cafeteria food where i work.

Options
Tgooge123
Tgooge123 Posts: 20 Member
So where I teach, we are required to eat what is being served. I can't bring anything in the building. I could ask for child's portion, drink tons of water and chew gum. Anyone else have same problem. If so how-to you deal with.

Replies

• swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to eat the cafeteria food? That's terrible! Can you bring healthy snacks to sneak in during the day so you can eat much less of their lunch?
  • nelsoji
    nelsoji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Why won't they let you bring anything in? That doesn't make sense? Do you mean they just don't have refrigerators available for you or what? How do they know if you "snuck in" a few protein bars or something?
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Where do you work? That doesn't make any sense. What if you had a food allergy?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    How can you be forced to eat their food? That seems odd that a grown adult isn't allowed to make their own food choices.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    Seems like you should be able to fight that policy.

But if you don't care to fight the policy; eat WELL and hearty before you go to work. Use their cafe food as a snack and not a meal then resume your healthy eating once you're off. Im aware this easier to do if you don't work shift work of 12+ hrs. Wish you luck
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Wow that sucks! You can't even bring in healthy snacks?

What type of foods do they carry on their menu? Hopefully your place of employment offers some healthy selections?? Fresh fruits, veggies, yogurt, salad, turkey/tuna sandwiches????? If not I would lobby a complaint if it's all just burgers and fries.
  • Tgooge123
    Tgooge123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately yes I have to eat the food.. if caught sneaking food , we get written up. The idea is to set an example for the little ones.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wow! I hope you and the children are offered healthy choices!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Where do you work??!!:noway:
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I get it, but wouldn't eating healthy be a good example! Sounds like a money grab... and a little like prison!
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Options
    I call BS, They can have you not eat infront of the children but can not tell you have to eat the same food as the kids. What kind of "school" is this
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Is that in your contract? That's absolutely ridiculous! What kinds of school do you work at? Do they require every single student to eat the school lunch, too? I've never heard of a school that requires anyone (students or teachers) to eat what is served in the cafeteria! Everyone has a choice to bring their own lunch.

This sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen!
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ask for a kid portion unless it's something healthy like grilled chicken etc. stock up on proteins and when you have a break maybe you can go out to your car and grab a hard boiled egg from your cooler, a Protein drink (I like the EAS strawberry found at walmart four for four dollars) OR some celery sticks w/ pb. Just a suggestion! :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Still doesn't make ANY sense
  • minussam
    minussam Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    advocate for healthier choices for everyone???
    This must be hard. I get the idea behind it but still.
    It might just be easier to get them to change the menu or at least add veggies/salad/fruit than to get them to change their policy
    Good luck!
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    maybe it is a food safety issue with bringing in outside food?

I guess you either figure out what is healthy in the meal being served or learn how to make it through. There must be at least a bit of healthy stuff there. possible you can make your meals before and after work. Then you just have their stuff as a snack. I am sure they don't make you clean your plate there at least. Just an idea.
  • TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do they require every single student to eat the school lunch, too? I've never heard of a school that requires anyone (students or teachers) to eat what is served in the cafeteria! Everyone has a choice to bring their own lunch.

That is a good question....
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Unfortunately yes I have to eat the food.. if caught sneaking food , we get written up. The idea is to set an example for the little ones.

I'd fight.. =/ That is crazy! What if you are allergic?? I'm guessing you work in a school? I'd talk to who ever is in charge...I had to eat cafeteria food in high school when I was trying to lose weight =( Hated it.. chicken sandwich, and fries... =| Ew. Honestly.. something needs to change with schools lunchs. That stuff is NOT healthy in the slightest little bit.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Find other teachers and staff members that do not like this policy and lobby for a change! Bad rules need to be changed and that change has to start somewhere!

Or you could lobby for healthier lunches for everyone. When I was in high school we had an amazing salad bar. I ate that EVERY day when I had lunch there.
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are the students permitted to brown bag it? I've never heard of a school that forces you to eat their meals, especially if you have to pay fo them - that is a stupid policy. If you have special dietary needs then they have to accomodate you or face legal consequences