Thoughts On Fitbit Ultra Tracker?

Options

Replies

• lwlock
    lwlock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To those who have one - do you have any issue with it recording time spent in the car as steps walked? I read reviews on this product and a few people have commented on this and it has put me off getting one. Any comments are gratefully received!

If you go the the Fitbit site, you can log activities to help account for this. You put in the time you started and the total time traveled and it will make an adjustment for you. It took me a trip from IN to FL to figure that out!
  • Ajmead
    Ajmead Posts: 56
    Options
    I love my little Fitbit, never leave home without it. You get to earn badges, make new friends. Check out the website :)
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    To those who have one - do you have any issue with it recording time spent in the car as steps walked? I read reviews on this product and a few people have commented on this and it has put me off getting one. Any comments are gratefully received!

I've never had a problem with it in the car, it has never counted it as steps walked.

I love my fitbit!!!!!!!! I've had it for a couple months and have worn it everyday! Gives me motivation to meet daily goals and lots of data to geek out on....I
    me neither i wear it on my bra & no step count from driving
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I've had mine for a few months and no issues at all!

To the OP I have both the fitbit and the polar ft4. I will admint that I was shocked on how close the calories burn are after I work out with my trainer. The only time the FB is not on me is when I'm in the shower. I don't go anywhere without it. Plus I enjoy having the extra calories to eat. :bigsmile:
  • danijo24
    danijo24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I think it's a great motivator and it's fun to look at the charts it creates for you. The $99 was well worth the money!
  • AngieBil
    AngieBil Posts: 28
    Options
    My Fiancee and I both have one and we love it! We wear it all the time and have even a friendly competition going on who can walk more. It is really a great device and the MFP syncs with it. The food as well not just the daily calorie adjustment. I also bought the scale that they make that syncs with your account. I love it! It has been a little depressing seeing the body fat % and the weight but it is really motivating. I highly recommend it! It is totally worth the money because it is so accurate. I have had other pedometers but they just don't measure up. I also love that you can have friends on it as well so that you can see how much you walk compared to others and encourage each other to walk more. :smile:

I agree, I also got the scale and I love that it automatically syncs to my computer. And I won't say I love the Body Fat, but it's motivating me to get moving when I see it... in other words, it's doing it job for me! lol
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've been reasearching different heart rate monitors and I am torn between the fitbit and the polar FT4 myself. I checked out the fitbit at Best buy and one thing that worried me....it's tiny!! About the size of your thumb maybe. I lose things, so thats one thing againt it, I don't want to pay $100 and lose it! Plus, looking at other monitors, I like the idea of having a watch on that I can look at see what my heart rate is so I know if I need to bump my work out up to burn more calories. They all have pro's and con's to them. I've had a few mfp friends tell me to get the polar ft4....I'm still researching and reading reviews.

I have both. I never wear the HRM because I have gotten into shape and it shows hardly any calories burned. I have had my Fitbit since March and love it! I have never lost it.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I wear it 24/7 (unless it is charging)! And when I've had problems customer service has always been quick to respond and always helpful.

I've never had problems with it recording time I've spent in the car but I've read that people who do can start the timer function to edit those steps out.

My profile is at http://www.fitbit.com/user/22HTZ2

I reached my helicopter badge (50 floors climbed) the other day and was so proud of myself! I've been sick for the last 2 weeks though so I haven't been as active as I normally am.

Edit: After seeing a couple of responses... I do also have an HRM, a Polar FT7. I use my FT7 to log my actual workouts (about an hour a day on average) and my FitBit will log any extra calories I earn chasing after my 5 yo and being a housewife.
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit, I've had mine for a little over a month. It really does make me more aware of my movement especially on lazy days :)
    I had trouble with it falling off my pants/belt just because my pants are forever getting bigger but I wear it on my bra now and have not had trouble keeping up with it!

It is not a heart rate moniter though, which is why I just purchased a heart rate moniter in addition!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options

YES, it will record time in the car as steps and floors UNLESS you log being in the car as an activity. Riding in and driving a car are activities on the Fitbit website. If you do not log it this way, you will have extra steps and calories burned that you didn't actually 'do'.
    The Fitbit is a very simple device and you do need to give it the proper information for it to calculate accurately.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    :smile: I love my fitbit. It syncs with mfp and I don't have to log any exercise. I think it underestimates on the cardio tho. If I had it all to do over again I wouldn't have spent the additional 50 dollars for the premium service on it. I would also recommend buying it from Best buy instead of directly through the maker. You can get it insured that way. Also, it is very small. It uses the same technology as the nintendo wii so maybe good and maybe not. The small size is easy to be lost also, but it's flip side is it isn't all bulky and noticeable by others. :bigsmile:
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I ve only been on MFP a week or two and i love this site.
    I Just saw the fitbit ultra tracker.
    Has anyone got it? Is it worth the money?

Yes, and it is really nice to use in conjunction with a smartphone and with MFP. I already had a nice pedometer (which I still use), but it is interesting to have near real-time energy expenditure and calorie intake data displayed.

I use MFP for all my food logging and the standard treadmill type excercises in my routine. For most walks (with the exception of backpacking, I allow the fitbit to track steps/calories burned. Fit bit gives you credit for stairs climbed 9as long as you climb more than 10 feet over a period of time in one conitnuous climb.

The fitbit software and MFP software play well together once you have them properly linked.

Unlike my pedometer, it is small and inconspicuous.
    Sorry i waited so long to get one.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump I say YES. YES and YES. I love mine! I love this site too. :smile:
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options

YES, it will record time in the car as steps and floors UNLESS you log being in the car as an activity. Riding in and driving a car are activities on the Fitbit website. If you do not log it this way, you will have extra steps and calories burned that you didn't actually 'do'.
    The Fitbit is a very simple device and you do need to give it the proper information for it to calculate accurately.
    [/quote

I did not know this!
  • Frederi825
    Frederi825 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I've had a Fit Bit for almost a year. This has not been an issue. For the insanely OCD, you could put the Fit Bit in sleep/timer mode for the duration of the car ride and then manually enter in for this same time period the "activity" of riding in a car. Fit Bit will then provide for a very modest calorie burn for that activity and not rely on the built-in pedometer. Same procedure for swimming, etc. Whenever the Fit Bit is likely to get it wrong (as when it's on your beach towel when you're swimming, or when your treadmill is set to a steep incline and the Fit Bit has no way of knowing that you're doing more than just steps), you can put it into timer mode and enter the activity you engaged in during the same time. I used to do this for my treadmill but ended up concluding that the Fit Bit was close enough with just the regular tracking built-in.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

I've never had a problem with it in the car, it has never counted it as steps walked.

I love my fitbit!!!!!!!! I've had it for a couple months and have worn it everyday! Gives me motivation to meet daily goals and lots of data to geek out on....I
    me neither i wear it on my bra & no calorie count from driving

Mine doesn't count steps in the car, either. At least nothing significant. It does advance calorie burns while in the car because it's estimating your total burn, not just your burn from exercise.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Only if you are driving over a washboard. Seriously, if you are being jostled a lot by the road AND climbing hills it will give you erroneous results. Note that FITBIT asnd MFP don't agree on calorie intake but at the end of the day they are usually within 50 calories of each other. Largest discrepancy has been about 200 calories though I could not figure out why.

You can edit out the extra steps/calories by using the FITBIT activiies tab to zero zero out the extra steps. FITBIT always assumes some basic calories expenditure because if you are checking the website, it means that you are still living and breathing.

I just checked this mornings bus ride into work. It added 8 steps during the time I was sitting and riding to work out of the 12,000 steps I've already accumulated for today.
  • lwlock
    lwlock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I noticed the Fitbit count while in the car was flights of stairs. Going through the mountains in TN gave me quite a few! I was tempted to eat those extra calories but thought better of it. :)
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

I've had a Fit Bit for almost a year. This has not been an issue. For the insanely OCD, you could put the Fit Bit in sleep/timer mode for the duration of the car ride and then manually enter in for this same time period the "activity" of riding in a car. Fit Bit will then provide for a very modest calorie burn for that activity and not rely on the built-in pedometer. Same procedure for swimming, etc. Whenever the Fit Bit is likely to get it wrong (as when it's on your beach towel when you're swimming, or when your treadmill is set to a steep incline and the Fit Bit has no way of knowing that you're doing more than just steps), you can put it into timer mode and enter the activity you engaged in during the same time. I used to do this for my treadmill but ended up concluding that the Fit Bit was close enough with just the regular tracking built-in.

This. Mine does not record riding in a car or bus etc as steps. But, if it did, I would do this.

I love my Fitbit and have used it for a few months now. I never take it off, except to shower. I would feel nakie without it. I have a new HRM arriving today, via UPS and will use them both.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I dunno but I can't justify spending 100 dollars on a glorified pedometer =/