Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
I was thinking of starting to take meal replacement shakes in the morning for breakfast, I generally don't like to eat breakfast but I'm always hungry in the morning and would like to have something to fill the space between breakfast and lunch. Or when I do eat breakfast it's usally something unhealthy and quick. Are there any for weightloss anyone would recomend?

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat breakfast. Nothing in the world can replace the goodness of a nutritious, whole foods meal.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree that an actual breakfast is key. I however keep some slim fast in stock for when I'm on the run and just can't break away for lunch/breakfast. These new ones have 20g of protein and 2g of sugar. I'm sure there are better ones out there though. Good luck finding something you like.
  • beckyschanging
    beckyschanging Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the always loved the Slim Fast chocolate ones. One of my favorite Bfasts is a choco SF blended in my bullet blender with a few ice cubes and a whole banana or other available fruit. If I use frozen fruit I don't need the ice cubes. It's loud to make but fast and yummy. It's a little like chocolate fondue, but for breakfast!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Are there any for weightloss anyone would recomend?

There is no shake for weightloss just as there is no food for weightloss. Eat (or drink) at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat breakfast on the weekends, in the mornings I have very little time to make myself a breakfast, sit and eat it, I've seen people say hard boiled eggs are easy on the go but people around me will thank me if I don't go that route (haha). Any suggestions will help, my log should be open to anyone to see. If not let me know and I'll try to figure out how to make it so.
  • SLB23
    SLB23 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just posted something similar. I just started slim fast, because i have the same problem i go for whats quick and easy and its usually unhealthy i really enjoy the slim fast french vanilla and add a bananna to it. I'm just not sure if its going to help me in the long run!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    A meal replacement shake is no replacement for real food. If you turn it into a regular routine, you're going to eventually suffer from doing so.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat breakfast on the weekends, in the mornings I have very little time to make myself a breakfast, sit and eat it, I've seen people say hard boiled eggs are easy on the go but people around me will thank me if I don't go that route (haha). Any suggestions will help, my log should be open to anyone to see. If not let me know and I'll try to figure out how to make it so.

Okay, easy fast breakfast:

A slice of whole wheat toast with PB, a piece of fruit, and a glass of milk/water with protein powder.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I agree that an actual breakfast is key. I however keep some slim fast in stock for when I'm on the run and just can't break away for lunch/breakfast. These new ones have 20g of protein and 2g of sugar. I'm sure there are better ones out there though. Good luck finding something you like.
    Yes the old ones are too high in sugar and carbs. I personally think a protein shake for breakfast is ok for the person who never ate breakfast but is trying to incorporate something into their diet.
  • beach_floatie
    Options
    I make an Herbalife shake every weekday morning for breakfast and I don't get hungry until about 11:00, which is my lunch break anyway. I love them!
  • fivehartbeats
    fivehartbeats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take Nutrimed meal replacement shakes. They are very filling, and have the right amount of nutrients.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have friends who lost weight drinking Shakeology in the morning. they aren't breakfast people but knew if they wanted to lose weight they had to. So they went half on a 30 day supply on Shakeology shakes and lost. They have lots of nutrients that we need on a daily basis. teambeachbody.com
  • MaraBunny
    MaraBunny Posts: 6
    Options
    I like the Special K protein shakes for breakfast because they're quick and I can store them at work. I don't usually have time to stop or cook breakfast.

I've changed my breakfast's though lately to an Uncrustable (210 calories) and I can take it from the freezer and by the time I get to work I have a quick PB&J to nibble. Or I like the Bob Evan's sausage gravy stuffed biscuit (270 calories). I can heat it up at work and its small but filling.

That is a typical day for me, but find something you like. Plan ahead so you can grab and go in the morning and not have to pick something unhealthy.
  • Kioko1973
    Kioko1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't always have time or the appetite for a cooked breakfast and will make a smoothie instead. I like making my own because I control the ingredients. Here is one I make regularly: banana, strawberry, blueberry, psyllium (sp) husk, barley grass powder, whey isolate protein or hemp protein, almond milk, and ice. I'm going to try adding steel cut oats to my next am smoothie. I've never been a fan of slim fast because they upset my stomach.

No time to make a smoothie grab some trail mix (nuts, berries and seeds) with a glass of almond milk or bottle of water.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Meals are for eating, not replacing.
  • dtdam
    dtdam Posts: 20
    Options
    I have 3 kids to get ready and out the door in the morning as well as a husband and myself. I am a huge fan of protein bars during the week. I take one day (low in sugar, high in protein) to work with me. Its quick and can go on the run with me with low calories.
  • SuzQFl
    SuzQFl Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink MRS alot because I'm always on the go and they are fast, convenient and filling. I had a personal trainer advise not to drink some of the Slim Fast ones because of the sugar/carb content. I have also done Optifast (through an MD), used the ones from Medi-Weightloss Clinics (order online) mixed w/peanut butter protein powder) and NewLifeStyleDiet.com also has good RTD protein ones now. I get a cheesecake protein pudding from them that I'm addicted to. They also have some easy microwavable omelet/egg type meal replacements as well which are handy and don't taste to bad with some ketchup or salt for a breakfast thing.
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life Beyond Organic Raw Meal Replacement Formula. It is super nutritious, made from whole foods, and pleasant tasting. Good luck on your search!

:smile:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have friends who lost weight drinking Shakeology in the morning. they aren't breakfast people but knew if they wanted to lose weight they had to. So they went half on a 30 day supply on Shakeology shakes and lost. They have lots of nutrients that we need on a daily basis. teambeachbody.com

Shakeology is $140 a month. It may have vitamins and minerals, but they completely jack their prices up so in turn the coaches can win expensive cars and vacations by selling enough. If you want a shake, go to GNC or some place (I get MOMs organic whey) and get a container of whey for $20-40 and make your own shakes for a fraction of the cost.
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't use those fake food powders/shakes! Blend the following ingredients in your blender

- ff greek or regular yogurt
    - almond/skim/soy milk
    - frozen or fresh fruit
    - a handful of spinach (you CANNOT taste it, I promise you

That is a nutritious breakfast smoothie made with all whole foods, no need for expensive protein powders or meal replacements. Add a tbsp of honey if you like it sweet. If you are in a rush in the mornings, put everything in the blender, in the fridge before bed. When you wake up, blend.