I usually make this up as i go along, so dont ask for nutritional value lol

2 roo steaks
    400 grams crumbled greek feta cheese
    5 cups spinach
    one whole large green and red capsicum
    one cup pine nuts
    morroccan seasoning
    Minced garlic

season roo steaks with maroccan seasoning earlier int he day- cut into strips
    fry up minced garlic in a pan with 1 tsp butter
    brown your roo steak strips. in the pan
    add chopped up capsicum and pine nuts
    add crumbled feta when everything is pretty much cooked through and then add spinach last until fairly wilted.

presto.. yummo warm salad.. add any other veggies that you love if you want to!
  • trybabytry
    trybabytry Posts: 181
    Options
    Someone told me once that Kangaroo in Australia are like Deer here in Montana, so it makes sense to eat them! Now I wanna try it, haha.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Someone told me once that Kangaroo in Australia are like Deer here in Montana, so it makes sense to eat them! Now I wanna try it, haha.

Having tried both, roo had a pretty similar taste, less gamey though.. kinda between deer and beef
  • heb12one
    heb12one Posts: 9
    Options
    yeaah, no Kangaroo here in PA either. Prety sure none in the US but I guess nothing would surprise me.
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    I wouldnt expect anyone in the US to eat kangaroo, the company that sells the majority of it here in aus is
    http://www.macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au/Recipes.aspx
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This thread made me want to cry. Of course, the idea of eating rabbit, squirrel, or deer makes me want to cry, too. Sigh.... I'm a big baby. :ohwell:
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've looked into it and they are not farmed. I imagine most farmers would be pretty happy for the hunters to come and get rid of "the pests". Apparently they absolutely ruin the farmers' land.

BTW - I don't eat them, I'm pescatarian

This is from the DFAT site

The Australian rangeland environment is fragile and easily degraded. Kangaroos have evolved as part of the Australian ecosystem and, with their soft feet, cause no environmental degradation at natural population levels. However, kangaroo populations have increased dramatically since European settlement in these areas due to the introduction of European farming methods and, for this reason, carefully controlled harvesting is required.

Kangaroo harvesting is carried out under the strict environmental controls provided by the Australian Government’s Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The commercial harvesting of widespread and abundant kangaroo species contributes to the sustainability of the Australian environment.

The four species of kangaroo that are commercially harvested have very large populations. None is threatened or endangered. The Red kangaroo, Eastern grey kangaroo and Western grey kangaroo are the most abundant species and make up over 90 per cent of the commercial harvest. Their combined population size has fluctuated between 15 and 50 million animals over the past 25 years in the harvested areas, depending on seasonal conditions.

The harvesting of kangaroos is permitted on a quota basis that is reviewed annually and independent of market demand. Quotas are set on the basis of population size and trends, and long-term climate predictions. Conservation of the species remains the foremost consideration. This approach ensures that the harvesting of kangaroos is managed in an ecologically sustainable way.

There is no farming of kangaroos in Australia. Kangaroos are harvested in the wild by licensed hunters.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to cook it but when I visited Australia last year I did eat some. It wasn't too bad actually. It's not something I'd want to eat all the time; I still prefer chicken and fish to anything else but if it was more available in the US I think I'd have it on occasion just for a little variety.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've looked into it and they are not farmed. I imagine most farmers would be pretty happy for the hunters to come and get rid of "the pests". Apparently they absolutely ruin the farmers' land.

BTW - I don't eat them, I'm pescatarian

This is from the DFAT site

The Australian rangeland environment is fragile and easily degraded. Kangaroos have evolved as part of the Australian ecosystem and, with their soft feet, cause no environmental degradation at natural population levels. However, kangaroo populations have increased dramatically since European settlement in these areas due to the introduction of European farming methods and, for this reason, carefully controlled harvesting is required.

Kangaroo harvesting is carried out under the strict environmental controls provided by the Australian Government’s Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The commercial harvesting of widespread and abundant kangaroo species contributes to the sustainability of the Australian environment.

The four species of kangaroo that are commercially harvested have very large populations. None is threatened or endangered. The Red kangaroo, Eastern grey kangaroo and Western grey kangaroo are the most abundant species and make up over 90 per cent of the commercial harvest. Their combined population size has fluctuated between 15 and 50 million animals over the past 25 years in the harvested areas, depending on seasonal conditions.

The harvesting of kangaroos is permitted on a quota basis that is reviewed annually and independent of market demand. Quotas are set on the basis of population size and trends, and long-term climate predictions. Conservation of the species remains the foremost consideration. This approach ensures that the harvesting of kangaroos is managed in an ecologically sustainable way.

There is no farming of kangaroos in Australia. Kangaroos are harvested in the wild by licensed hunters.

You cannot physically "fence in" roos. so you cannot farm them.

Roos can jump pretty much an reasonable fence that you can build. It would cost a **** load to build roo fences. and even though roos live in herds (or whatever they live in), they do not fare well in close spaces. roos are like pandas, if they dont have the resources or space avaliable, wich is ALOT, they wont breed. so farming them isnt feesable, plus we have to many anyway
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    :( My boyfriend had a pet kangaroo. Her name was Strawberry.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

You cannot physically "fence in" roos. so you cannot farm them.

Roos can jump pretty much an reasonable fence that you can build. It would cost a **** load to build roo fences. and even though roos live in herds (or whatever they live in), they do not fare well in close spaces. roos are like pandas, if they dont have the resources or space avaliable, wich is ALOT, they wont breed. so farming them isnt feesable, plus we have to many anyway

[/quote]

Another reason! I just thought it would be silly to farm them while culling wild ones. If I was going to eat meat I would prefer to eat kangaroos because they cull them anyway.

My dog pretty much only eats roo meat.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Getting back to the o.p...

I substitute Roo mince for almost any recipe that calls for beef mince (ground beef). The mince is super cheap and you can find it at any Cole's or Woolies.

Lasagne, chili con carne (tailgate chili), meatloaf, pasta and meatballs, tacos... you name it. I've found that if tomato sauce/paste is in the recipe, there's no discernible difference between the taste of the beef recipe vs. the kangaroo.

Yeah. They're cute. But so are cows and lambs. BFD. The sustainability factor wins over the cuteness factor for me.
  • SaltyPlusSweet
    Options
    I kind of want to try Kangaroo now. D: Sadly don't think the US offers it. Humph.
  • Garywf
    Garywf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the same thoughts about increasing iron intake by eating 'roo occasionally.
    We had a meal of kangaroo last night and it was very tasty. My wife cut the steaks into strips and marinated them in a combination of plum sauce, white wine, egg white & soy sauce before grilling it. Serve with steamed green beans and mushroom pasta.
  • writinwater
    Options
    I live in the UK at the moment and I miss 'roo steak sooo much!! It's tastey as hell and so good for you - lean with lots of protein!

I like it chopped into large chunks, stir fried briefly in garlic and then add soy sauce right at the end - the meat literally soaks it up.

Nomnomnomnomnoms!

You definately have to like your steak rare to appreciate kangaroo - as previously stated it dries out and gets very hard to chew if you over cook it. I like my steak cooked blue, so it's perfect for me.

I'm actually drooling a little just thinking about it... (Yes, I'm basically a carnivore..)

Oh, and if you can get them - kanga banga's ('roo sausages) are tastey too!
  • LoveAustralia
    LoveAustralia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking some kanga steaks as we speak, just coating them in some chilli seasoning
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    OHHHHHH yeah!!!! We have a place out of Chichester, New Hampshire that sells wild game...

https://secure1.jmazedesign.com/~bison/order_form.php?cat_id=60

Their main list would be here: https://secure1.jmazedesign.com/~bison/products.htm
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Vegans please don't read on.Pan fry it on a quite high heat in OLIVE oil and a little salt. Make sure it is a on the rare side and it will taste like the most expensive steak money can buy, overcook it and it will taste like a cross between old tyre and liver. Even people who like steak well done will prefer it this way. I have never had an overseas visitor not go for second helpings . You can also marinate it with the usual steak type marinades if you intend to overcook it.
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    Iv'e decided to start eating Kangaroo as I don't seem to be getting enough Iron and I want to increase my protein intake to try add a little muscle.
    Any good suggestions on how to serve it without ruining its great nutritional values?

You can download an ebook or look online. Google "Macro Meats" (brand of kangaroo I buy)
    x