Question for you who own Hand Guns

Options
Altarian
Altarian Posts: 230 Member
Need some advice from those who own or have owned a Hand Gun. I started a new job last week and it requires me to be armed. I currently use a .38 special that i borrow from the company. Any advice on what kind of hand gun i should get for my side arm since everyone else has chosen to carry their personal instead of using the revolver that the company has. Before using the .38 Special a week ago the last time i fired a gun was 14 years ago testing out a Helwan - Egyptian -- 9mm Luger with my dad. So i've not shot an semi automatic in that long.

This is not for a debate on gun laws/rights. if it turns into one i hope an admin shuts this down. I need help with this as i'm clueless on the topic.

So anyone have any suggestions? Can either post them here or send me a message in private.

Replies

• ChcolateLady11
    Options
    If you can, you should try a few out at a gun range :-) get a feel for what you like.

I own a compact .45 named Hagitha ;-) a little powerful thing.
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    Depends what your job is, I am thinking private security?

If so, anything in the .40 or .45 caliber. All the cops here are issued a glock in the .40 caliber. I personally carry a glock 9mm mainly because I don't have a proper holster for my .45. But down right 1 or 2 shots with any caliber will stop most people in their tracks, so go with what you feel comfortable with.
  • banstett
    banstett Posts: 95
    Options
    Xdm 45
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Picking a hand gun is a very personal choice... You need to go to a range that rents them and try a few different ones out.

If it's just a work item and nothing your going to really get into a Glock or my preference a Springfield XDM are both good weapons. Accurate, good capacity, and very easy to clean and service.

Some people are die-hard 1911 fans... if that is your preference go for it, but they are typically 2x's the money, heavier, and harder to clean. They do look cooler for sure (IMO).
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you can, you should try a few out at a gun range :-) get a feel for what you like.

I own a compact .45 named Hagitha ;-) a little powerful thing.

Agree, guns are like guitars in that you need to try them out to see what works best for you. Having said that, I got a lot of love for the Sig Sauer P226 for the main, P229 for the back up. Can be chambered in 9 MM, .40 cal S & W or .357 Sig.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't "carry" a handgun but I have a sweet little 22 pistol for target shooting. My brother in laws raz me about my "Girlie gun" but I love shooting with my boys, especially plastic bottles half filled with water. They pop up in the air when you hit them. Fun!!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a .38 special snub nosed S&W Diamondback. My husband has a .40 Taurus that he really likes. I like the Taurus too, though. It's a pretty great gun.
  • Lisaherbalmomma
    Options
    OH, I wish my son was here right now. He's our gun expert-he's been helping me to decide on a gun, too. But, like was previously said you do need to go to a gun range and handle it yourself there is such a big difference from gun to gun. The little 22's are cute, but if you're serious about protection you usually want knock-down power. I mean if we are desperate enough or feel threatened enough to shoot at somebody or something we want it stopped in its tracks. So, get something with some knockdown power.
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't conceal/carry, but I am personally a fan of revolvers and after some research and range time, I ended up selecting a Ruger GP 100 .357 which also allows me to shoot .38

If you are looking for a magazine fed pistol, then there are so many options, that it's probably going to come down to a personal preference and cost. I've shot some pistols from Kimber, Browning, Springfield, Taurus, and Colt. I'm not a fan of the Gloc (at least those I've shot), but there are plenty of enthusiasts out there.

I'd start by researching what are the typical or preferred weapons for law enforcement and security and narrow down your selection and to echo other commenters - see if there's a gun range that rents weapons in your area.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It also helps to know your budget but I assume you want a basic handgun.

Like many said this is a personal choice. I carry a a Colt Combat COmmander with two extra mags. I agree with going to a place that rents out weapons- try them out and find what "fits" best for you especially while shooting! Many times a weapon that feels good in your hand hurts or doesnt feel right when you shoot it. Also if semi-autos make you uncomfy then look into some of the better revolvers as suggested above.

ALso- I am unsure what your job is but please for the love of God spend money on a decent holster! I use Bladetech holsters. SInce this is for a job that means you will be carrying it a lot- nothing sucks worse then having a crappy holster that sags, shifts and pulls at you. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of people I see purchase a $1500+ handgun and buy the el cheepo Uncle Mikes nylon one size fits all holsters. A good holster keeps the weapon well secured, readyf or rapid deployment and its just more comfy all around.

ALso, unless restricted by your job, also get decent defensive rounds that you can afford. I run only Wilson COmbat ammo in my weapons. But any decent hollow point or bonded ammo will do.

If your job requires you to be out at night a lot spend the money on tritium sights if you can afford it. My two cents are tritiums are invaluable and should be the first accessory to a weapon someone should buy (followed by a light).

FInally- and the Glock fans will hate me for this- I would shy away from a Glock or any weapon that has what I consider the following flaw. I have a real problem with any weapon that one must pull the trigger in order to disassemble the weapon. For a new shooter not well versed in the 4 Rules of Firearms (and for many who are) there are just too many instances of negligent discharges when cleaning a weapon for my taste. Again this is my preference and there are many many Glock owners that do not have a problem with this. YMMV.
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. i'll take all your suggestions into consideration. Especially the one about testing out guns first. Especially since most of you are suggesting guns with clips and not sure if i would like that better then a revolver or not.
    Thank you all again.
    BTW my job is an armed guard for a security company that transports money for financial institutions and the federal reserve/mint here in the upper midwest.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My current and ongoing love is our Glock 19(3rd gen). Just a very capable gun. I could rip clips through this bad boy all day.

I love anything made by Sig Sauer. Their guns feel like heaven in my hands. :smile:

You really can't go wrong with a good old 1911.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Also, I started with revolver's due to their ease of use. Once I felt familiar, I moved on to semi-autos.

My favorite handgun of all time is a friend's snub nose, ported, .38 special.
  • CalWalker
    CalWalker Posts: 16
    Options
    Try a glock in 40. its a similar load to what you using now.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As others have said, go to the gun range and get a feel for what you like. That's what I did. The Glock 19 was my choice due to how it fit in my hand and ease of use for being lefthanded
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Agree, guns are like guitars in that you need to try them out to see what works best for you. Having said that, I got a lot of love for the Sig Sauer P226 for the main, P229 for the back up. Can be chambered in 9 MM, .40 cal S & W or .357 Sig.
    I run with a P229 40 full time because it's good enough for most government and law enforcement. They are a good few hundred more than a similar Glock and you might prefer a glock or anything else for that matter. Go to a good range that rents guns.

You don't want to have any issue or fear of your own gun if you ever, god forbid, need it.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    For a hand gun I prefer a 357 snub nose revolver as I have had auto's jam on me when the chips were down, it's something you never forget or get past.
    Also, I carry a 12 gauge. It's great close and medium range, but not so good far away unless you aim high, get lucky and pierce the brain through the eye; we don't count on that.
    Anyway, no reasonable man ever wants to be in that situation where deadly force becomes necessary, but sometimes life deals those cards, and good equipment is paramount.
    It's never a problem until it's a problem.
    Good Luck!
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Go to a gun range and try several different ones. The .38 the company offers may be fine with you. You will need to stay at no lower than a .38.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    hey op, thanks for this topic! i've been looking for a new gun myself.. i think i'm going to get me to range :)
  • treetpflyer
    treetpflyer Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to try out several and determine how you will carry the gun. I first got a Glock 23, .40 caliber. I love it but it is too big to carry day-to-day. So bought a Ruger LCP .380 because it fits perfectly in any pocket. Good luck!