Too tired to exercise?

Options
I know this probably has been asked a million times. My working hours are nuts. For example I was up at 4am and got home 8.15pm. A long long day. My job involves either hours of driving or hours of standing in one spot. Both require intense concentration (I present to several large groups on a daily basis and have to overcome any tiredness or negative emotions which is almost tiring in itself)

My job isn't routine and times can vary to even having days off. Any tips on how I should get my a*se in gear when I feel like a dead donkey? thanks xx

Replies

• Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    no matter how tired I am - I know that an exercise session makes me feel better. It clears my head, it makes me feel more focused and in control and I always feel more energised. You say that your time fluctuates for exercising - it doesn't alwayshave to be a huge session all the time - try doing some of the 10 min exercise sessions on youtube , blast the energy levels a bit and then on the days off make a more concentrated effort.

do you know what your schedule is like in advance? - give it a look and dairy exercise in like you would a meeting just make it par to fyour routine - if you were knackered and it was time to go to work you wouldn't not go in -just think of exercise as the same.
  • Xtinajacob
    Xtinajacob Posts: 44
    Options
    What about that 10 minute workout that is advertised on tv...something about only 10 mintues a day and you are guarenteed to get results.
  • shan10
    shan10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to walk on one of my breaks at least once a day, maybe you can take the time out of your busy schedule to do that. I also take the stairs instead of elevator.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Maybe just learn some simple yoga moves you can do in almost any location? Something to just reenergize, refocus and provide a good stretch and light burn.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you did an hour of exercise on both Saturday and Sunday, you will still have time to do fun things/errands/relax/whatever else you do on weekends. Some people really cannot fit an exercise schedule into their work schedule... Also there does come a point for a lot of people when they have to ask themselves, "can I deal with a job that has robbed me of a personal life?" and for many, the answer is "no"... Something to think about. Until then, work with what you CAN do. If you don't have a lot of exercise time, you can still improve your eating habits.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is a pre workout supplement, when it kicks in I have to workout! :)

Russ
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    All I can say is just do it. Most days I'm ready to throw in the towel and quit at the end of my work day. But I've scheduled in workouts MWF after work. I go and do what I can. If I'm truly too tired, I'll do a 10 minute walk on a dreadmill and go home. Most days I'm able to do a lot more. And it does get easier the more I do it.

Being a graduate student, my hours tend to be very variable. Some weeks I work tons, others not so much. But I keep my gym appointments because they are just as important to my well being as work is!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    make yourself work out for 10 minutes, if after the 10 minutes are up, u still just feel way too tired, then don't do it. usually after 10 minutes u will start to feel okay and be able to complete ur work-out
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am tired to excerise de to meds that i am on. I usually have to oush myself to do it and it literally takes everythng i have to do it. Maybe push yourself to the brink to go work out
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    I just found something that gives me a boost of energy after a long day of work, so I can get through my worklout..
    Gatorade Prime Energy Chews, I just tried them the other day for the first time because I felt super sluggish, and they really worked! You just eat 1 pack (6 chews) about 15 minutes prior to a workout or you can just eat them for an extra boost during your day. They really worked for me, so maybe they will work for you too! Good luck!!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Drink loads of water - seriously. Drink as much as you can. Then chose a loo that involves a few minutes walking to.. if you go 5 times a day and the loo is 4 minutes walk then you are going to get 35 minutes of walking for nothing at all. Park your car at the back of the car park and walk in. go for a 10 minute walk at lunch etc. All the little bits will add up to an amount that actually counts :-)
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Planning is key for me. I live by that quote, "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail." One of the above posters mentioned scheduling it. That is what I do. I block the time as a meeting and then if I have to work over that block, I move it another hole in my day. If I cannot get it in that day, looks like I will be staying up late or getting up early the next day. It sounds like you are pretty committed to your job, so it should be easier to put some emphasis on getting in your workouts.

One other thing, is you might have the doctor check your vitamin levels. My husband was always tired and it turned out he had a major vitamin B deficiency. A daily supplement fixed it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Just do it. Exercise always invigorates me. Not working now, but when I was, I was like you. Very long hours, except I never got extra days off, usually worked extra days. I could be dead on the couch and when I got up and changed to my workout clothes it was hard getting started, but it *always* made me feel better. That's what always gave me the motivation to get off my *kitten* and get started. The only thing; sometimes if you exercise too close to bedtime it keeps you awake, because of the invigorating effect. Good luck!
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agree with many other posters here. My job used to be like that as well which makes it a thousand times harder to work out. I had to force myself to do it and some days I would wimp out. Schedule at least 10 minutes - mentally that will seem like an easy enough goal. Its true that once you get going, you will feel better and will more than likely keep going.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is where habit kicks in. Right now your body is resisting the exercise because it is new to you. You need to pick a specific time of the day that works best for you and then exercise everyday. Eventually you body will get used to it and you will build a habit around it. Buy habit formation doesn't happen overnight, you are going to need to work at it.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Me too! I also have stupid work hours. I just exercise on my off days & try to do little things during the day. It is hard to do.
    If anyone has the magic cure, send it my way too please!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I would recommend trying for a morning workout, with that kind of schedule it will always be easy to make excuses and skip it at the end of the day. If you wake up a bit earlier 2-3 days a week, you will realize you actually get to work feeling more energized and focused than if you had just slept in! It sounds like nonsense, but you should give it a try. Getting your blood flowing early will help prepare for your long days of teaching. After a few weeks it will start to become routine.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Drink loads of water and try a workout video like 30 Day Shred that is only about 25 minutes. It's fast paced so you won't have time to think about how tired you are and it's effective.

Best of luck!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    as my husband would say (hes an active duty Marine)..." If you have time to sleep, you have time to workout"
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Understand but you have to make time. Some how. Some way. Even twice a week to begin. Make it happen. Excuses = pounds. If you don't mind pounds then keep making excuses. Don't mean to sound cold or anything but its a simple fact that exercise will greatly aid your weight loss and lead to a fitter lifestyle.