How Often Do You Weigh In?

Options
So I am a bit obsessed with the scale. I am getting a bit disheartened because I all of a sudden gained 3 pounds even though I have not gone over my daily intake. I know it is probably water, but it is still frustrating. I weigh myself several times a day and am really focused on the number. Is the scale a motivator or is it detrimental to success. Should I stop or keep weighing in every day? What do you do?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, and I try to follow a very similar routine before I get on the scale.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Only when I see the doctor is when I get weighed, and I prefer it. My next weigh in is in a month in a ahalf. But I will work my butt off so my progress will be noticed by then. I have been on here for 3 1/2 months n lost 53 pounds. :)
  • PlaceOfASkull
    Options
    Every week on the same day in the morning before I eat and drink.
  • EileenT72
    EileenT72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of obsessed too....I weigh myself at least twice a day. lol But I only log it once per day!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I weigh 2-3 times a day, but only log once a week, on the same day of the week, on the same scale, at the same time.

Those 2-3 pounds up and down just keep me focused, but they aren't the real deal until Tuesday at 9:30am!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I hate my scale. I am tempted to get on it everyday. I wish I had the nerve to toss it!!
  • sdchamberlin
    Options
    Trying to stick to once per week. Very tempting to check everyday but I'm afraid it'll disappoint or discourage me!
  • pandabratt1
    pandabratt1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a day, first thing in the morning before I get in the shower. I have been told that it is better to do it only once a week, but some people have been more successful by keeping an eye on what causes the changes, you would be right that for the most part any jump of 1 lb or more in the same day is all water.
  • drlewando
    drlewando Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Once a day,,,,,, using my fitbit scale. Daily weigh-ins keep me on track
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Weekly. Every Sunday morning.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i weight myself on my doctors scale every week. It is important to use the same scale everytime too for accuracy.
  • rainwalkerSK
    Options
    Weighing daily has helped me make peace with the fluctuations. If I weigh every day and see a 2 lb jump, I know darn well that it's water weight (no way did I ingest 7,000 surplus calories in one day) and that drinking an ungodly amount of water will help flush it out (and make me feel better). If I only weigh weekly and see a 2lb jump, it's harder to convince myself that it's just water weight.
  • Coffeycreations
    Coffeycreations Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day as well.. trying to look for any positive reinforcement that i can get! if i am up a bit like today 1 lb i have to tell myself that it could be water gain-esp as a woman, hormones and all! Don't let yourself get discouraged! Try to do some other measurements as well, and take notice of how you feel and how your clothes too. Even though I'm up a pound, i still feel like i look better-that means a lot!

You could gain weight if you are working out because the muscle weighs more, etc. But, if you're losing fat your measurements are sure to be changing!

Hang in there! I'm trying to as well!
  • angusmike
    angusmike Posts: 97
    Options
    I weigh-in every morning. That's too often, I know, but I'm a bit OCD about making progress. I'm tracking any weight loss to blood glucose levels and exercise.
  • andym269
    andym269 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday >.> I know it's not good but I have an obsessive personality and I think it keeps me motivated to keep goig everyday...
  • chaverland77
    chaverland77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Every morning right after I get out of the shower and before I get dressed. It really helps me to stay focused too.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday after the nature calls every morning.I have a spreadsheet to record everyday's weight.I dont bother about gains most of the time it is sodium in food or water retention due to TOM.Every week i see what my lowest weight was.When i do this for every week i see the lowest weight does come down by 1 pound week by week as i wanted it to drop.IF in a given week my lowest doesnt go below the lowest weight from the previous week,that means i havent lost that week.Only in such a case i see if my eating was bad/if i workouts were not consistent.Dont let the scale bog u down,instead use it as a tool to keep you on track.
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Once a day, after showering and before food\drink.
    And i log it only when it is lower ;)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Sat a.m. I don't need to get upset over the ups & downs on a daily basis.
  • hwold454
    hwold454 Posts: 9
    Options
    Once a week, Mondays mornings.