I have a new found respect for people who run outdoors!

Options
I decided to change up my workout by going jogging outside yesterday on Kelly Drive in Philadelphia. It is a completely different animal when compared to running on the treadmill. My entire body is sore. With that being said I enjoyed it and I am going to try again this week.

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Outdoors is more of a calorie burn/body torture than the treadmill, since we are propellign ouorselves and not just moving the feet!
  • alicialwest
    alicialwest Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    And isn't it so much more fun to see things and hear the sounds of life happening around you.
  • jwtheblueprint
    Options
    And isn't it so much more fun to see things and hear the sounds of life happening around you.

That is what I enjoyed the most. This is why I will stick to it a couple days a week instead of the gym.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I did my first session of C25K on a treadmill.. and then every run after that has been outside.

I like it so much better and I feel more free being outside, then I do running on a treadmill for hours on end!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Running outside is brill. I like anything outside but off road is my favourite :-) glad you have found the joy of it
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Running outside is awesome. Running on a treadmill makes me want to shoot myself in the head.
  • adphillips06
    adphillips06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean!
    The first time I ran outside after running for weeks on the treadmill, I was in shock! My legs were so sore after running on the concrete. Now I have gotten use to running outside and perfer it. The only time I get on the treadmill now is if the weather doesn't permit.
    Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Posts like this always make me so happy that I don't have access to a treadmill! :tongue: I've never even been on one, so can't compare it to running outside. I started c25k back in January, and did all my running outside, rain or shine. There were a few blustery wet days where I was wishing for a treadmill, but I went out and ran anyway - and I'm glad I did - you never know what the weather will be like on race day, and it's nice to have already experienced many different weather conditions.

Plus, there are days when I'm halfway through a run and just not feeling it. On a treadmill I could just hit the power button and step off, but outside, I have to at least get back home! LOL
  • MNPierce80
    MNPierce80 Posts: 21
    Options
    Running is the devil, I can't stand it, but doing it outside yesterday for the first time, I had time to think about so many things the four miles didn't seem so bad. I will definitely do it again. However, today I am very sore and my initial opinion still stands that running is the devil.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills. You run and you run and nothing gets any closer. It's depressing.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I fell off a treadmill one time...got distracted by the TV in the corner...so no treadmill for me! Outdoors all the way, especially at parks or running trails.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options

And even better if you run in a natural setting (though not "Au Natural", unless you're into that sort of thing...) :laugh:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have only ever run outdoors. I am too scared of trying it on the treadmill. I love it though. I go just before the sun comes up, and seeing the sunrise in the mornings while the air is still cool is almost as amazing as my body feels as it burns.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options

That is what I enjoyed the most. This is why I will stick to it a couple days a week instead of the gym.

This! And the fact that I am propelling myself forward, not a belt...empowering!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's DEFINITELY a different animal to run outside. I'm in Southeast Texas and I still refuse to do my C25K runs indoors. I just go super early or late so I don't die from the heat/humidity.

Way to go, by the way! :-)
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I never ran on a treadmill, have always been terrified of it. I started running 2 months ago and its always been outdoors! I LOVE IT!!!
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Love it out doors. Specially when ur running ur all sweaty hot and tired ur Almost done with ur fourth mile and then.....There is that breeze congratulating u, telling u U MADE it. Encouraging u to keep on going, encouraging u to come back tomorrow.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I cannot run on a treadmill for some unknown reason, so its hitting the pavements for me.

I also find if I run really far in one direction, you have to get back so have to keep running (I suppose you could walk but thats cheating) :bigsmile:
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills too. I have ADD type personality and I get SO bored staring at the same thing while on a treadmill. Outside you can at least go different ways and see new things. Haha
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    If I run on the treadmill, I fall on my face! or at least come close to it! I love running outdoors though...

Congrats on finding the joy in it!