This you call healthy food?

Options
bathsheba_c
bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
I stopped off at my usual hole-in-the-wall grocery store to get some yogurt with granola for breakfast today. A company representative from the competing yogurt company was there, and tried to convince me to buy his company's new line of yogurt. I pointed out that his company's new line of yogurt was yogurt topped with candy (literally), and so I was going to stick with mine, thank you. He pointed out that my yogurt was also full of sugar.

A quick label comparison showed that my yogurt had 100 fewer calories and half the carbohydrates! :noway:

What is the most ridiculous thing you've had someone try to fob off on you as healthy?

Replies

• TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    The most ridiculous thing that I hear a lot is that pasteurized milk is better & safer than raw milk. A very BIG BS!!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I stopped off at my usual hole-in-the-wall grocery store to get some yogurt with granola for breakfast today. A company representative from the competing yogurt company was there, and tried to convince me to buy his company's new line of yogurt. I pointed out that his company's new line of yogurt was yogurt topped with candy (literally), and so I was going to stick with mine, thank you. He pointed out that my yogurt was also full of sugar.

A quick label comparison showed that my yogurt had 100 fewer calories and half the carbohydrates! :noway:

What is the most ridiculous thing you've had someone try to fob off on you as healthy?
    I don't consider yogurt with granola healthy at all.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My friend tried to convince me pizza isn't bad. Yes you can put thing on it and if you make your own at home it's probably not as bad but still. Yogurt is yummy and has healthy properties but it does have a lot of sugar. granola is also high in sugar and carbs. It's like a more natural dessert then a meal or snack.

Cereal is another big "heathy" but not food.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    We are constantly bombarded with an advert at the moment for limited edition Healthy Golden Honey Roasted Oats Cereal bars - the official bar of the London Olympics. They play the advert constantly at my gym. Olympics, must be healthy right? Basically they're sugar, oatts, honey and covered in chocolate. Sound delicious, but NOT healthy!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Um, why are people saying that unsweetened yogurt with two tablespoons of sweetened granola is unhealthy? A serving has 10 g of protein and 3 g of fiber, and is only 166 calories. :huh:

And I'm gonna keep drinking my pasteurized milk. No listeria poisoning for me! :flowerforyou:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Anything with health claims on the label is generally suspect for me.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Apples
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    All the healthy "low calorie" snack bars.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothies, like the ones they sell at Cold Stone. Most are made with concentrated fruit flavored syrups mixed with ice. So much better to make them at home.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    "Diet" and "light" versions of products. Yes they are lower calorie, but they usually have a lot more sugar and salt in than the more natural version.
    One time I was particularly curious about this and had a look at the ingredients list of ribena (the normal one) and ribena light. The ribena light had around 2-3 times more ingredients (most I couldn't pronounce!)

This is similar to when people think high calorie instantly equals unhealthy. High calorie =/= bad!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    granola

not really that healthy as far as the store bought granola goes
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whose wife and child drank raw milk from a local dairy. They later found out that one of the cows had rabies, and everybody who had milk from the dairy had to go in for rabies treatment (a LOT of injections). If the milk had been pasteurized, there would not have been any danger from the rabies. All pasteurization does is remove microorganisms from the milk.
    The most ridiculous thing that I hear a lot is that pasteurized milk is better & safer than raw milk. A very BIG BS!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    When I asked a waitress if they had anything healthy on their menu, she said yes..the fish. Which was battered and deep fried.:noway:
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    My boss at work was eating a flapjack and refered to it as a 'cereal bar' because of the oats. I had to tell her that flapjacks are oats, stuck together with butter and golden syrup... she had no idea! The particular one she was eating had over 600 calories
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    Anything with health claims on the label is generally suspect for me.

Good call.
  • flamax
    flamax Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @ Matt Wild ,I think a tbs of nutella in a slice of whole grain bread is the same of PB jelly,and people said that's healthy!!!To me nutella is a great snack in moderation like everything!!!
  • MrsSpindler
    Options
    Anything in the food store that claims to be healthy. "heart smart" "low fat" "no added sugar"

I buy things from farmer's markets. Things that are fresh and haven't been loaded with a million other ingredients.
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Did you ever read a label on Health choice and other Fast diet fixes? Most have 500- 1000 and over in sodium. Just READ YOUR LABELS. Pretty packaging slapped with broken promises on the front isnt going to make you healthy. If I was wearing a banner that said supermodel of course you wouldnt believe it lol. Same goes for labels. What is sad most nutrition labels STILL hide a lot of stuff they dont want you to see. Example "gluten free" . They can hide it in "other natural flavors" and go under numerous chemical names. The best answer if you want to aviod ALL hype and labels is to make your OWN garden. No frills no package saves gas going to the store AND you burn calories gardening.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

It is safer. There's different types of bacteria that can contaminate milk.