BMR and MFP recommendation- Is this right?

Options
I know this has been gone over soooooooo many times before, but I just want to make sure that I'm clear as I'm only 4 weeks in and stalling.

I went to at least 10 different BMR calculators and came up with an average of 1605 calories. I'm thinking that I should not eat less than this (which has been repeated when this topic has come up previously).

Taking in my activity level (I'll say light-moderate since I work a desk job, but still exercise 3-5 times a week) 1605 x 1.4= 2247 calories per day to maintain my current weight (bad idea).

If I want to lose 2lbs per week (BMI is over 30, so this is fine) I take a 1000 calorie deficit.

This puts my intake at 1247 calories per day. This is 358 calories less than my BMR.

However, if I only take a 500 calorie deficit then it puts me at 1747 calories/day, which puts me back in the safe zone. However, in theory would not produce quite the same results. But! If I am currently not eating enough, then it might produce better results.

I currently have my daily goal set at 1200 by going through the MFP recommendation. However, once I start losing more weight, I should be decreasing my calories/day. I'm already at the bottom limit so that won't be possible and my weight loss will stall even more than it already has (last week was only .5lb).

Can I get some input?

Basic info:
Female
Height: 5'2
Weight: 183
Body fat (estimate from Runner's World): 28%

Replies

• BabyGrlRae
    BabyGrlRae Posts: 10
    Options
    I know this has been gone over soooooooo many times before, but I just want to make sure that I'm clear as I'm only 4 weeks in and stalling.

I went to at least 10 different BMR calculators and came up with an average of 1605 calories. I'm thinking that I should not eat less than this (which has been repeated when this topic has come up previously).

Taking in my activity level (I'll say light-moderate since I work a desk job, but still exercise 3-5 times a week) 1605 x 1.4= 2247 calories per day to maintain my current weight (bad idea).

If I want to lose 2lbs per week (BMI is over 30, so this is fine) I take a 1000 calorie deficit.

This puts my intake at 1247 calories per day. This is 358 calories less than my BMR.

However, if I only take a 500 calorie deficit then it puts me at 1747 calories/day, which puts me back in the safe zone. However, in theory would not produce quite the same results. But! If I am currently not eating enough, then it might produce better results.

I currently have my daily goal set at 1200 by going through the MFP recommendation. However, once I start losing more weight, I should be decreasing my calories/day. I'm already at the bottom limit so that won't be possible and my weight loss will stall even more than it already has (last week was only .5lb).

Can I get some input?

Basic info:
    Female
    Height: 5'2
    Weight: 183
    Body fat (estimate from Runner's World): 28%
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Rae!

If someone doesn't chime in soon you can message Songbyrdsweet at this site...she's formally educated in this field and also a trainer.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    IMHO, at your body fat % (not that bad), and height and weight and age, I would say that the 1 lb a week is more for you. Since you are relatively active, and working out, you probably won't be able to sustain 2 lbs a week anyway, and 1 lb a week is not only more reasonable but it's also a little easier. 2 lbs a week is tough. Here is an article that I wrote that might help explain some things.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know the answer. But I hope yours will be posted, because I learn from this stuff :happy:
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    im not sure, but what i thought and have been going by is that bmr is how much you need to eat a day to maintain, not to lose. also, working out is not included in your lifestyle, so a desk job is sedentary. don't worry about not eating enough in eating 1247 because a difference of 358 calories isnt going to damage you. if i was you i would keep in mind that i can afford to eat 1604 and not feel bad eating more than what myfitnesspal is suggesting, regularly, but when you work out if gives you those extra calories anyway..im at the same body fat as you and get 1200 calories a day but im 5'6" 154, ..idk if that would make me need more or less calories but we're at the same according to this... but im comfortable with the 1200 when i eat often, so try that to keep up your energy level instead of eating extra cals. hope it helps!