Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

Options

Replies

• krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    I love salads and it's part of why I lost weight and kept it off. Salad with lots of vegetables, simple grilled meat, and a small amount of dressing is fantastic. If loving raw veggies makes me fat, then I don't wanna be thin :P

Lol, no the book isn't saying don't eat salads by any means, especially if you LIKE them. Like I said, it's more targeted towards people who are trying to change their lifestyle that don't LIKE salads, and saying "You don't have to eat salads to be thin." It never advises you not to eat salads, just not the UNHEALTHY ones that are topped with breadded chicken, croutons, chips, and tons of fatty dressing. BUT some people aren't smart about it and just think "a salad is a salad." Better to make them at home with oil and vinegar as one of the other girls said.
  • krystyleee
    Options
    Ladies, don't get so caught up in the title of the book, lol. It's not advising anyone NOT to eat a healthy salad.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting and I've never eaten a salad in my life! Why do people think that's the ultimate go to health food?

because you can have a ton of lettuce for like next to nothing calories. (just a for instance look at subway a veggie delight salad can be around 270 calories no dressing.)

But it CAN be the ultimate health food if you put enough protein on it and don't have too much fatty dressing. I actually don't use dressing at all. I have salads nearly every day for lunch AND dinner. But I always put lots of protein on it, and I mix things up - sundried tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, dried cranberries, feta cheese...I love my salads and don't want to give them up!

I agree to the no dressing part. I do not use dressing, but I am clever about putting lots of VARIETY and flavors into my salads. I now add fresh herbs from my garden and edible flowers. I got the idea from a woman who bags salad in Cape Cod. She has like ten different kinds of greens, herbs, and always an edible flower like a zinnia or a nasturtium. I started using hibiscus and gardenia since I have them in abundance. When school is in session, I make a dozen or so bags of salads with flowers and give them to my friends, and even though they could make the bags themselves, they adore this small gesture. It gets us to eat beautiful fiber filled salads and realize all the vitamin benefits of greens.

I also add lots of protein to my salad and good fats like almonds or avocados. I agree with TDR that adding wet things like sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers ( I add hearts of palm and artichoke hearts) makes it so easy to never miss the dressing!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Oh, but to reply to your original question - I have heard of the book, it's had a lot of hype in the weight-loss community but I haven't heard of anyone whose life was changed because of it. Still seems like an interesting read
  • mercymarque
    mercymarque Posts: 450
    Options
    That's crazy. When I go to Cheesecake Factory I usually get there Cobb Salad. I guess I won't do that no more.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. When I go to Cheesecake Factory I usually get there Cobb Salad. I guess I won't do that no more.

I think it's mostly the dressing. Just get the dressing on the side, or none at all. Croutons also probably...just be selective about what goes into your salad, and you'll be fine, no matter what restaurant you're at. I don't shy away from ordering salads, I just make sure they aren't full of cheese and croutons and dressing and nuts and bacon. Those seem to be the biggies at restaurants that add calories.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love salad :(

but i use a bed of lettuce as the vehicle for my 'sandwiches'

you haven't lived until you've had a blt salad. :flowerforyou:
  • krystyleee
    Options
    Oh, but to reply to your original question - I have heard of the book, it's had a lot of hype in the weight-loss community but I haven't heard of anyone whose life was changed because of it. Still seems like an interesting read

Lol me either, I had actually never heard of it until I saw it at a book store. But so far it is interesting and makes sense. I'm hoping to just better my eating out of it. I mainly got it for the food comparisons at restaurants and recipes in the back!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    LOL I'll have to look into the book.
    One of my co-workers is gorgeously healthy (I wouldn't say skinny because she has a nice shape for being a size 2-4. Yes, let's call this a case of body envy) and ALWAYS has a salad for lunch. Usually she tops hers off with fruit.
    I LOVE eating salads. I'm not a skinny chick though. I think topping make the salad for me. I CRAVE stuff like grilled chicken so I'd throw it on a salad along with egg whites, glazed walnuts, and basalmic vinigarette.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting and I've never eaten a salad in my life! Why do people think that's the ultimate go to health food?

because you can have a ton of lettuce for like next to nothing calories. (just a for instance look at subway a veggie delight salad can be around 270 calories no dressing.)

But it CAN be the ultimate health food if you put enough protein on it and don't have too much fatty dressing. I actually don't use dressing at all. I have salads nearly every day for lunch AND dinner. But I always put lots of protein on it, and I mix things up - sundried tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, dried cranberries, feta cheese...I love my salads and don't want to give them up!

This. I completely understand the mindset/schience behind the book, but I LOVE salads and eat them quite often. Chicken, steak, cheeses... all great protein sources. Mix up the veggies, or even add fruit, and you've got a complete, vitamin rich, filling meal for very low calories. I think the idea is, "skinny chics don't live on lettuce" :wink:
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Think I may download it this evening. Thanks for the recommendation :)
  • rachael823
    Options
    Not sure if any of you read this blog, but I love her posts on salad: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/tag/salad/

Her posts helped make salad fun for me again, not just the boring lettuce and a couple vegetables on top ideas.
  • Franzibear
    Franzibear Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love salads and it's part of why I lost weight and kept it off. Salad with lots of vegetables, simple grilled meat, and a small amount of dressing is fantastic. If loving raw veggies makes me fat, then I don't wanna be thin :P

This! I love salads too, minus the dressing.

Actually saying "salads are bad" is just as bad as saying "salads are the only way to lose weight". As usual, it depends on each individual and their view, as so many things do.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely have to check this out, I've been looking for a new book to read.

I've taken some nutrition classes and had a time period where I was really into it, and actually if you look at certain places eating a salad is just as bad or worse for you than eating a regular entree. A restaurant I used to work at had salads that were well over 2,000 calories and the worst items on the menu. I really enjoy salads which is why I eat them, but I definitely make sure I put a wide variety of vegetables and always add a protein on it.

The top things on a salad to avoid when eating out are croutons (another restaurant I used to work at the house salad was 170 calories becaues of the croutons, without them I think it was around...30 calories because it was just basic veggies and croutons), the dressing (sometimes your vinegarettes are just as bad or worse for you than a creamy dressing, also watch the sugars in low-fat dressings), and cheese/bacon. Also leave out asking for bread or rolls with it, once again where I used to work at our tiny little yeast rolls were 140 calories each and I would see women claim that they are dieting and be super picky about what they eat but down 4 with one salad...which made their meal an extra 560 calories, which is another added hour (at least) at the gym, or a meal.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Just ordered it--thank you for posting this!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Yes well aware of that. However an example I'll point out that's been adressed is many think salad=healthy in any circumstance. Nope sorry. I go to school with a girl on a diet yet she gets a salad everyday. Is there protein? Nope. What there is though is a ton of full fat cheese and heavy full fat and whatever else dressing. Has she lost weight? No. Sorry that doesn't make it quality health food. I hate salad and prefer to eat calorie dense, filling, satisfying food. My point is people trying to lose weight automatically think all they need to eat is salads and that's just not true.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of it, but I just realized that I seriously have only had like one salad as a meal since I have been close to my goal weight...unintentionally though, I love salad, skinny or not!
  • Anonymuzs
    Anonymuzs Posts: 1
    Options
    Does it tell you what skinny chicks eat? I am very interested to find out what they eat and know if they really exercise that much. I will get the book if its worth the read.
  • bonsaiblossom
    bonsaiblossom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Some people refer to me as "Skinny". but I actually love raw food and salad... I prefer it in the summer months. I don't see anything wrong with it. Yummy!!!
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to check this one out. Thanks