Question about sugar...

Options
So with the summer being here, there is about a gazillion fruits that are in season that are super low calorie, but is it just as bad to go over your daily sugar if it is all fruit and natural sugar as it is if you ate candy or refined sugars?

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer myself! I was JUST going to post almost this exact thing. I am juicing for breakfast, which helps me feel full all day and gets loads of fruit and veg into my diet. However, I just started tracking my sugar, and I am over by the time I finish my juice! I find it hard to imagine fruit is bad for me, so I feel like I don't want to count those juice calories against myself (the majority comes from the apples, which also provide great fiber). Thoughts?
  • bsudano
    bsudano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's just as bad as eating candy, but sugar is sugar, and it will affect your weight loss just the same. Keep in mind that we've been selectively breeding fruit for thousands of years, so it's much larger and sweeter than what our ancestors would have found naturally.

If you want to shop seasonally, I would stick mostly to melon and berries as they have the lowest sugar content.
  • NickPineault
    Options
    For maximum fat loss, keep your fruit intake to 1-2 servings per day. That is if you're already taking care of the important stuff (portion control, eating natural foods, exercise, etc.).

If fruits prevent you from eating other sugary and calorie-packed treats, stick with them.

The sugar in fruits is glucose and fructose, but the fiber, enzymes and other nutrients in the fruit prevent your blood sugar from spiking too much.

High fructose corn syrup (in sodas and candies), white sugar and other forms of processed sugar will worsen your health and slow your weight loss much more than whole fruits.

A litte note: all the benefits are lost when you're talking about fruit juice. Even the 100% NOT from concentrated kind. Pasteurisation makes the juice a sugar-laden blood sugar spiking beverage.

Nick
    Nutrition and Weight loss coach
  • joantaairi2002
    Options
    Hi people!

Nick, what if your actually juicing fresh fruits and veggies at home in a juicer? Do you still get all the benefits of them? I know store bought juices are not good for you, I am transitioning to a eating clean lifestyle and understand pasteurisation kills our foods and bodies, but if we make the juice ourselves do we reap the benefits?

Thanks
    joan
  • NickPineault
    Options
    Juicing at home is great. Use a "slow juicer" which crushes the fruits and veggies slowly instead of a Vitamix which blends everything up with this big engine, to make sure the enzymes and nutrients are kept intact.

Ginger, carrots, onions, kale, spinach, and all sorts of fruits are all great additions to your home juices.

Also, make sure to consume the juice within 12 hours because it can go bad really fast, and because some vitamins are very volatile and will decrease in number and potency if you wait too much after pressing your juice.