Is your significant other 'on board'???

Options
JWB42
JWB42 Posts: 112
Just wanted to know if your significant other is on board with your weight-loss? My hubby is thrilled that I am losing weight but WILL NOT commit to 'Meatless Mondays' :ohwell:

I know I can do Meatless Mondays by myself BUT he would benefit from this as well and has already lost weight from my new healthier way of making meals.

What's happening in your house??

Replies

• weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My wife are both on board, but I won't give up meat either. We need to squeeze it in for a healthy diet IMHO. That and men like meat.

You could just nuke him some bacon to go with something veggie if he needs it?
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    He supports me, but is not eatting what I eat...lol and I am fine with that. It builds my will power ;-)
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Mine is supportive of me changing my eating/exercising habits, but at his heaviest (now) he's up to a healthy weight for his height (always been underweight before). He doesn't have the healthiest eating habits because he doesn't see it as an issue for him, not having been overweight.

We eat as a family in the evening and he enjoys the food. And his habits are slowly improving. But given how bad they were I don't think he'll ever eat 'clean'. He also doesn't believe in exercise 'for fun' or as a hobby. He'll walk to get somewhere or do stuff that needs doing but that's it. TBF we do a lot of walking as we don't have a car and the public transport where we are is awful.

He is a bit of a fussy eater as well and would not eat a meal without meat. He would eat fishfingers (fishsticks) at a push but that's about it. He does eat some veg and salad now which is much better than he used to be.

When we were 18 and first living together we cooked separately as he had 2 meals. One was instant noodles (ramen?), and the other was a pile of sausages with brown sauce. :huh:
    By those standards his diet is practically perfect now :laugh:

However he is very supportive of me. And he loves me whatever my size, which actually does help.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    MrBigMack is indeed on board... and on MFP.

And what is this "meatless Monday" thing you talk about? We do "all-meat Monday" at our place :bigsmile:
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Yes hubby is on board, also on MFP
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the husband is on board, but he sneaks in McDonald's during breaks at work ALL the time. He has been a little better about it since he applied for a patrol officer position, thank goodness.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    My bf just doesn't know how to eat healthy and make it taste good. He's also really picky and won't eat fish or wheat bread. :/
  • weeblex
    Options
    My bf just doesn't know how to eat healthy and make it taste good. He's also really picky and won't eat fish or wheat bread. :/

You can sneak in wheat bread if you find the white wheat bread they have now, here is one, http://naturesownbread.com/products/Whitewheat/WhiteWheatBread/
  • Erisad
    Options

You can sneak in wheat bread if you find the white wheat bread they have now, here is one, http://naturesownbread.com/products/Whitewheat/WhiteWheatBread/

I might have to. Although I like the whole wheat grain breads. I haven't moved in with him yet but when we do we have to get this under control. Since I'll probably do most of the cooking, I guess he'll have to deal with it.
  • jessie5367
    jessie5367 Posts: 13
    Options
    My husband supports me, but he isn't on board for all the healthy changes. He works his *kitten* off at work and probably could burn 1000 calories a day easily. So I understand why he is not interested in changing his lifestyle.

He is okay with not having a lot of "bad" snacks in the house, as long as I have tons to fruit to choose from. He also goes for walks with me and helps me to make healthy decisions when we go out to dinner.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes my babe is awesome. He supports me, and I cook so if he wants to eat well...
    No really he goes along with what I want, but I am a no do without the meat, I gotta have it, girl! So what's he got to be afraid of ;)
  • weeblex
    Options

I might have to. Although I like the whole wheat grain breads. I haven't moved in with him yet but when we do we have to get this under control. Since I'll probably do most of the cooking, I guess he'll have to deal with it.

I HATE bitty bread, I'll have white bread at our favorite diner to avoid it, I like the taste of wheat just not the bits.

My wife and I are both picky eaters but different ways, I eat almost all sorts of veg and she is really picky. Solution is to mix them up, Swede or cauliflower mix well with mashed potato to halve carbs. Zucchini we cut like french fries and mixed those in. So a mix.

I'm picky about the whole dish and spices, so we are just trying a few things with snacks on standby. It can be done, just baby steps :smile:
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yep, we are both using mfp. We have taken up playing tennis together. At different times, we have each lost weight before, but never together at the same time. It's so much better when we are both changing our eating/exercise habits together. It's too easy to give up when the other person doesn't seem to care. We will be hitting the gym together once the kids go back to school.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My husband has never been overweight. He has a very active job (landscaper), and in this hot, humid, awful, summer, he burns off everything he eats and more.
    He is very supportive of me though. Just today, he told me how skinny I am getting (which I am not, I still have a long way to go), but the acknowledgement of my journey so far made me feel good.
  • cwannabee
    cwannabee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband is completely supportive of what I'm doing. He likes to be experimental in the kitchen so trying new things are not an issues. He has changed his habits as I've changed mine and has dropped probably 15lbs just based of the changes I've made in what I buy at the store and what we are cooking.

However, he doesn't really exercise aside from what he gets at work. He's never been overweight for his height either....still I've tried to encourage him to exercise for his overall health. So far he hasn't found something that he's 'into' aside from after dinner walks with the family...which is good.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Mine is not.... he is already thin.... I have been begging for him to start exercising just to be healthy. Tonight for instance he wanted his meat brushed with olive oil so the seasoning would stick better. I had to cook mine separate and had mixed veggies and he had bacon ranch pasta salad.

It doesnt bother me really though. :grumble:
  • Erisad
    Options

I HATE bitty bread, I'll have white bread at our favorite diner to avoid it, I like the taste of wheat just not the bits.

My wife and I are both picky eaters but different ways, I eat almost all sorts of veg and she is really picky. Solution is to mix them up, Swede or cauliflower mix well with mashed potato to halve carbs. Zucchini we cut like french fries and mixed those in. So a mix.

I'm picky about the whole dish and spices, so we are just trying a few things with snacks on standby. It can be done, just baby steps :smile:

The whiter your bread, the quicker you're dead. That's what my nutrition teacher used to say, since white bread tends to have bleach in it. That scared me away from white bread for the most part. I'm not picky, but I really want to eat healthy as much as possible and I feel guilty whenever I eat poorly. So I'm picky that way I guess. I'm glad he has resisted wings and mozzarella sticks for the past few weeks.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My husband has never been overweight. He has a very active job (landscaper), and in this hot, humid, awful, summer, he burns off everything he eats and more.
    He is very supportive of me though. Just today, he told me how skinny I am getting (which I am not, I still have a long way to go), but the acknowledgement of my journey so far made me feel good.

This describes my fiance to a tee. He works at a planer mill, and easily burns 1000 calories a day...so he eats whatever he wants, and thankfully, manages to keep it out of my line of sight most of the time. He is a foodie too though, so he loves all of the healthy delicious stuff I've been making lately
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did this for about 2 weeks consitantly when i restarted my dedication to being healthy. those 2 weeks i almost gave up again watching my wife do as she wanted and eat as she pleased, she finally decided to join the gym with me get my fitness pal and we have been doing this side by side now
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I informed my husband that I would no longer be cooking to his tastes and he is fine with it since he knows we'll both be better off in the long run. (I should mention he doesn't have bad taste, thus why we *both* need to lose weight). Getting him to exercise is another matter as he really hates exercise. He has been very good about putting the baby to bed, though, so I'm able to get in some cardio and weight training at night.