FitBit---is it worth the money?

Options
I have heard about the FitBit through a few threads on here and did some research on it. It seems like a nice tool and a good way to become more motivated, but it is kind of expensive.

Anyone on here have one and highly recommend it or have an opinion on the FitBit at all?

Thanks!

Replies

• beansNboo
    beansNboo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it daily. I really love watching my steps/stairs increase. It gives you a more accurate estimate of how much exercise you really get in a day, and then automatically adjusts your calorie allotment for the day (if you go over what your settings have you burning in a typical day). That way, you only need to add things like strength training (which doesn't get picked up by fitbit, of course). I also like the sleep function - nice bonus feature if you are curious about your sleeping efficiency!

If you decide to get one, I hope you enjoy it! Customer service is fantastic!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I love mine! It keeps me motivated, tracks activity, and makes it easier for me to make adjustments. I haven't heard anyone at all complain about this product.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    LOOOOVE mine! I haven't gone a day without it since March. And ditto what the PP said...the Customer Service is fantastic. Even though it is a little expensive if something does happen to it even if it's your fault (ie: you swim with it, wash it, even lose it) they replace it for FREE!! Totally worth it my opinion. ;)
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Depends on your form of movement. If you alternate walking / running I wouldn't bother because it can be inaccurate when your stride changes.

It's great for walking.. stair climbing.. sleep monitoring.
  • jerilph
    jerilph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have one too and love it. Like the above poster, i like watching my steps and stairs increase and I sleep with it nightly and it has confirmed what I thought about my sleep, I wake up as often or more every night than I thought I did. I have had it about a month and have only gone 2 days without it since buying it, once because I forgot it and yesterday when I went to the beach. It is water resistant but not water proof so I left it home so I wouldn't forget to take it off when I got in the water. Plus water resistant but who knows how resistant to salt water. Good luck if you get one, I hope you will like it as much as I do mine.
  • Incredible_Shrinking_Jenn
    Options
    LOOOOVE mine too!!! I definitely move more and do more just to increase my fitbit stats!!! It's awesome and accurate! I bought mine with best buy rewards from my best buy credit card and so it was cheap for me.
  • klabasik
    klabasik Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I have one, my mom, my sister and my boyfriend. Keeps us on track and is a good motivator. I also really like how it integrates into mfp! Plus- they have a great warranty program, and good customer service.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    If you like to walk/hike/run its the perfect think for you :) It is amazingly accurate on those things and yes it is AWESOME! You could try Amazon.com to find it cheaper which I have seen it for $80 instead of $100. Keep in mind the fit bit does not work by heart rate but by movement, it works like a wii remote. Good Luck with your decision.
  • karijoeide
    karijoeide Posts: 103
    Options
    Love LOVE LOVE my fitbit...HATE HATE HATE that it went through the washer and no longer works. It is a fantastic gadget and worth the money. I was sad I forgot mine in my pocket and it went through the washer/dryer. I decided not to re-invest as it is a tad spendy....
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    YES!! I love it, borderline addicted to it :)
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I just ordered one last night. Hoping it will help with exercise motivation...could really use it :)
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    Simple answer is yes. The very least that it has done for me is to get me to move a lot more during the day. That alone is worth it, IMO.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Love LOVE LOVE my fitbit...HATE HATE HATE that it went through the washer and no longer works. It is a fantastic gadget and worth the money. I was sad I forgot mine in my pocket and it went through the washer/dryer. I decided not to re-invest as it is a tad spendy....

I have read a few reports that if you call the company, they will send you a replacement. Worth a try?!
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I won't take a step without mine! Worth double the money!!!
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love mine!! It keeps me motivated to take more steps! I didn't realize how few steps I took during the day until I got this! I love how I can sync it to MFP too! Customer service is great too! Mine fell off and when I found it, it was in the drive way and had been run over! I was so upset! But I worked with Customer service and got it replaced for free!!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't have one. I think they seem interesting, but if I got one it would probably go the same way as my HRM, which I only used for a month or two.

It is expensive, and it seems to be good motivation for some people, but you can lose weight just fine without buying fancy, expensive things.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is worth it. I got mine for $85 on e bay. It really helps me to see how much I move or don't move each day.

I reviewed the fitbit and bodybugg on my blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Masq

I returned the bodybugg and kept the Fitbit if that tells you anythihng. :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've had one for a couple of months now. It was fun at first and it got kind of addicting to check in and see how many steps you've taken or calories you've burned, but there came a point when I stopped using it as much, and it doesn't accurately calculate exercise calories (since it doesn't monitor your heart rate). Is it a fun little device that gives you a good idea of how much energy you expend during a typical day? Sure. Would I go back and buy it again? Nah.
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    Options
    Love my Fitbit.......it is fabulous. Got it on right now and I don't leave home without it!
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I give it an overall 8.5/10. It has motivated me to move and to also buy the Fit Bit Aria scale. I have worn a regulat pedometer on one hip and the fitbit on the other and they were within 10 steps of each other. So it is very accurate. I just wish it had a audible message every 1000 steps you have completed.

I LOVE it as a sleep tracker! Wow oh wow is it useful!

The fact that it sync with MFP was what had me purchase it!

Worth the money I spent on it.