Did anyone struggle with C25k?

Options

Replies

• phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've finally got round to starting it, yes I'm struggling because my calfs are quite muscular and always feel really heavy and like they're pulling me down but i push through it and make it to the end. I'm currently doing week 2, well I screwed it up a bit this week so instead of doing 3 days on it as recommended I only managed 1 due to things happening in the week so I'm going to do an extra 3 days next week and carry on from there! I know i'm going to struggle with it but after I did week one day 1 of it I felt so happy that I got through it I nearly had tears!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I couldn't finish the last 60 second interval on week 1, day 1. But yesterday I ran 20 minutes straight! (Week 5, day 3). That's a lifetime first for me, I never would have believed it could be possible a mere 5 weeks ago.

If you're struggling, running slow, stopping before you're supposed to... you're still going further, faster thaeople who don't even try. :)

Check out the Couch to 5k group on Fitocracy. People post after every run, and include the week/day of the plan, it's great to remind yourself where you started or see where you will end up. You absolutely can do it!
  • goforit06
    goforit06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just started and it is hard, but I try to run at a pace that is hard but that I can keep going at 60 seconds with. My husband is a better runner too and he just runs faster at the run parts to improve his time and stride. Keep going and don't get discouraged!!! Lol that's what I'm going to do too!!!!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Starting is the important part. Take your time with it and don't get down on yourself if you have to repeat a run. I had to repeat several before I finished.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to look ahead, but I had to after NoxDineen's post. I started Week 5 today- it was a bit of struggle for Day 1. I'm not one to look ahead, but I did go ahead and look at Day 3. 20 minutes straight? Gulp. I might be seeing repeats in the future. But you know what? I do not foresee quitting.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    @Dad_of_3

20 minutes non stop was the most daunting thing I have probably ever done exercise wise. Was really sure I wouldn't make it. But I did, and you will too. Because it's not as hard as you think it's going to be.

The surprising thing is, none of it is. The difficulty of the programme, is not the length or times of the runs, it's in our perceptions of those runs.

You, and by this I mean all of you, are more than capable of completing those runs. Just believe you can, it's possible, trust me. Running 28 minutes non stop was amazing for me, next stop, full 5k.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I will be completing week 2, day 2 tomorrow and the running group that I'm apart of always uses this phrase "your race, your pace" which basically means go at a pace your comfortable with. If you're jogging for 30 seconds at a snails pace, guess what, you're still moving and you're moving faster than anyone who is still at home sitting on the couch.
  • Lsufan22
    Lsufan22 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have attempted to complete C25K multiple times. Every time I seem to make an excuse not to do it. Ive gotten into week five before, and i told myself i didnt need to keep going as i was (then) in decent shape and could run a mile in under 8 minutes. So i stopped.

I am starting again today. Ipod touch, new running shoes and no excuses this time :laugh:

Good Luck to you :-)
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I did my first day of C25K today.. With my husband.

Who can run about seven miles by himself without tiring.

Needless to say I was very disappointed in myself for not being able to finish the last three 60 second run times.. But I am proud of myself for taking the first step and doing it anyway. Did anyone else struggle with starting out on the c25k?

There was a bit on the C25k website that says "run slowly, if you can run anymore slowly you are probably running to fast", it says stamina first, speed will come. It is much easier to get the times up if you slow up a little.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    The first day was one of the hardest for me. I didn't let it hold me back. I worked through it week by week, and I graduated last month :) I ran my first race (4 miles long) yesterday.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It is tough but it gets better.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I totally did. I had to repeat weeks 1 and 2 a few times...but after that it got easier. Sadly, I stopped jogging for a few MONTHS (:embarassed: :grumble: ), and will be starting C25K all over again, I'm sure I will be repeating those first few weeks again.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with the program, but don't give up. IT WORKS!! When I started, I couldn't run a minute to save my life. Now, I have completed one 5k and will run another in September. Just remember that you do not have to complete it in the 8 or 9 weeks (depends on which program you are using). Just pace yourself, and it will get easier.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Honestly I tried it a few months ago and after a couple of weeks of trying it and being in ridiculous pain in my calves and shins I finally just gave up and decided walking was a better option for me for now. Since then though I discussed slow jogging with a friend (basically just slightly faster than walking) and that isn't bad. When I walk during my breaks at work I jog on the down hills. I think I was trying to run faster than I should have when I tried the C25k. My friend told me that it is easier to do on a treadmill because you can monitor your speed easier but I don't have one. Good luck and keep trying if this is something you really want to do. I would say doing it with someone that has a closer ability level to yours would help as well.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just completed week 8, day 3, so I know what you are saying. The first time I worked through the C25K program, I was like you on the first week and it felt like it would kill me to run just those few moments! This time around I didn't try to run quite so fast in the beginning. I did some research about how to control my breathing while running so I could avoid hyperventilating, and learned that if I keep my torso as upright as possible and my shoulders dropped and relaxed, it made the jogging "easier". I'm not saying it's easy, especially at first. I'm not young (mid 40s and quite overweight) and I'm getting there. So can you!! Best of luck, and keep on plugging away.

Remember that if you find you can't complete a day, try it again in 2 or 3 days. You'll get there. I do recommend doing some other kind of cardio exercises on your non-running days. I haven't had such a difficult time working through the program this time around and I think it's because when I'm not doing c25K on the teadmill, I'm using the elliptical machine at my gym and increasing the time and intensity every few weeks.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am doing a version called Podrunner and have struggled. This is the 5th or 6th time working through it, having never finished for a variety of reasons.

Most recently was on week 5, having taken probably 10 weeks to get there when I signed up for a 5k that was 4 weeks a way. Life and work got in the way and wasn't making it to the gym. Did the 5k. Not as well as I would have liked (but faster then the last 1 i had done). Thought about where I ran into problems and decided to start over.

I started over and made it through week 5 when I did my second 5k this year. Again I did better but not as well as I wanted. Thought about where I ran into problems and started over again.

Now I'm back on week 4, which I have done 3 or 4 times. I've also been redoing week 1 but at an incline. Last time I did it at a .5 and today at a 1.0. Going to keep doing that to improve my endurance, mix up workouts, and help with hills during my next 5k - which was one if my downfalls.

Just keep at it.
  • Kunderwood04
    Options
    I completely agree with starting with walking first. I began walking for weeks before I started C25K. I am now on W7D2 and have not had any trouble with soreness. It does get easier and easier as the weeks go. I love this program and tell everyone if I can do it, anyone can if you stick with it! Good luck all!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've struggled as well. I started in April. Got through week 1 and got really sick. Was down for 2 weeks. Started over, got through week 1 and was down for a week and a half due to terrible shin splints....After that I just kept doing week 1 over and over- I was having trouble breathing. I was SUPER EXCITED when I finally got to W2D1 and was able to finish it.

FINALLY got to the Dr last week and told her what was going on. Got an inhaler and she said that I was pushing myself too hard...I didn't think I was, but obviously with the injury and breathing issues, I was...I'm fatter and more out of shape than I thought! LOL So, her advice was to go back to the beginning and start over, and not to advance until it felt comfortable....that sucks- I worked SO DAMN HARD to get to week 2!

I used the inhaler today before I went out, and I got through W1D1, although it was hard...its like Im good for about 45 seconds, and that's it. So I will be repeating this day all week (I do my work outs on Mon, Wed, and Friday)....Hopefully it will get better so I can move on next week...We'll see.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    It took me four weeks to complete week 1! And then I injured my knee so I still haven't completed week 2! But no matter what, I was moving, and making progress, so I didn't mind. And when I start again, I know it will probably take 18 weeks rather than 9, but that's ok too :)
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Didn't have too much problem up to 20 min (W5D3) and greater runs. Working on the transition from 10 - 20 - 25 min. per segment. The longer the segment, the slower my avg speed is for the segment. Starting to repeat days and throw in shorter speed interval runs on the days in between.