Insanity vs 30 Day Shred

Options
nic632
nic632 Posts: 295 Member
I've read a lot of posts where Insanity is mentioned as part of people's workout routine. When reading reviews on both, they both say how good they are at getting results and that they're the 'must have' dvd. If you are already eating a healthy diet (therefore may not need the diet plan included with Insanity), from an exercise and results point of view, which do people prefer?

Replies

• sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think Insanity probably yields better results, but it's a longer program and not as beginner friendly.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They really can't be compared. You're comparing a beginner friendly program to something made exclusively for athletes.
  • tifanico
    tifanico Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did 30 minutes of the 30DS and I thought it was not as challenging. I play tennis and my fitness level is not that bad. I switched to Insanity over a week ago and I'm happy I did. I feel like I'm about to die each workout and Im already seeing some results. I feel like I get more bang for the buck in terms of time invested.

If you are looking to start with fitness, then do the 30DS first.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I did 30 minutes of the 30DS and I thought it was not as challenging. I play tennis and my fitness level is not that bad. I switched to Insanity over a week ago and I'm happy I did. I feel like I'm about to die each workout and Im already seeing some results. I feel like I get more bang for the buck in terms of time invested.

If you are looking to start with fitness, then do the 30DS first.

This. 30DS really is a beginner program. There are ways of modifying it to suit higher fitness levels, but the type of workouts you do in this (and most Jillian programs) isn't really challenging enough for someone who is actually capable of completing a full round of Insanity. They're two completely different programs aimed at two completely different fitness levels.

One thing to bear in mind also is that Insanity is based on real athletic training while 30DS is more or less based on circuit training workouts that alter your body composition (burn fat, improve muscle tone) without necessarily improving athletic performance. It's aimed at women whose main driving motivation is to look better in a bikini. Not complete a 5k, not improve their strength, not improve their sport performance, just look better in that bikini.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think the other thing is who can you stand......The Insanity dude or Jillian M? I can't stand either one of them. ;) Doing the insanity work outs make me want to stab the TV, that guy is so annoying!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I haven't done 30 DS.. I am doing Insanity =) I needed some sort of structured work out plan.. This is only my 2nd week starting today, so I haven't really seen too many results yet. =p
    http://healthysexyhappy.tumblr.com/moveyourassnow
    Go look there and preview some of the workouts =)
    I am loving Insanity.. it is really hard but I can tell some of the exercises are getting a little bit easier.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think the other thing is who can you stand......The Insanity dude or Jillian M? I can't stand either one of them. ;) Doing the insanity work outs make me want to stab the TV, that guy is so annoying!

LOL! I can understand this. Jilliam makes me feel the same way. Also, the way I look at it, if the people in the video aren't dying by the time it's all said and done, it's not hard enough for me.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just started 30ds and i love it! i am not physically fit so i am going to do that first for two months in a row then i am going to try insanity! definitely going to work myself into it!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I find pretty much everyone who leads a video workout to be unbearable and annoying, so I make up my own or if I'm doing something structured I get things that come in PDF files like Athlean X.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I've done 30DS & I'm on day 3 of Insanity. I would suggest Insanity becuase its more high impact. The sessions are longer, but you burn more calories. I think that I will get a better result with this program; although, 30DS & RI30 are great dvd's to have in your collection.

ETA: Regardless of which video you choose you will HATE both Jillian & Shawn T at the end of the session!
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I like Insanity a lot better. After 5 days of 30DS, I was bored and sore. Insanity rotates the dvds so it isn't the same thing every single day.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I've done 30DS & I'm on day 3 of Insanity. I would suggest Insanity becuase its more high impact. The sessions are longer, but you burn more calories. I think that I will get a better result with this program; although, 30DS & RI30 are great dvd's to have in your collection.

High impact is not necessarily a good thing. Your knees while agree with me, here.
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 day shred and i feel like im dying. But then again I'm the size of a cruise ship and haven't exercised in about 4 years. I would love to work up to doing insanity. I know many friends who have done insanity and have gotten some great results. Jillian Michaels drives me nuts, so instead of listening to her, I now have some music up loud in the back ground. That way I can still hear her slightly, but my music is what keeps me going. They are definitely two totally different workouts.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options

How dare you. :) Shaun T is awesome. Insanity rocks.
  • barthd
    barthd Posts: 4
    Options
    I have just started insanity. Im on day 8... and it is already showing signs of working. It is Insane though!!!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options

High impact is not necessarily a good thing. Your knees while agree with me, here.

My knees are fine.. Haven't had a problem in the year I've been doing this. Good shoes/support are key :drinker:
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I agree, I want to stab Jillian (does working out increase violent tendencies?) I really wish they'd done a sound track with just the music and not the talking so I can get a beat with out feeling the need to beat her :bigsmile:
  • stowesb
    stowesb Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree that insanity is more for people who are already in shape, I have done both. I am starting back with 30DS today because it is only 20 minutes and I saw results with it. I get bored easy so after 30 days I will switch back to insanity and start all over :)
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Insanity will yield better results, but 30DS is better for beginners. Plus, Insanity is longer too.
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like Insanity a lot better. After 5 days of 30DS, I was bored and sore. Insanity rotates the dvds so it isn't the same thing every single day.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who got bored with 30 DS. I was so excited when I began it, but after a few days, I turned it off because I was so bored, and then went out for a jog instead. I haven't turned the DVD back on. Plus, it's a bit hard to do with a one year old. I'm thinking of switching to Insanity. - Not that it will be ANY easier with the one year old!