Starting C25K - HRM advice

Options
I'm hoping to start C25K soon. I was looking through the boards to see how people logged the C25K sessions and the consensus seemed to be that a HRM was the most accurate way.

I have dug mine out, but I bought a very basic model when I was a student (Oregon Scientific HR102) and it doesn't seem to have a calories consumed function. I have seen websites recommended on here that can work out the burn based on your average heart rate for a workout - but my HRM doesn't even seem to be able to tell you that! It tells you your heart rate as you are working out, and whether you are between your pre-set levels, and that's pretty much it.

So could C25K/running veterans tell me - should I get a new HRM? And if so, which one would be best for a novice? (but not so novice as my previous crappy purchase!) I'm in the UK and my budget is only slightly above 'student' now...

Thanks!

Replies

• mhenkel0506
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, and I love it! I think they run around $80, not sure if that is in your budget. I recommend looking up the Polar HRMs though, they are easy and accurate. Good luck with C25K - it works!!
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    behind_blue_eyes_83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I assume it does calories burned and av. heart rate? I think I'll need the luck!
  • DBRobinson13
    DBRobinson13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 405cx with the HRM. I love it. I wanted something to calculate calories burned, as well as times, avg lap pace, etc. This does it all. Unfortunatley, it's not "student budget" friendly. I think I paid around 180 on Amazon.

If you run indoors, you will need to add a foot-pod. Since I'm an outdoor runner, it doesn't matter.

When I do workout indoors (core training, boot camp, etc) , I can use the HRM to get a good estimate of calorie burn.

The watch uploads to the Garmin site and all my workouts are tracked, so I can begin to see progress/comparisons.
    Good luck!
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    Wow, thanks. Sounds a bit pricey though!

Does anyone have experience of whether the cheaper Polar FT4 compares well to the FT7?
  • clss1380
    clss1380 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use an app on your phone: runkeeper, etc

It will track your mileage, calories, pace etc
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    Thanks. I use one of these for walking and find it good, but I don't have a way to carry my phone around when running, e.g. holster etc, and it's a bit bulky.

Now tempted by Fitbit after reading more boards and reviews! Ah well, will keep researching...