Looking for some advice

Options
Hello everyone! I'm very new to this site, but I have had experience with weight loss in the past. Back then as well as now, a huge problem for me is this: How can I successfully monitor my eating/calorie intake when I'm not the one preparing the food? As an example, yesterday I had stayed at my boyfriend's parents' house for dinner. I put a ballpark-estimate of the calories I ate for dinner in my food log, but I wish I could have a more specific way of knowing exactly the amount of calories I'm eating.
I'm doing fairly well so far with counting calories when I eat at home, but when I eat in social situations I feel like since I can't really measure what I'm eating, it's hard to control how much I eat, and then I end up over-eating.
I guess if anyone has any useful tips for dealing with eating in social situations, I'd really appreciate it! I like spending time with friends and family, so I'm going to have a lot of times where this is an issue. I realize the rest of the world doesn't stop for me and my weight loss efforts, but if anyone can relate or offer any advice that would be amazing!

Replies

• wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As for eating out, I will split my food with whoever I eat out with. If I am with someone who wants something different, I ask the waiter to box up 1/2 my meal before bringing it to the table.
    When I eat at friends for dinner, I use a smaller plate and watch my portions.
    Hope this has helped a little.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ask what they used, ask for the recipe :)
    ETA: When eating out, look on mfp before you go to see nutrition facts (if its a bigger name place) if its a local place ask them for nutritional info :)
  • shelliereneebug
    Options
    I run into the same problem. My family is a big social eating group and it is HARD to go over there and not want to over eat. I sat down and had a talk with myself (yes I am mentally stable - LOL) and we decided that I was not going to let food win! When I go out to eat or go to someone's house I drink lots of water before I go. It does make me feel fuller. I also have got in the habit of sitting my fork/spoon down after each bite while I chew. Helps me not eat to quick or shovel food. I feel this helps me stay fuller longer. Also, if you can give yourself portions just do smaller and amounts that you can estimate. I know that these things may not work for everyone's situation but I hope maybe it can help. Remember YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  • shelliereneebug
    Options
    I've been doing this at the grocery store. I love this app!!!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    its a skill you acquire over time! I tend to use worst case if I can't get enough info to feel confident. I'll add a little bit more butter or oil depending on how I feel it was prepared. Also, depending on the person that made it I know their tendencies.
  • Arleymlange
    Options
    Drink a large glass of water before you sit down to a meal. This will make you feel full before you eat, and then you will feel satisfied with smaller portions of whatever friends and family cook.

Also, bring a plate of cut-up raw veggies and low-fat dip as an appetizer or bring a garden salad with dressing of your choice (both for sharing), saying you wanted to show your appreciation for whoever is cooking and that you wanted to contribute to the meal. You avoid offending the cook, and you have plenty of veggies to fill up on.

If those don't work, you may have to start bringing all your own food claiming you have a recently diagnosed food allergy/sensitivity. No one can really say whether you do or not, so you wouldn't be offending the cook if you had to turn down something they made.
  • cerwin17
    cerwin17 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the tips! I will be putting these into practice the next time I find myself in one of these situations :)
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Portion control is going to be the most important thing here. Yes, you can ask for the recipe, but it's really easy to under-estimate the portion size. You will get better at this as long as you are consistently measuring (using a food scale, not eyeballing or just using measuring cups) and logging. If it something fattening- any dish with a lot of cream/ butter/ other fat/ mayo /sugar/ etc., try to eat only a very small portion. If you are unsure about the calories of the dish, go with the higher-calorie option from MFP to give yourself more of a buffer.