Carrot chips recipe

Options
aliceg94
aliceg94 Posts: 61 Member
I found this recipe on Tumblr so I thought I'd post it. I haven't made them yet but I'll probably end up making them tonight so I'll comment and let you know what I thought :smile:
(I placed the source at the bottom and they also have a lot of other healthy recipes.)

Carrot Chips Recipe

Why munch on boring carrot sticks when you can turn raw carrots into crispy, delicate chips instead? A vegetable peeler is the only tool you’ll need to make these sweet, paper-thin crisps that are perfect for healthy snacking or as a garnish for your next salad.

What to buy: The carrot slices shrink considerably when baked, so buy the thickest carrots you can find to end up with wider, sturdier chips.

Special equipment: Use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to shave the carrots into thin, even slices. These types of peelers have a thin, flexible blade that takes off less flesh, and they easily maneuver around odd-shaped fruits and vegetables. They’re also great for turning vegetables, cheese, or chocolate into thin shavings. They can be found in most kitchen stores or online.

INGREDIENTS
2 large carrots (at least 1 inch in diameter), peeled
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Basic Ranch Dressing for dipping (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange the racks to divide the oven into thirds.
Holding the stem end, shave the carrots lengthwise into thin strips using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler. Place the carrot strips in a medium bowl, add the oil, salt, and pepper to taste and toss with your hands until thoroughly coated.
Place the strips in a single layer on 2 baking sheets—the strips can be touching but should not overlap. (Discard or save any remaining carrot slices for another use.)
Bake for 6 minutes, then rotate the pans between the racks. Bake until the edges of the chips are just starting to turn golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes more. Place the baking sheets on wire racks and let the chips cool until crisp, about 3 minutes. Using your hands, carefully transfer the chips to a serving dish and serve with ranch dressing, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Source: http://eating-healthy-rocks.tumblr.com/post/27147831243/carrot-chips-recipe-why-munch-on-boring-carrot

Replies

• Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Will totally give this a go! I love sweet potato chips, so I'm always looking for an alternative to my red light food of snacks.
  • aliceg94
    aliceg94 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just a comment to add: I made them and they taste very good. I had to leave mine in a little over the 6-8 minutes cooking time but they turned out lovely and crispy :smile:
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'll have try this!