Muscles too tight

Hey guys

So, I did an intense (for me, at least) cardio work out with my Martial Arts team on the 7th
It was 8 sets of double suicides and 8 minutes of Judo pushups

I'm only a yellow belt, but I ended working myself until I almost blacked out. (I didn't know my limit)

Now, my legs are fine, but my arms haven't been the same since.
(My upper body has never been a strong point for me and I've never really worked it out before.)

I wasn't really able to move my arms without pain until Friday (the 13th of July) and now my forearms and triceps feel extremely tight and bulky.
I want both the tightness and bulkiness to go away.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks again for your time :)

Chris

Replies

• cjcjcjcjcj
    cjcjcjcjcj Posts: 19
    Have you taken any NSAIDs? It seems like that might help you a little bit to reduce the swelling.
    If you prefer not to take any NSAIDs, perhaps a nice soak in Epsom salts.
    Stretch also.
    These are just things to relieve the pain, time is the only thing that might help you in this situation.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Are you stretching well after your workout? Some people need more stretching than others. You can stretch anytime after your muscles are warmed up. Stretching cold muscles can lead to injury ... not recommended.

I add short Hatha yoga (the stretching relaxing kind) workouts to my weekly routine. Rodney Yee has some short ones: AM Yoga for Your Week or Daily Yoga.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and give your muscles time to recover.
  • angelakj23
    angelakj23 Posts: 51
    Stretching, muscle relaxer, ibruprophen, and a soaking in a hot epsom salt bath will help. You can even add a topical ointment for muscle pain in addition to all of that if you want. This happened with my calves about 3 weeks ago and it sucked, I could barely walk. I did all of that and in about 3 days I was fine. Best of luck, hope you feel better soon!:flowerforyou:
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    stretch GENTLY, don't strain the muscles beyond what's necessary and drink a TON of water... it'll get better.

That happened to me once too.. took days to feel better, and I could barely move my arms without pain and and I'd even tear up a bit the first 2 days.... once it's better, try to do some weight lifting to help build those muscles and get them more contitioned, so that they don't get this way again. :)

It worked for me at least.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    a secret ingredient for sore muscles...bananas. eat one banana per 1hr of exercise.
  • ckhan52
    ckhan52 Posts: 3
    Thanks so much, you guys :)

Appreciate the tips!
    I'll let you know within a week or two whether it worked out xD
  • ckhan52
    ckhan52 Posts: 3
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I tried out your suggestions on the

Advil, stretching, and water

My arms are feeling a lot better and look significantly less swollen!

Thank you so much! :)

-Christine