter) and eating it in moderation ("eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants").

I eat whole wheat flour from grains that are locally grown, unrefined fats, and lots of meat, dairy, and veggies from the local farmers' market.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For me, it means eating less or no processed/prepackaged foods, no fast food, etc.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    Do a google search on Michi's ladder. It's pretty straight forward. If you look at the top of the ladder you see lots of great food that is "clean". Look closely and the lower steps on the ladder and you see how food goes from "clean" to a less than healthy choice. I've been sticking to the top two rungs on the ladder for 3 days now and I feel so much better, hard to believe and even harder to explain.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I don't think there's a set way of eating "clean," per se, but it's being conscious of where your food came from, if it contains nutrients your body needs (or can process at all, for that matter) and eating it in moderation ("eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants").

I eat whole wheat flour from grains that are locally grown, unrefined fats, and lots of meat, dairy, and veggies from the local farmers' market.

This is the guideline I try to follow. I like getting to know the farmers around me, seeing what's in season, knowing I'm helping the local economy the best I can. I think it's difficult (near impossible) to be 100% clean so I prefer to see it as being finding the best options out of what's available.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Lately, I been reading a lot on the boards and seeing references to eating clean. What would say is the translation of eating clean? Is that just veggies, fruits, no fried foods etc.
    [/quote/]

Eating clean is eating food closest to its whole and natural form. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on a label its not clean. For example, sprouted grain bread is the closest to whole grain you can get. This obviously includes whole vegetables and fruits, organic meats, organic low fat diary products, etc. The way Tosca Reno says it, is eating clean is shopping only the perimeter of the grocery store. The middle isles are not usually clean foods. I would highly recommend buying the Eat Clean diet for better explanations and examples. Its a great book.
  • Fat2Flaca
    Fat2Flaca Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I usually shower before dinner so I am eating clean *LOL*
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Try to eat within MFP guidelines to start. Don`t over think things! take it slow and steady. Sugar and sodium are the things to keep in the back of your mind.

Easy to monitor. Fruit has a lot of sugar / swap for veggies.

Sodium is in a lot pre packaged foods.

It is not so hard you can move along as you go on ;-)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    To be honest I had never thought in terms of "clean eating", but since joining this site I have been told that I "eat clean". Definitions do not matter to me. I have no interest in restricting myself to a set of rigid rules. I do like to eat as close to nature as I can. But, I also include a protein powder (obviously protein powder is a "processed" food, maybe it's not even considered food actually). There seems to be a lot of judgement on this site if a person seems to be a "clean eater", but the reality is that we all eat in the way that is comfortable and enjoyable to us, whatever that may be called or not called. So, I don't see the point in judging someone for their healthy eating, or to try and point out how their mostly healthy eating does not fit into some other person's guidelines, etc...just the same as there is no reason to judge a healthy person that eats well, but does not have a "clean diet" or whatever it's called. I eat the way I do because it works well enough for me, and I think every person needs to make those personal choices for themselves. I have complete and total respect for science (it is actually a huge part of my life, as I am married to a physicist), but there does come a point when living in the way that is natural and enjoyable and healthy does not need to come with so many rules, restrictions and guidelines. We can learn the science where it is important and apply it in the ways that are helpful. But, then we can be active and eat in the ways that improve our lives on every level that is important to our own lives and well being. We can have fun. We can respect each other and each others choices or struggles. We can reach out and ask questions (like this OP did).
  • grabbin_life84
    grabbin_life84 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eating foods with only one ingredient like fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, nuts, whole grains etc, is what it means to me.