Running with my dog

Options
I get up around 6-6:30am, and I do a short 10 minute walk with my dog so he can do his business. I've been thinking of changing it to a 10 minute walk with a 30 minute run.
Only thing is my dog is a small shi tzu. Not sure if he'll be able to keep up for a half hour run. Anyone run with their dogs?

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How old? What's the weather like? What's your dog's normal activity level?

Barring any health/joint issues, your dog should be able to do it, IF you work him up to it, and are mindful of the fact that dogs have substantially different cooling mechanisms than we do.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Wow.. hot topic today! This is the 3rd dog thread I've noticed so far :smile:

Here's another with lots of responses (including my own)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668867-dog-as-running-buddy

But yes, I do run with my dog.... half corgi half shih-tzu, I don't go more than 2-3 miles with her, and not at all when it's really hot or humid. I asked my vet, and she said my dog was healthy enough for it and so long as I wasn't dragging her along she would be just fine.
    :smile:
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    Hi,
    Great of you to think of your dog as well. Small dogs do enjoy running! However they do get very hot!! I would start off with a small run (maybe 1/2 mile) and test your dog. It looks like you are in Miami, so your dog will probably get hot. Just test it out slowly! Dogs do get heatstroke as well.

Another great tool is called the "Springer", it's a bike attachment.

Sincerely,
    Clare
    Pet Sitter
  • miamimanni
    miamimanni Posts: 23
    Options
    How old? What's the weather like? What's your dog's normal activity level?

Barring any health/joint issues, your dog should be able to do it, IF you work him up to it, and are mindful of the fact that dogs have substantially different cooling mechanisms than we do.

My dog's active level is pretty sedentary. He's only a year old. Weather is Miami, pretty much always luke warm and humid.
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    have a shi tzu and a blue heeler and run with both of them the shi tzu thinks he's a blue heeler and will run all day no problem and always has
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes but I have boxers. Doubt a small dog could keep up
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Try C25K with your pup and adjust accordingly! My dog is huge, but no athlete so I started him off using C25K and it has been great. (I carry water for him too- we can't run together in the summer because he is a sled dog but the rest of the year he is good to go).
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I run with my Blue Heeler and my Standard Dachshund/Hound dog mix. I alternate days with them.

Start her out on small increments- Couch to 5 k is GREAT for that. Watch for overheating, slowing down, etc. Also, if she gets to where she's stopping often to pee, that's a sign she's had enough.

Also, when you start out, don't go too far from home. When she's had enough you can take her home, then continue your work out.
  • nelsoji
    nelsoji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog - he is a black lab and is 1 yr old - so MUCH different than yours - but mine is AWESOME to run with. He lets me know when I am slowing my pace because he normally runs next to me and when he gets in front of me he will start looking back at me like "ummm - lets go pal!!!"

So I know he can do it - and its AWESOME motivation to run because you want to exercise the puppy as well!!

Note that the first couple of times I tried it - we went a little too far and he literally just sat down and refused to move anymore - I had to carry him home!!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog - he is a black lab and is 1 yr old - so MUCH different than yours - but mine is AWESOME to run with. He lets me know when I am slowing my pace because he normally runs next to me and when he gets in front of me he will start looking back at me like "ummm - lets go pal!!!"

So I know he can do it - and its AWESOME motivation to run because you want to exercise the puppy as well!!

I's love to get a lab pup or a German Shepherd pup (we had a GSD before and she was THE BEST!!) to raise as my running partner...but I've got a houseful already! :bigsmile:
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have shih tzu, and I would never, ever run with her. She does not have the stamina nor energy to keep up with me. Especially since her legs are so short compared to my longer strides. But, you know your puppy better than I do! Also, be careful in this heat and heat stroke.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would run with my Havanese either. She has short little legs and besides, it's about 115˚ here, making the pavement about 150˚ even fairly early in the morning. She enjoys watching walk on the treadmill though while she is chewing on her bone.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes but I have boxers. Doubt a small dog could keep up

I have a miniature poodle who does agility and she can run my nose into the ground. The right small dog can keep up. Really OP should check with vet to make sure their dog has a build that's favorable to running and that's healthy enough etc.