BMR/TDEE uh what?

Options
2»

Replies

• nikcasso
    nikcasso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just adjusted as well according to me TDEE and have bumped up calorie intake 1659. I have been stalled for almost a month. I also but the scale away for now. Body is changing for the good and was tired of being disappointed :)
  • spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Here's an additional question - does that mean you need to NET your BMR at least? Or just make sure to eat your BMR before exercise?
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Here's an additional question - does that mean you need to NET your BMR at least? Or just make sure to eat your BMR before exercise?

Yes, i suggest that you NET your BMR at least. We can take an obvious extreme example, to highlight the point: if you had a BMR of 1450 and targeted 1500 a day to eat... Then work out aggressively you can burn 1000 calories in the workout... That would leave only 500 calories to fuel your body - obviously not enough. While your body can and will draw on fat stores for energy in a deficit (that is our whole purpose of this) haing too severe a calorie deficit can cause you to have a higher % of your loss come from lost muscle and since muscle is metabolically active tissue we obviously want to retain that as much as possible.

Slow and steady wins this race.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    wait one more problem, im so sorry that i dont understand this stuff. be patient with me :) i changed the goals according to that scooby site and on MFP it says projected weight loss is only 0.2 pounds per week now when it was like 1.3 before when i was at about 1200 cals a day. whaaaaa

Ignore that - MFP tells me I will lose 0.1lb per week.

You need to remember that MFP does not include exercise, so when you use MFP method you eat 1200 + exercise cals.

What is teh difference between your TDEE-20% calculation, and the MFP 1200 + Exercise?
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    When I bumped my calories from MFP's recommended 1200 to Scooby's 1800, MFP said I'd lose 1lb in 5 weeks. I actually lost 18lbs! I've increased my calories to 2000 now as I'm now exercising every day. MFP says I'll put weight ON but I'm still losing!
  • hottfarmchick724
    Options
    ok im still confused? my bmr is 1752 and mfp has me eating only 1370. is this wrong? should i be eating more calories. when i signed up i put in that i wanted to loose 2 pounds a week... im ok loosing less as long as i still loose am i doing something wrong here? i havent seen any real lose since i started at the begining of the month so im wondering if im doing this wrong.. any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

ps. you can add me to!
  • kimberly2504
    kimberly2504 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think I'm finally understanding this but it still sort of makes me nervous...

According to both the "roadmap" links and the scooby site my BMR is 1760 and my TDEE is 2420. A 20% cut of that would be 1936. That is at lightly active.

MFP has me set up at 1650 calories to lose 1 pound/week or 1200 for 2 pounds a week (set at sedentary since it said not to account for scheduled workouts). I've been aiming to eat somewhere in between those two, but I've been averaging about 1500. That seems to be where I feel satisfied, have thrown some treats in, and have gotten good grains, vegetables, and fruits. I'm still a little low in protein and high in carbs (I have PCOS and have had insulin resistance problems in the past so I'm trying to watch these) but it's not for lack of trying. I'm not eating my excercise calories because I guess I don't feel like I'm doing that much, even though I work hard when I do, I'm just really out of shape still and can't do as much as a lot of you.

Isn't there a big difference between 1936 and 1500 or even 1650?

I've only been at it for a few weeks, but I've averaged about a pound a week, which is better than I've done in a long time with my PCOS. I don't feel like I'm starving myself or anything, but I'd love to be able to eat more and lose better...

Any suggestions on whether I should stay where I am for now since it is working somewhat, or move my calories up? You guys are all so smart, ha ha. Thanks!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

According to both the "roadmap" links and the scooby site my BMR is 1760 and my TDEE is 2420. A 20% cut of that would be 1936. That is at lightly active.

MFP has me set up at 1650 calories to lose 1 pound/week or 1200 for 2 pounds a week (set at sedentary since it said not to account for scheduled workouts). I've been aiming to eat somewhere in between those two, but I've been averaging about 1500. That seems to be where I feel satisfied, have thrown some treats in, and have gotten good grains, vegetables, and fruits. I'm still a little low in protein and high in carbs (I have PCOS and have had insulin resistance problems in the past so I'm trying to watch these) but it's not for lack of trying. I'm not eating my excercise calories because I guess I don't feel like I'm doing that much, even though I work hard when I do, I'm just really out of shape still and can't do as much as a lot of you.

I've only been at it for a few weeks, but I've averaged about a pound a week, which is better than I've done in a long time with my PCOS. I don't feel like I'm starving myself or anything, but I'd love to be able to eat more and lose better...

Any suggestions on whether I should stay where I am for now since it is working somewhat, or move my calories up? You guys are all so smart, ha ha. Thanks!

Yes there is a difference between 1900, and 1650, but don't forget that MFP doesn't actually give you 1650, it gives you 1650 PLUS exercise calories, whereas your TDEE calculation includes exercise.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Save yourself the trouble and just calculate your BMR, consider activity level to get your TDEE and consume 80% of that.

My example:
    Lean Body Mass: 143.78 x 12 = 1725 BMR
    1725 x 1.6 (Activity Level) = 2760 TDEE (What I need to eat each day to maintain active lifestyle)
    2760 x .80 = 2208 calories (What I need to eat to lower body fat)
  • AFitJamie
    Options

I'd also add that MFP is simply taking off 500 cals a day for a pound a week or 1000 a day for 2 pounds a week.... So MFP thinks that your sedentary TDEE is 2150 and takes 500 off for your daly target to lose 1 lb and would take you down to 1150 to lose 2 lb a week, but MFP will not drop anyone below 1200 calories....

If you are seeing success with the target of 1500 then you may be able to keep that working for you - if your BMR is actually 1760, you may want to be a bit closer to that number, but there are a lot of details needed before anyone can recommend a specific number for you - height weight age and gender at a minimum to get a better understanding of how your BMR number is being generated...

Hope this helps...
  • AFitJamie
    Options
    Save yourself the trouble and just calculate your BMR, consider activity level to get your TDEE and consume 80% of that.

My example:
    Lean Body Mass: 143.78 x 12 = 1725 BMR
    1725 x 1.6 (Activity Level) = 2760 TDEE (What I need to eat each day to maintain active lifestyle)
    2760 x .80 = 2208 calories (What I need to eat to lower body fat)

You say this calc as if everyone has accurate body fat % estimation available....

I know this can come off wrong and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how about suggesting people use the tools already posted to find their BMR/TDEE or suggest a simple one like fat2fit... This calc potentially create just another series of 'how do I determine' questions.... Just a thought....