How "bad" is bread for reals?

Options

Replies

• sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Carbs are not evil lol. I've done the whole no carbs thing and yea, you lose weight but the second you start eating them again BOOM! It's back lol. I've tried every diet out there and it's taken me 10 years to realize that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to just eat healthy and everything in moderation.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING in MODERATION. That includes bread. I eat it once in awhile but not like I used to. You can eat anything you want as long as you dont overdo it.
  • takechances
    Options
    it's not bad, just the same as a 1/2 cup ice cream at about 200-250cals isn't bad either if it fits into your macros (it's good for your spirtual diet :smile: )

Thats "expensive" bread, the stuff I eat is 50 calories a slice?

Exactly! Isn't it weird that the good bread you're supposed to eat is more expensive and twice the calories?
  • Kim2getoffmeds
    Options
    Homemade bread is great, especially of you use other flours than just white wheat - like wholegrain wheat, almond, rice, potato, rye flours etc.

Being diabetic, I make a low GI Rye loaf with seeds (caraway, sunflower, linseed etc.) that is really good for me - so I make space in my allowance to have a couple of small slices for breakfast ... yum!

Really, labeling food groups/types as 'good' or 'bad' is not a positive move - it's how one prepares and uses a food that counts - and if you're not losing weight - tweak the quantities, or do more exercise!

Enjoy your journey to your goal weight ...
  • ginnyz1
    ginnyz1 Posts: 49
    Options
    You're making it at home, so you are in control of your ingredients. No artifical flavors, colors or preservatives. Whole wheat brad like that sounds awesome. Enjoy it!! :flowerforyou:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was into baking and eating tons of bread. Not good...

Bread isn't bad, but due to its caloric and carb density, it's way too easy to blow your calorie and carb goal, unless you only eat the smallest amounts of it. If you can keep within them, then more power to you.

Most days, I have about two slices of bread. Perhaps a bun with dinner.
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of really healthy breads out there. Eat it, count it, and be done with it!
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I :heart: bread
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think bread is delicious.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    OOO I love making bread from scratch, i never use the bread machine that my MIL got me for my birthday one year.
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I eat bread every day, between 2 and four slices but have changed from white bread to whole wheat nimble (the small squares of bread) I am working on eating more veg etc but I very rarely even meet my carbs macros... I am still new to this so still learning but I won't feel bad anymore :D Thanks!! (Also as a side note, I've mostly swapped butter for philly extra light because it's less calories.. I'm assuming thus better for you)
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with putting some turkey and low cal sauce on 2 slice of (actual true) whole wheat bread? Nothing!
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't get why all the hating on bread. I have two slices of bread pretty much every day (and a bowl of oatmeal) and I'm still losing weight. Its all in moderation!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Log it and make a decision if it fits into your macros. Portions, nutritional goals, healthy decisions. If you decide it fits then enjoy!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love bread too! I just fit it into my daily goals. I eat toast with BUTTER :love: almost every day with my eggs - gotta have it. I usually eat whole wheat or sourdough, for toast, sandwiches, and pre-run snacks (with almond butter & sliced banana - yum!). For sandwiches I usually eat one slice, cut it in half and load it up with a full sandwich portion of lunchmeat, tuna or whatever.

It's workin' for me!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't increase cravings and hunger, lucky you, enjoy your bread. A few weeks ago, I cut all of it out of my diet and I have less trouble with the cravings and hunger now, so for me, as of right now, bread=bad. That could change in the future, either in Winter when I start working out hard again, or just randomly, who knows? If so, I'll readjust. People need to find what works best for them, and be ready to change it if it stops working.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on whether or not you believe a "calorie is a calorie". Personally, I do not, and based on my own research (and further supported by my own n=1), I believe grain consumption is most likely not a good thing for most people long-term.

I realize this will irritate the "all things in moderation" people (and the "I could never give up my bread" people)...but that's okay...I don't aspire to get along with everyone anyhow.
  • emilyrthompson
    Options
    I don't think bread is necessarily bad for people to eat, but I do think cutting it out for maximum weight loss is not a bad idea. As of last week, I cut it out, I am still eating carbs, just not so many. It also has shown me how much bread I was actually eating. I love bread, who doesnt?! I think that each person needs to try different things to see what works for them. I am hypoglycemic, and I know that I have a difficult time digesting/processessing sugars and starches. Since cutting out bread last week, I have lost 5 pounds. More than I have lost since I have been on this site steadily. I am going to continue to do this. I don't plan on cutting out bread forever, but I am going to make a more conciencous effort to have minimum amounts. The hard thing to swallow is that I really need to do that for the rest of my life....eeekkk!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Break it down for me, people. How "bad" is making a loaf of bread and having a couple of slices in the morning with my eggs?

Bread is awful, terrible, the absolute worst thing you can eat. Therefore, I'll save you from yourself, and take all your home made bread off your hands.

When and where do we meet?
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I remember loving bread! I remember eating it everyday, I loved the whole grain stuff with nuts and seeds in it. I also remember being fat!!!

Not saying it was all bread that did it, I've definitely made a few more changes to my lifestyle than that. But I did stop eating bread and I reeeally do not miss it at all. It kinda grosses me out now, actually. I still do enjoy the smell of bread baking, however!

The problem for me was with the carbs. The low-carb thing seems to be what my body responds to. Since I seriously cut back on carbs I've lost nearly 30 lbs in just over 2 months, I feel great, and I've hit brand new lows on the scale AND measuring tape! So these things to me are much better than a slice or two of bread each day.