Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

Options
13»

Replies

• Reana27
    Reana27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This book has been sitting on my night stand for about a month since I bought it in the markdown section at Barnes and Noble. Guess I need to open it up and start reading huh? :wink:
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'll check it out! I hate the salad hype!
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have both books (Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food is her second book) They're very good and very realistic. Changing the way that you think about food is the first step to eating healthy. I love that she dubunks the whole "free range" thing in her second book (basically, the rule on some of those labels are pretty lax and that can just mean that the chickens could walk outside on a cement patio for an hour a day)
  • lunamare
    Options
    Some people refer to me as "Skinny". but I actually love raw food and salad... I prefer it in the summer months. I don't see anything wrong with it. Yummy!!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Raw food. It's actually really good for you. The idea is that people eat salads and then think it gives them a free pass to eat other bad things afterwards, or, they eat a salad and aren't full or don't get the right nutrition and then they binge.

She focuses on eating carbs with protein every few hours to keep your blood sugar level. The title's odd but the book is good.
  • lunamare
    Options
    That's crazy. When I go to Cheesecake Factory I usually get there Cobb Salad. I guess I won't do that no more.

http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/cheesecake-factory/cobb-salad
  • ahyland1
    ahyland1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just ordered it for my Kindle - I'm going to start reading it! :)
  • saraelizabethhinkle
    saraelizabethhinkle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this book! So excited to read it :D
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I love salad. I brought in tuna salad today!
  • JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sounds very similar to the book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole & Elsye Resch. Which is an absoloutely fabulous book written by Dietitians. Would HIGHLY recommend reading this book also. I might check into this skinny chick book as well! Thanks for the tip.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    But.... I LIKE salad!!:frown:

I do too, lol it's not saying you have to give up salad. Obviously salad is good for you until you go to a restaurant and it's topped with breaded chicken, croutons, cripsy tortilla chips and stuff like that. And in the book she talks about how salads are good but NOT when they're made like that. You're ebtter off making them for yourself with oil and vinegar. Not a fatty dressing.

BUT most "dieters" get caught up in eating only salads to lose weight when #1, they don't really like them, and #2, don't know that salads CAN be very unhealthy (the caesar salad at Cheesecake Factory is over 1600 calories!). So people should eat what they enjoy and make sure it is hearty and healthy and something they WANT to eat. If not, it leads to binge eating and unstable levels in blood sugar which is what makes those of us "sweet tooths" crave sugar and things we should have in moderation. :smile:

Agree! I love a good salad, but I don't want to eat them every day. I believe some folks feel like they have to gobble down tons of salads to get or keep their weight down, but that is not true.
  • msjamartin
    msjamartin Posts: 148
    Options
    If I have to got to the Cheesecake Factory (because others choose the restaurant) I always read the nutitional menu for my selection. They have a "healthier" section now that is still higher than I like but I usually end up with something from those options or I 1/2 one of the better entrees right from the start. I also 1/2 any cheesecake I may splurge on with someone else at the table. I enjoy a bite or two but never a whole slice. Just isn't worth it.
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    This!
    Me neither...

On the other hand, no wonder I'm not skinny because I love salads hehehehe
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    its not the salads so much as it is the dressing on the salads things we put on like cheese, lunch meat really pack the calories. I love salad but I do eat meat, veggies, fruit etc
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    Some people refer to me as "Skinny". but I actually love raw food and salad... I prefer it in the summer months. I don't see anything wrong with it. Yummy!!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Raw food. It's actually really good for you. The idea is that people eat salads and then think it gives them a free pass to eat other bad things afterwards, or, they eat a salad and aren't full or don't get the right nutrition and then they binge.

She focuses on eating carbs with protein every few hours to keep your blood sugar level. The title's odd but the book is good.

This! Exactly, thanks for this. People are getting too caught up in the literal meaning of the title lol.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    will read later x
  • krystyleee
    Options
    its not the salads so much as it is the dressing on the salads things we put on like cheese, lunch meat really pack the calories. I love salad but I do eat meat, veggies, fruit etc

Correct, but that is the problem. To many unknowledgable "dieters" salad IS lettuce WITH dressing and croutons and the works. If you have healtyh salad all dya everyday and you like it and are losing weight, this book obviously doesn't apply to you. It's more just people who are trying to eat healthy but don't know where to start and don't know that salads CAN be unhealthy. It also gives alternatives to those who don't LOVE salads. So if you do, and it works, that's GREAT! You probably don't need the book then :smile:
  • krystyleee
    Options
    If I have to got to the Cheesecake Factory (because others choose the restaurant) I always read the nutitional menu for my selection. They have a "healthier" section now that is still higher than I like but I usually end up with something from those options or I 1/2 one of the better entrees right from the start. I also 1/2 any cheesecake I may splurge on with someone else at the table. I enjoy a bite or two but never a whole slice. Just isn't worth it.

Lol, this! I know the cheesecake is SOOOO bad, I never have a whole slice either lol.
  • krystyleee
    Options
    But.... I LIKE salad!!:frown:

I do too, lol it's not saying you have to give up salad. Obviously salad is good for you until you go to a restaurant and it's topped with breaded chicken, croutons, cripsy tortilla chips and stuff like that. And in the book she talks about how salads are good but NOT when they're made like that. You're ebtter off making them for yourself with oil and vinegar. Not a fatty dressing.

BUT most "dieters" get caught up in eating only salads to lose weight when #1, they don't really like them, and #2, don't know that salads CAN be very unhealthy (the caesar salad at Cheesecake Factory is over 1600 calories!). So people should eat what they enjoy and make sure it is hearty and healthy and something they WANT to eat. If not, it leads to binge eating and unstable levels in blood sugar which is what makes those of us "sweet tooths" crave sugar and things we should have in moderation. :smile:

Agree! I love a good salad, but I don't want to eat them every day. I believe some folks feel like they have to gobble down tons of salads to get or keep their weight down, but that is not true.

This ^^
  • krystyleee
    Options
    Sounds very similar to the book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole & Elsye Resch. Which is an absoloutely fabulous book written by Dietitians. Would HIGHLY recommend reading this book also. I might check into this skinny chick book as well! Thanks for the tip.

Lol maybe I should have chosen a book with a title like this. But I will look into this one as well! Thanks!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting and I've never eaten a salad in my life! Why do people think that's the ultimate go to health food?
    Too bad your diary is closed so we can't see what you eat. It may help some of us. You look great.