Hit a wall, need help!!

Options
I am fairly new to MyFittnessPal, but I need friends that can help me! I started dieting in October of last year and have lost 80# so far. I am within 10# of my goal, but just can't seem to make it. I go down a couple of pounds and then back up a couple. I have been playing with pounds for a month or so!! On the good side, I am not just going up!! Please give me some advise on how to break through this wall, thanks!! Sue K.

Replies

• jlmjsmgms
    jlmjsmgms Posts: 1
    Options
    8 lbs or 80 lbs?? Because you say 80 while the ticker thing says 8. You didn't mention exercise... are you? Sounds like your body needs a jolt. You can do that with exercise.
  • ginablanton67
    Options
    Hi Sue...I felt like I had hit a wall too but once I looked at my reports - each individual one over a 30 day period....it gave me some ideas on things I could do to help me bust through my wall....AND it helped me to see that although I was gaining and losing all month long....over all I maintained a good balanced weight loss and lost inches....so it helped me see the big picture....I myself cannot visually see any difference yet...but I am hoping to by the end of this month....and if I lost another 6 pounds this months....I will be happy with that progress and just focus on the next six pounds next month......nutrition wise....I was able to see that for me...I could make some small changes in lower sugar, sodium and lower fat foods...even though I am eating healthy....those small changes could be just the kick the wall needs to break.....who knows.....hope this was helpful....good luck on your journey! You got this!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Ha ..... those pesky last 10 or 15 pounds ..... like chipping away at marble with a toothpick ...... the only time I lost more than a few ounces was when I was sick, and I don't recommend doing it that way LOL

All kidding aside, I've lost a few more pounds since joining here in May, because I am REALLY calorie-counting & using more portion control. Also cut back a LITTLE on grains & dairy ....... but that's because the weather's been hot & we aren't cooking much ..... hubby grills meat & veggies ..... I make a salad with rice wine vinegar only ...... some fruit for dessert ..... that's plenty on a hot, muggy day !

Just keep plugging away ...... because we NEVER give up :drinker:
  • SueKnapp
    SueKnapp Posts: 8
    Options
    I have lost a total of 80 pounds BEFORE I joined. You are right, only 8 pounds since I joined. I ride my bike 5-8 miles per day and garden and do yard work a lot! I do watch portion sizes and am going to start yoga and kettlebell exercises for strengthening. It just gets so discouraging that if I miss even one day of exercise I will gain a pound or two. My brain tells me it is probably only water weight, but I so want to reach my goal....I will just keep plugging along and maybe up my exercise a bit, too! Thanks everyone for the support!
  • kungfuguy45
    Options
    Exercise more and eat less!
  • whamann1
    whamann1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Please be patient with the amazing body you have been blessed with. 80 is a huge amount of wieght to loose in less than a year. Everything inside needs to adjust. Your liver, heart, hormones, everything, have a completely different life now. They love the change but even good change takes some getting used to. Be kind and patient with yourself. Your body knows what its perfect wieght is and it will get there at the perfect time as you continue to right by it. Take a deep and give yourself (and your kidneys! :flowerforyou: ) a big hug!
  • whamann1
    whamann1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sorry for thet typos... thatwas supposed to say "take a deep breath"
  • xcption
    xcption Posts: 4
    Options
    That's how it goes. It IS water weight usually, day to day weighing in can stress you out (I know, because I do it! Haha)!! Each and every time I hit a wall, I just didn't give up and I did something to shock my body! For instance, I'd still maintain my 1200 calories a day (consumed), but I would up my hiking (my exercise of choice) from 5 miles to 10 in a day. It would break it up. One time I stopped all hiking/exercise for a couple of weeks in frustration and 10lbs melted away. I guess it was muscle weight? Not sure, but it can't hurt to try either option! Pick one, maintain your calories and see how your body reacts. It no doubt just needs a change. GOOD LUCK!