Underweight but healthy?

Options
I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'm curious what others think:

I am slightly underweight (5 ft tall & 89 lbs). I am a vegan, but I eat extremely healthily and meet my caloric & nutritional requirements everyday as well as taking my vitamins. I exercise about 5 times a week, and I do yoga on a daily basis. I'm also very toned and do, in fact, have lean, healthy muscles and little fat. I do not have any medical problems except for anemia which is genetic and because of an unbalanced vegetarian diet a few years ago (I know take iron supplements and B-Complex supplements as directed by my doctor).

So knowing all of this, is it safe to say that I am healthy despite the scale saying I'm not?

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You are underweight. Consistently consuming not enough calories is not healthy...regardless of what those calories are made up of. Working out like a maniac doesn't make you any healthier either. It just puts more stress on a body that is undernourished. You may not feel the effects now but down the road you will. Also...the pictures on your profile displaying your ribs and hipbones don't look healthy either...it just looks emaciated and eating disordered.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am inclined to agree. At your height and weight, you are not healthy.

Toned is NOT an indication of health. It is an indication of body fat percentage.

My suggestion to you is to add an entire meal to your diet and lift some moderate weights (will need extra protein). If we are going to suggest you gain some weight, might as well be some good weight!
  • lovethemgorillaz
    lovethemgorillaz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been recovering from an eating disorder for a while now, but I've been on track and regained my health and some of the weight. However, like I wrote in my description, I meet my daily requirement of calories & nutrition to maintain my weight, though sometimes it is even over that. When I say "exercise 5 times a week" my exercises consist of light-weight training and low-impact cardio not "working out like a manic" exercises.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see your food diary. What do you have your goal set to? Maintenance? Weight gain? I'm confused by your ticker.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Underweight = not healthy. Eat more. Get just to the lowest point of healthy weight and you'll be good. You don't have to gain 50 lbs.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat a little more?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Your diet meets your caloric needs to maintain your weight... but you are underweight, so your diet is not sufficient. I also honestly am unsure how someone can eat just enough to remain 89 pounds and meet their nutritional needs.

Eating Disorders are never good, so I can sympathize with you. Your goal should be to put on about 20 pounds honestly. Which should be like 17 of muscle and 3 of fat or similar.

Light weights will not suffice. You should be using heavier weights that really push you so you can build some muscle. Appearance wise, you won't look as skinny no, but you sure in heck won't appear out of shape at all!

Sounds like your foundation is good, but the house ain't fully built yet. :)
  • lovethemgorillaz
    Options
    My settings are at maintain right now (though I change it back and forth sometimes from gaining and maintaining) and it is at "active" since I'm on my feet most of the day. This means I need to eat between 1600-1800 and I burn about 100-200 calories a day, but I always have a net in between those numbers.

The ticker looks like that because I have it set on a goal weight of a high weight than I am.
  • lovethemgorillaz
    Options
    But see, the lowest weight for my height is 94 lbs, and I fluctuate between 89 and 90... so is the 4 lbs really going to make that much of a difference?
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor that and perhaps have a DEXA scan which will accurately tell your lean/fatty tissue ratio. Those weight scales are, like most things, generalizations. It is possible to be healthy while technically overweight and underweight as long as you are maintaining a healthy lean/fatty tissue ratio and your body is functioning properly. As I said earlier, I recommend talking with your doctor and/or a dietician if you are concerned about your weight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you are receiving counseling to help you recover. 'Working out like a maniac' means 5 days a week PLUS yoga everyday....that's a lot of physical activity for someone recovering from a ED. Your top priority would be to EAT MORE (once again hopefully you are seeking counseling to help with this). Exercise when your body is already under so much stress is not a good thing. You need to be kind to your body during this recovery period. This is one of the rare times on MFP where we'll say - EAT MORE, MOVE LESS!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    what does your doctor say?
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I was as unhealthy underweight as I was for the brief period I was over. No energy, nothing. Its a lot harder to gain weight the healthy way, in spite of what people think. I'd gain a few lbs. I gained 5lbs and never felt better.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My settings are at maintain right now (though I change it back and forth sometimes from gaining and maintaining) and it is at "active" since I'm on my feet most of the day. This means I need to eat between 1600-1800 and I burn about 100-200 calories a day, but I always have a net in between those numbers.

The ticker looks like that because I have it set on a goal weight of a high weight than I am.

I'm 119 and 5'7, the tip of underweight/healthy. I eat over 2000 calories a day and I don't exercise excessively. If you have no health problems, you're exercising regularly (but are not in extreme mode for no reason), and your eating in the 4 digit numbers that begin with at least a 2, then I think you're pretty safe. And I mean actually eating that number, not hugely guessing. Weighting food etc. I was underweight most of my life and my doctor told me I was fine. That being said I didn't have an eating disorder. If you have unhealthy thoughts it's probably not best to linger in the underweight zone for the sake of fear. You can naturally look awesome without being a specific weight. It's mostly about body fat anyhow.

By the sounds of it you should concentrate on macro and micro nutrients more then weight. Don't expect to get your nutrients from vitamins, many vitamin supplements do not absorb *kitten* well as food vitamins.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing the right things. It may help to increase your calories just a little each day. Maybe strive to hit 2,000 (if you are currently at 1,600-1,800) if after a month or two of doing that and you still aren't putting on weight, I'd just keep maintaining.
  • melisssa81
    Options
    Not healthy. Being that underweight puts stress on your cardiovascular system.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As far as your weight goes, that is something you need to discuss with a medical professional, I don't think we are qualified to tell you what is healthy for you. If your doctor thinks that you need to gain weight, an easy way to do so is to add small amounts of high calorie foods to your diet--nuts, avocado, and oils (e.g. extra virgin olive oil, hemp seed oil) are all good options. You could also consider adding smoothies that combine fruit, nut butter or avocado, protein powder, and something like almond milk. They can be quite tasty and provide a lot of nutrients.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    People on a diet website can not tell you if you are healthy or not. If you are recovering from an ED, then I assume you have a doctor that you see regularly. What does your doctor say? Since this appears to be a concern for you, I would suggest scheduling a routine exam with your doctor to discuss your concerns and have tests run if necessary.
  • lovethemgorillaz
    Options
    As far as your weight goes, that is something you need to discuss with a medical professional, I don't think we are qualified to tell you what is healthy for you. If your doctor thinks that you need to gain weight, an easy way to do so is to add small amounts of high calorie foods to your diet--nuts, avocado, and oils (e.g. extra virgin olive oil, hemp seed oil) are all good options. You could also consider adding smoothies that combine fruit, nut butter or avocado, protein powder, and something like almond milk. They can be quite tasty and provide a lot of nutrients.

Yes, of course, I plan on talking to my doctor the next time I go in. I have a smoothie every day (with fruits, leafy greens, nuts & protein powder) as a snack and I agree it's super beneficial at upping my calories healthily not to mention absolutely delicious and refreshing.
  • NevrOvr
    NevrOvr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd say only YOU know the real answer to your question. If you really do eat that many calories and are able to work out every day without feeling exhausted, and if you really don't have any medical problems - then you might be healthy even with a low weight. Just like some people might have a BMI over 25 and are technically overweight, but they are just muscular.

Being honest with YOURSELF is the key!!

I've dealt with an eating disorder for 15 years (and have been told this lasts one's entire life,) but I am confident that I am doing very well. The problem with asking other people who have NEVER had an ED if you are healthy, is that they will always tell you you are not. So what are you supposed to do? Stop working out? Start eating ice cream for dinner? No, you still have to stick to the same healthy fitness and nutrition code everyone else does, just watch out for...you know...those lies you tell yourself.

That's my 2 cents...